Cruise Ship Safety Law Passed (and new terminal at port canaveral)

How else are you going to create more jobs... Make more rules, that requires people to retrofit. Force the companies to pay fines, that means more revenue. The companies will raise their rates, but that is no big deal as then we get more tax dollars.

I'm a retired Navy man, I spent many years on Navy ships & no one in those many years ever fell off. The difference, I believe is that there is no (legal) alcohol on Navy ships & a whole lot of alcohol on cruise ships. As it is, it is nearly impossible to fall off a cruise ship. A person can be picked up & thrown off, or a person could climb up on the rail & end up in the water. Raising the height of the rail would just mean someone has to stand on something higher to "fall off."

You would think that Congress would talk to the Navy and/or Coast Guard about shipboard safety before coming up with these ideas. I don't see a higher rail adding anything to shipboard safety. You can't fix stupid.

You would think that Congress would talk to the Navy and/or Coast Guard about shipboard safety before coming up with these ideas. I don't see a higher rail adding anything to shipboard safety. You can't fix stupid.

Why would they want to do that? Nobody likes being told they are wrong. Besides, don't they want to get rid of the military?

Loved your comment; I enjoyed a good laugh.

We were actually on Voyager (I think) when they installed a peep hole in our JS. I am not tall enough to

see out of them, though. I would have to get a chair to

see who was knocking! LOL! :D

I'm a retired Navy man, I spent many years on Navy ships & no one in those many years ever fell off. The difference, I believe is that there is no (legal) alcohol on Navy ships & a whole lot of alcohol on cruise ships. As it is, it is nearly impossible to fall off a cruise ship. A person can be picked up & thrown off, or a person could climb up on the rail & end up in the water. Raising the height of the rail would just mean someone has to stand on something higher to "fall off."

what about the British navy?

They have had peep holes in the cabin doors on each of the last three RCI ships we have been on. They started adding these in a couple of years ago.

Eric

Odd enough our last cruise I am sure our cabin was one of the only ones on the whole ship without the peep hole. They were in all other cabins we passed, just not ours...RFS...

Odd enough our last cruise I am sure our cabin was one of the only ones on the whole ship without the peep hole. They were in all other cabins we passed, just not ours...RFS...

Then you were one of the only ones safe from this:

http://www.lightinthebox.com/Spy-Peephole-Reverser-Anti-Peephole-Security-Device--DCE447-_p90082.html

I was thrying to think of a safer way to say put some paper over the hole, but I can't:p

I once saw someone standing on top of the rail to tale a picture! A crew member!

The whole sexual assault kits and investigators make me think this is a big problem, having 2 teen daughters we travel with kinds worries me. Is anyone else surprised about this?

It's not a big problem. It's probably a smaller problem than exists on land, but they don't currently have the tools necessary to handle it best on a ship. You can check here - cruisejunkie dot com - and find all the reported instances.

Note to politicians: Please don't mess with cruising. They already have laws so the ships can't economically be flagged in the US and you can't travel from one US port and get off at another. These new laws may make it so cruise ships don't port in the US. I don't want to have to fly to a foreign country to cruise. I like driving to port. All these new laws are scary.

[quote name='wolfcathorse'] But I have to stand on tip toe or jump up and down to look out them. I have a height handicap.[/quote]

Oh I so know that feeling....I was the acting branch manager for a new branch of our bank being built...the VP of branch ops asked for two peep holes to be put in the vault room door...one regular height and one "Karen height":p She also gave me a folding step stool with my name very prettily painted on it (I'm only 5'1") for use in other areas of the branch:o

Archived