Are RCI diddling us.....

Hello,

I am hoping my fellow Cruise lovers and advisers can help me out here.

Story so far....

I recently booked a follow on cruise while on board the Splendour and we got a good deal for 2011.

110 Euros off per person and $200 dollar OBC and a room upgrade also for booking on board (although I think that is questionable, it is the same room size and indoors but an L is a couple hundred euros more then a Q or a M). We were happy with the booking we made on board and we have 2 interconnecting rooms.

As regular cruisers with RCI in the past few years, we reached Platinum after our cruise on Splendour. A few weeks back, I received some vouchers on reaching this level as an acknowledgment for our loyalty $100 dollars off per stateroom and we have two reserved.

I posted them to RCI UK whom we book with. Today, I received a letter in the post returning the vouchers from their operations department as they are not combinable with the offer we have received.

Now I know there is a lot of chat on these forums about what is and isn't possible with promotions/discounts/offers etc and I genuinely thought that what I was doing was ok.

I would very much appreciate the feedback from my fellow CC'ers on this. Are RCI correct, or should I pursue it further and with whom ?

Awaiting your replies in anticipation.

Thanks as always,

S

Hello,

Story so far....

I recently booked a follow on cruise while on board the Splendour and we got a good deal for 2011.

110 Euros off per person and $200 dollar OBC and a room upgrade also for booking on board (although I think that is questionable, it is the same room size and indoors but an L is a couple hundred euros more then a Q or a M). We were happy with the booking we made on board and we have 2 interconnecting rooms.

As regular cruisers with RCI in the past few years, we reached Platinum after our cruise on Splendour. A few weeks back, I received some vouchers on reaching this level as an acknowledgment for our loyalty $100 dollars off per stateroom and we have two reserved.

I posted them to RCI UK whom we book with. Today, I received a letter in the post returning the vouchers from their operations department as they are not combinable with the offer we have received.

Now I know there is a lot of chat on these forums about what is and isn't possible with promotions/discounts/offers etc and I genuinely thought that what I was doing was ok.

I would very much appreciate the feedback from my fellow CC'ers on this. Are RCI correct, or should I pursue it further and with whom ?

Thanks as always,

S

As you noted, RCI is no longer allowing a combining of most of their discounts. I would say if RCI says they are not combinable, then they are not combinable - especially as they are both RCI discounts so their rules. :)

In the fine print did your vouchers say "For new bookings only"? Usually although they send these to you, it does not apply to bookings you already have, but have not yet cruised on. They have to be used on a completely new booking and surrendered at the time of the booking. Hope this helps answer your question:)

In the fine print did your vouchers say "For new bookings only"? Usually although they send these to you, it does not apply to bookings you already have, but have not yet cruised on. They have to be used on a completely new booking and surrendered at the time of the booking. Hope this helps answer your question:)

Nope, just reading the document and all it says is not combinable with restricted fares. I wasn't advised at the time of booking we are on a restricted fare..

Nope, just reading the document and all it says is not combinable with restricted fares. I wasn't advised at the time of booking we are on a restricted fare..

But on-board booking is a restricted fare. It is restricted to those booking while on board (not available to everyone). :)

I don't know if they do things the same way for you folks across the pond like they do for us when we book a cruise on board..............but when bookings are made on board any ship we get an OBC (that is determined by the number of nights) and then either a P/D/D+ balcony discount or a C&A $$$ Savings Certificate, if one becomes available. As of June 1, we can now have 2 benefits.

If, when you booked your cruise on Splendour, you did receive two benefits, and from your explanation, it appears that you did...........then the Thank You letter that you received with the $100 coupon can not be used because you are already receiving two benefits for your cruise.

But on-board booking is a restricted fare. It is restricted to those booking while on board (not available to everyone). :)

Yes, I know we are lucky to have cruised this May and to be looking forward to our next years vacation. I appreciate it a lot esp in our tough economic times...

I don't know if they do things the same way for you folks across the pond like they do for us when we book a cruise on board..............but when bookings on made on board any ship we get an OBC (that is determined by the number of nights) and then either a P/D/D+ balcony discount or a C&A $$$ Savings Certificate, if one becomes available. As of June 1, we can now have 2 benefits.

If, when you booked your cruise on Splendour, you did receive two benefits, and from your explanation, it appears that you did...........then the Thank You letter that you received with the $100 coupon can not be used because you are already receiving two benefits for your cruise.

Tks 4 your reply Cruisenfever. I guess it is not possible any more to be loyal, We have booked 14 mths in advance and still the perk that we this will be our 6th cruise isn't available to us. Even though we booked this on board, I have tracked it, and it is still available to a newbie off the street without ever have been on a cruiseliner. So, it looks like RCI don't look after their repeat customers and are just interested in booking via any channel...

Tks 4 your reply Cruisenfever. I guess it is not possible any more to be loyal, We have booked 14 mths in advance and still the perk that we this will be our 6th cruise isn't available to us. Even though we booked this on board, I have tracked it, and it is still available to a newbie off the street without ever have been on a cruiseliner. So, it looks like RCI don't look after their repeat customers and are just interested in booking via any channel...

These are sentiments shared by many of the RCI loyal...... :(:)

Tks 4 your reply Cruisenfever. I guess it is not possible any more to be loyal, bokk 14 mths in advance and still the perk that we this will be our 6th cruise. Even though we booked this on noard I have tracke it and it is still available to a newbie off the street without ever have been on a cruiseliner. So, it looks like RCI don't look after their repeat customers and are just interested in booking via any channel...

Unfortunately the combining of benefits did not go into effect until June 1 for all cruises booked on and after that date.

It looks like you booked in May while on Splendour so you received the promo they were offering at that time which was an OBC and then a cabin upgrade (pay for the lower cabin category, but are booked in a higher cabin category....room size doesn't matter........location does).

Unfortunately the combining of benefits did not go into effect until June 1 for all cruises booked on and after that date.

It looks like you booked in May while on Splendour so you received the promo they were offering at that time which was an OBC and then a cabin upgrade (pay for the lower cabin category, but are booked in a higher cabin category....room size doesn't matter........location does).

We booked June 15th, they weren't able to answer our questions so allowed us this timeframe to book. Does this mean they are combinable and how should I prroceed ??

".. Or, if you are sailing on board one of our ships from 1st June 2010, Crown & Anchor Society members only will enjoy the benefit of booking their next cruise on board! As a member, you will receive the new and exclusive Onboard Booking Bonus for an onboard credit of up to USD 200. When you use it with your Balcony and Deluxe Stateroom Discount OR your Crown & Anchor Society Savings Certificate, you can save more than ever before! "

.......I read this as you can have your OBC from booking on board and your C&A certificate as of June 1st

The OP seems to have an L inside so he cannot have a balcony discount for being platinum, therefore he should be allowed to use his C&A voucher. Yes?

We booked June 15th, they weren't able to answer our questions so allowed us this timeframe to book. Does this mean they are combinable and how should I prroceed ??

If you booked on a ship after June 1, then you are allowed two benefits. One would be your OBC from booking on board and the other would either be a balcony discount or a C&A Savings Certificate if one becomes available.

Since Albert pointed out that you did not book a balcony you other alternative would be a C&A Savings Certificate. But we don't know if one is or will become available for your cruise at this time.

However, since C&A sent you a voucher for $100 off your cabin (which appears to be different than the quarterly issued C&A Savings Certificates on the website), then I would say YES, you can use that in combination with your OBC.

I would call back and ask to speak to a supervisor.

".. Or, if you are sailing on board one of our ships from 1st June 2010, Crown & Anchor Society members only will enjoy the benefit of booking their next cruise on board! As a member, you will receive the new and exclusive Onboard Booking Bonus for an onboard credit of up to USD 200. When you use it with your Balcony and Deluxe Stateroom Discount OR your Crown & Anchor Society Savings Certificate, you can save more than ever before! "

.......I read this as you can have your OBC from booking on board and your C&A certificate as of June 1st

The OP seems to have an L inside so he cannot have a balcony discount for being platinum, therefore he should be allowed to use his C&A voucher. Yes?

Thanks Albert for pointing that out about the OP not booking a balcony............:o:)

If you booked on a ship after June 1, then you are allowed two benefits. One would be your OBC from booking on board and the other would either be a balcony discount or a C&A Savings Certificate if one becomes available.

Since Albert pointed out that you did not book a balcony you other alternative would be a C&A Savings Certificate. But we don't know if one is or will become available for your cruise at this time.

However, since C&A sent you a voucher for $100 off your cabin (which appears to be different than the quarterly issued C&A Savings Certificates on the website), then I would say YES, you can use that in combination with your OBC.

I do not recall where I saw it, but I remember when all of this started, I read the following:

It is NOT combinable with a "thank you" coupon or other type of RC coupon, ONLY the C&A coupons that are offered on their website under "member benefits".

It was probably in one of several emails RC sent me on the subject.

Since OP says that his certificate says specifically that it is NOT combinable with other restricted fares - wouldn't that say that it could not be combined with on-board booking? Isn't on-board booking a restricted fare since it is not open to the general public? Just curious......

Hello,

Story so far....

Thanks as always,

S

Almost exactly the same think happened me. I wrote a complaint letter, but they didn't budge :mad:. Think our American cousins seem to be treated much better by RCI than we are on this siide of the pond. Ah well c'est la vie! :)

Almost exactly the same think happened me. I wrote a complaint letter, but they didn't budge :mad:. Think our American cousins seem to be treated much better by RCI than we are on this siide of the pond. Ah well c'est la vie! :)

Not so sure about that. 110 Euros off plus OBC plus category upgrade sounds better than most onboard booking offers I've seen. I've never booked onboard, because there was very little incentive to do so.

Not so sure about that. 110 Euros off plus OBC plus category upgrade sounds better than most onboard booking offers I've seen. I've never booked onboard, because there was very little incentive to do so.

We didn't get any discount, nor did we get an upgrade offer when we booked on board. Wed did however get onboard credit

We weren't able to redeem the vouchers they posted out to my home either....still going on th cruise, can't wait, but every penny I saved would've gone back to our bar tab or on board spend.

It doesn't make sense in todays competitive climate to alienate customers, not sure what they're at!

BAD BAD RCI ;)

The UK always seems to have a £100pp early booking discount running - so €110 is just this equivalent in € - available to all so nothing 'special' and the fares on board are the same as anyone sees on the website so not 'restrictive'.

Archived