Need help deciding which zipline company to go with

YoungRestlessOne

Please help me decide which zipline excursion to go with. We have researched Princeville Ranch and Kauai Backcountry Adventures on Kauai and have also looked at the Skyline Eco-Tours for Haleakala and Ka'anapali on Maui. We are trying to plan our second day in Maui and have nothing scheduled right now. We had initially thought about doing the bike ride down the volcano or the Atlantis Submarine for Maui Day 2, but after reading less than favorable things about both experiences, we are thinking those aren't wise choices. Initially, we also planned to do ziplining on Kauai as part of our North Shore exploration since we are going to rent a car. But now we're thinking if we zipline in Maui on Day 2, that might free up some time on Kauai for Day 1 (with possible extra time to do part of the Kalalau Trail hike?). These are the only parts of our Hawaii itinerary that we are having real trouble sorting out, so I welcome and appreciate any and all advice! Thanks!

We just returned from our POA cruise and we went ziplining at the Princeville Ranch. We chose Princeville over Kauai Backcountry partially because the ship excursion was to Kauai Backcountry, so we assumed that Princeville would not be as busy. Also, because we were already renting a car, we thought the drive to Princeville would allow us to do some sightseeing along the way. We chose to do the Zip N' Dip which our entire group enjoye.

We took the ships tour with Kauai Backcountry and it was not crowded at all. We had less than 10 people on our tour. It was an early departure through Princess. We had a great time and the guides were fantastic. I would go again and have recommended it many times to friends. The tour ended early enough that we were able to walk to the beach at the nearby hotel and enjoy the water as well as lunch at Duke's.

We were also considering Kauai Backcountry for zipling, but in the end we have decided to to part of the Kalalau Trail! It sounds amazing, and dangerous - so we couldn't resist. Actually I think the most dangerous parts are beyond where we'll go. We are going in 4 miles to the waterfall - 8 miles roundtrip. Can't wait!

We were also considering Kauai Backcountry for zipling, but in the end we have decided to to part of the Kalalau Trail! It sounds amazing, and dangerous - so we couldn't resist. Actually I think the most dangerous parts are beyond where we'll go. We are going in 4 miles to the waterfall - 8 miles roundtrip. Can't wait!

Make sure you have sturdy hiking shoes. I thought we could do a mile , but did not realize how challenging this trail would be. I have no idea if it gets easier or not. We were there in the evening and probably only went about an eighth of a mile max. The section we were on was all broken up pieces of rock. Nothing you can just simply hike. My daughter said she hoped to go back someday and do it with her peers and appropriate footwear and hiking gear. For me, at 61, that will not happen. ;) Just be prepared and I am sure you will have a great experience.

I am enjoying reading everyone's responses and opinions. Our other option is the Kalalau Trail, but we were under the impression that those first 4 miles in to the first beach and waterfall were definitely manageable. Our dilemma is that we have not ziplined before and thought it would be a really cool thing to try in Hawaii. But we do like to hike. I wish it weren't so difficult making these decisions.

Go for the zipline. You can hike anytime, anywhere! I'm making ziplining one of my priorities for this same reason. If the tours are as good as the photos on the websites lead you to believe it should be an awesome experience. I haven't selected the company I'll be going with yet but I did notice that with one of the companies on Maui the harnesses that you sit in looked more like a seat which I thought might be a little more comfortable. I'm trying to decide whether I should do this tour & forget about Haleakala Crater. Decisions, decisions...

We (ages late 50's) ziplined in Kauai a few years ago (Kauai Backcountry through NCL) and we are still talking about it. It was a thrilling experience and I will never forget it. By far it was the most exciting shore excursion ever. I wouldn't worry too much about comfort or seats....the rides are so quick and the last thing you are thinking about is comfort. (I think perhaps I was thinking more of survival...LOL) You will just be trying to take in the scenery and enjoying the moment and the rush. Go for it!

Archived