Legend & Smoking - piano bar and trivia

daldog

I have never been on Carnival before and we are looking at a family cruise with 3 generations on the Legend out of Tampa (comparing it against NCL Pearl and Crown Princess).

I am a little worried about reading that Carnival's smoking policy is relaxed compared to other lines and specifically that you can smoke in the piano bar - which my husband will love! However, my mom is a regular Princess cruiser, and she hates cigarette smoke. Two of her favorite activities are listening to the piano players and playing trivia. It wouldn't be good if she felt like she couldn't do these things (she's in her 70s).

So, I am wondering if anyone can comment on how smoky they felt the piano bar is (how enclosed is it?) and whether there is anywhere else to listen to music that is non-smoking.

Also, any trivia players out there? Can you tell me where trivia was held and whether it was a smoking area or not?

Thanks in advance!

It is such a subjective hot issue...no one has answered so I will try..them more may chime in...I thought the trapped by smoke feeling was minimal on the Paradise June before last..only experience.

The only bad area was Cigar Bar. This was the 4 day way after smoking was allowed. I have heard there are more restrictions on this ship still..don't know how it differs. Had an inside on Empress...hall etc. was never smokey.

Kareoke was fine...did not go to Piano Bar..so can not comment..but there was no aftersmoke smell the next day at the Afternoon Tea in there in did attend..hope more answer you...sjn.

PS..All lounges for the games and evening shows were ok.

ok = not smokey for me

I have never been on Carnival before and we are looking at a family cruise with 3 generations on the Legend out of Tampa (comparing it against NCL Pearl and Crown Princess).

I am a little worried about reading that Carnival's smoking policy is relaxed compared to other lines and specifically that you can smoke in the piano bar - which my husband will love! However, my mom is a regular Princess cruiser, and she hates cigarette smoke. Two of her favorite activities are listening to the piano players and playing trivia. It wouldn't be good if she felt like she couldn't do these things (she's in her 70s).

So, I am wondering if anyone can comment on how smoky they felt the piano bar is (how enclosed is it?) and whether there is anywhere else to listen to music that is non-smoking.

Also, any trivia players out there? Can you tell me where trivia was held and whether it was a smoking area or not?

Thanks in advance!

First let me answer the trivia part. Trivia is held in different locations around the ship. You will be able to find the locations in your Fun Times paper each day. As I recall, the trivia is held in non smoking locations.

Now the piano Bar. The piano bar on the Legend is a great place to go depending on the piano player. When we were on the Legend, it was packed every night and yes, there were smokers in the lounge. I am a former smoker, I quit 22 years ago, and the smoke didn't bother me at all. I would imagine that each sailing could be different. For example there may not have been as many smokeers on our cruise, hence, the smoke in the lounge wasn't that bad. Also, if I remember correctly, there is a portion of the piano bar that is non smoking.

There are several lounges that have music and are totally non smoking. Check you Funtimes to see when the music will be played in the lounges. I hope this helps.

Maybe I understood wrong but just to be clear, the piano bar is usually only open and night and is a bit more rowdy. This is a "everyone's drinking, smoking and singing along" adults only kind of deal. If your mom is just looking to sit somewhere comfortable and listen to some nice music, she may prefer the lobby or cigar lounge when those venues have scheduled performances, which could be jazz, piano, lounge singing, etc. The cigar lounges have recently been made non-smoking, oddly enough. :-)

She's not necessarily looking for "old" music .... she actually really likes the sing-along kind of crowds. Her favorite on Princess is a guy that kind of gets on my nerves after awhile. He puts on an interactive kind of show where he gets everyone to join in, a little bit of comedy thrown in, and she loves him. And she likes to take the grandkids, so maybe it's not what she's looking for. And "rowdy" maybe not, too. ;)

And an awful piano player, lol - well, that's just not good at all! :p Funny.

But I am reassured to know that it sounds like she could at least check out the piano bar and find a seat away from the smoke. Whether or not she likes it, well..... who knows. And as long as there are other venues that have things she likes that are non-smoking, it takes that worry off my list.

Cigar bars were non-smoking for a trial period. Carnival has yet to determine what the future will hold. Also, piano bar is under consideration for non-smoking. No guarantees as yet what you will experience on your upcoming cruise.

There are, however, many non-smoking areas onboard, the main and smaller show lounges, for example, and a few of the lounges with entertainment are designated non-smoking areas.

Many have stated the piano bars are full of smoke. Guess it depends on who is onboard.

Just giving you a heads-up. (BTW, I am a smoker just passing on information I have read on these boards.)

Archived