Seward-Anchorage ideas post cruise

jjlasolas

After a 7 day cruise from Vancouver, I would love to hear your ideas for a day in Seward and then to Anchorage. I have already looked at www.seward.com, which has great ideas, but your opinions are much better!

Right now we have reserved a rental car from Seward, but are debating if we need one. We arrive in Seward on Fri morning and our flight leaves from Anchorage on Sun nite around 9pm. So, we have about 2 1/2 days before our flight. I think we could do things like the Exit Glacier, Kenai Fjords, but is there anything like that we can do on our own, or do we have to schedule specific tours in Seward?

Is the drive or train ride better from Seward to Anchorage...or about the same?

Then in Anchorage-what are some ideas for spending 2 days?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Hi there... I have been having the same challenge of trying to figure out what to do in Seward. I recently posted something and many people recommend the Kenai Fijord boat tours -- our young family isn't keen on packing into the boat for the tour so we're skipping that.

I think we're going to take the bus to Exit Glacier for a hike and then spend a few hours at the Sea Life Center. Everything I've read on these boards and TripAdvisor says not to miss either of these. More info is on http://www.seward.com -- good luck!

Scenery is superior from the train on a Seward/Anchorage transit. A car gives you plenty of freedom for departure and stops. So either could be a good choice.

As only my opinion, and highly recommending a Kenai Fjords boat tour, this is a significant opportunity for varied wildlife viewing, that Alaska is noted for and definately a top tour choice. It isn't just a "boat" ride, nor is, it not constantly offering spectacular scenery. :) Some may think wildlife is "everywhere" and easily seen, it's not. And being taken direct to areas, can be a big bonus, for those who have this priority for their visit.

Exit Glacier can involve a lot to a little time. If considering the Harding Ice field trek, that will take most of a day, if just a short time at the upper trail, then you have time for plenty else.

With your 3 days, You may want to consider spending the day in Seward, then taking the train to Anchorage. Next day, pick up the car, and drive to Hatcher Pass, Matansuka glacier trekking, Talkeetna, Turnagain Arm/Portage etc etc etc. IF your interests are more in Seward, then stay the first night there- no need for a car, then consider the train the next day, with one overnight in Anchorage. Your last day can be filled with Anchorage touring. Allow a 2 hour window at Anchorage airport.

As only my opinion, and highly recommending a Kenai Fjords boat tour, this is a significant opportunity for varied wildlife viewing, that Alaska is noted for and definately a top tour choice. It isn't just a "boat" ride, nor is, it not constantly offering spectacular scenery. :) Some may think wildlife is "everywhere" and easily seen, it's not. And being taken direct to areas, can be a big bonus, for those who have this priority for their visit.

From all the reviews, I'd like to do this. But I am concerned about seasickness if weather isn't good (I'll assume good weather and we'd be fine). B/c this is the "best" thing to do in Seward according to many, I assume it gets filled up so you must book early, is that true?

I'd like to wing it and see how the weather is but if they are looking to fill the ship, will they give you the true forecast? My worst case would be them telling me as we are leaving the dock that they "hope" to make it out of the bay but they don't know with the weather. I wouldn't want the version that doesn't leave the bay. Do they make that call before you depart and allow you to cancel without penalty if they are only offering the shorter Bay tour?

Thanks.

From all the reviews, I'd like to do this. But I am concerned about seasickness if weather isn't good (I'll assume good weather and we'd be fine). B/c this is the "best" thing to do in Seward according to many, I assume it gets filled up so you must book early, is that true?

I'd like to wing it and see how the weather is but if they are looking to fill the ship, will they give you the true forecast? My worst case would be them telling me as we are leaving the dock that they "hope" to make it out of the bay but they don't know with the weather. I wouldn't want the version that doesn't leave the bay. Do they make that call before you depart and allow you to cancel without penalty if they are only offering the shorter Bay tour?

Thanks.

Sorry, but even if the Seward weather "looks good", you still are sailing in the Gulf of Alaska, and cross sailing currents. It gets worse, during bad weather, but is rarely a "smooth" trip even in "good" weather. IF motion sickness is a concern, this tour may not be for you. But, I would suggest you might want to consult your health care professional, and get precaution advice. I continue to see sick passengers EVERY trip, including the last two, I did in June.

IF you are not looking to use any coupons/discounted fares, you very likely can get walk up tickets. There are two companies to choose from. IF this is your cruise disembarkment day, I would definately call ahead and find out how their booking is, and make your decision based on it.

It can happen that a trip is shortened, during the trip, with a refund adjustment given. Contact both companies for direct information on their cancelation refunds.

But, I would suggest you might want to consult your health care professional, and get precaution advice. I continue to see sick passengers EVERY trip, including the last two, I did in June.

Thanks for the info. I'm actually sure I can medicate appropriately but I'm wondering about the kids and if their kiddie version of bonine will work. To give me a feel on the odds, if two were sick, that was out of how many onboard? And were they just real sensitive, the seas were 1-2ft or was it a 4-6ft or higher and the boat constantly bobbed up and down?

Thanks for the info. I'm actually sure I can medicate appropriately but I'm wondering about the kids and if their kiddie version of bonine will work. To give me a feel on the odds, if two were sick, that was out of how many onboard? And were they just real sensitive, the seas were 1-2ft or was it a 4-6ft or higher and the boat constantly bobbed up and down?

My "2" reference is for 2 trips, which I took two days in a row. :) Out of probably 100++ people between the two trips, I saw at least 10 ill. But I wasn't looking either. These were people I passed as I was moving about the boat.

Best, continued advice, consult health care professionals for advice. My prior trips, have no correlation to what YOUR trip will be.

Archived