Diamond Head Crater Summit Trek

2fercruzin

Has anyone done the Diamond Head Crater Summit Trek. We have signed up for it on our

december trip but would like to hear from someone who has done it. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Randy

DW and I hiked to the summit of Diamond Head when we went to Oahu five years ago. You don't need a tour guide or anything, so you may consider doing this without a tour group if you have transportation, or choose to take a shuttle or bus.

We had a car, and just drove on the road up the hill from Waikiki, and through the crater rim. That's right, it seems odd, but the bottom of the hike and the ranger station, restrooms, etc. are all inside the crater.

It's a public park and the facilities were nice. The trail is a bit steep in places but well marked... it would be impossible to get lost due to the obvious nature of the trail and the large numbers of people hiking it.

You will walk through some old WW2 bunkers during the hike, which is neat. You can also look down on the lighthouse which is perched below the summit.

Have fun!

Bring your own water. There are water vending machines, but they ran out and not everyone in our family group got their own water.

Go as early as possible.

I agree with the previous poster, it's not necessary to have a guide. I guess you could be doing an excursion maybe before your airport drop off.

Archived