Give the people from Puerto Rico a break!!!

lmmn

Ocean Boy - Boards show that in Key West the locals also hate the cruise ship industry. I think it's that way in all tourist towns. People love the money it generates, but hate the overcrowding and tourists.....

The Grand Strand was a tourist area long before we moved here. We have no right to complain about the tourists but we do.:)

We just wish the lust for the tourist dollar was matched by a desire to build a supporting infrastructure.

I understand what he meant.... it was not derogatory. We all read it wrong.

There are groups of people, who bring along their customs (only seems reasonable to me:rolleyes: ) that stand out in a crowd, and they sometimes become "too much". Most people give and take, and accept the others idiosyncrisy's... when you are on a ship that long, all together, it can get to you.

I have been on ships where the nationality was not Canadian, and being a Canadian I have learned to become tolerant of other cultures (we have to that's the Canadian way), but by the end of the week.... I am tired of loud boostful obnoxious people, yelling in another language, being hounded and blessed every time I passed an Indiginous Shaman in the halls..... you get ticked.... plain and simple..... I have cruised with Italians, Puerto Ricans, Canadians (french), Americans, Germans, and Chinese.... I love em all, but at times the "groups" can really p you o. I don't think it's the culture..... it's the masses......................you want to b----, try 750 drunken teenagers on a cruise:eek:

Remember - it's all a matter of perspective.

I just laughed out loud when I recalled the tour guide we had in Old San Juan telling my hubby that the "locals" hate it when the ships arrive and unload the 2000 "crabs" who fan out and take over their city like they own the place for their 8 hours in port.

So true...I used to work in Mystic Connecticut which is a huge tourist attraction and absolutely hated it in the summer when the tourists were out in full force. Not because I didn't like the people but because the traffic was simply unbearable! I lived 15 minutes away from my job but it took over an hour to get there in traffic (largely because of the drawbridge). I think it is natural to feel that way when your town is a tourist town.

And dalwhitt: Perhaps it is YOUR attitude that is keeping you from enjoying your short lived stay in Connecticut. There are some rude people in CT and their are some nice people and there are many in between. The "colder" people are usually encountered in the cities of Connecticut where (much as the California poster said) it can be dangerous to be outwardly friendly to strangers. Connecticut people aren't cold they are just very street wise and have to protect themselves (especially in Hartford, New Haven, ...and Norwich-New London although not as much). Supposedly, southern people are the friendliest people on the planet...I was in Mississippi about a year ago and was treated terribly...that was probably the rudest I have ever been treated. Do I think that the people of Mississippi are the rudest people ever? NO! Just the few people I encountered were either having a bad day or were just plain miserable, No big deal. I would travel back there again if I could. On the other hand, I lived in Missouri for a couple of years and met the nicest people there...does that mean that everyone in the state of Missouri is the sweetest person on the planet? NO! They do speak with a strange accent though :D J/k. As far as the places that you shop...I couldn't comment about that because I don't shop in that area. But I'd be willing to bet that there are clerks around the country who feel "bothered" by helping people that walk into their stores, I'm pretty sure it is not just a "Connecticut" thing. Perhaps we should shout "Racism" to you and get this thread yanked like others have been. Or perhaps the correct term would be "STATEISM" "STATEISM" :rolleyes: Ignorance does come in all shapes and sizes I guess.

As far as Puerto Rico goes: If it is true that the majority of the music and entertainment on board is of the spanish variety then I may choose not to sail out of that port. Not for any reason other than I'm not too interested in Spanish music. I would also not sail out of a port that plays mostly polka music. Possibly the only way I would know that for sure would be to sail on the AOS at least once because you can't put stock in everything that is said on an internet board. I also COMPLETELY respect anyone who takes the time to learn English which is quite possibly one of the most difficult languages to learn. How many languages have words that are spelled the same but mean something completely different. Like: I Mean this vs. You are Mean. Or that has words which sound the same but mean very different things...not to mention that they are spelled differently. Such as: To, Too, and Two. Or Meat and Meet. I took 3 years of high school spanish and have not mastered the language yet...I can have very general conversations if the other person speaks very slow but I most likely sound like a 2 year old to them. I respect anyone willing to take another language.

To each his own...if you don't like Puerto Rico don't sail out of the port, If your don't like Connecticut, New Jersey, Rhode Island, New York, or California move the heck out.

][/b]

"STATEISM" "STATEISM" :rolleyes:

As far as Puerto Rico goes: If it is true that the majority of the music and entertainment on board is of the spanish variety then I may choose not to sail out of that port.

To each his own...if you don't like Puerto Rico don't sail out of the port,

Stateism....I don't know if you were trying to be funny...but that is funny!!

The thing is...its not true that the majority of the music and entertainment on the AOS is of the Spanish variety. There was one lounge that played latin music, they had one parade that was latin themed, and after the parade that night latin band moved up to the pool deck. Thats hardly a majority of music & entertainment.

The ship is big enough and there are about 14 areas that you can go to to listen to music other than latin. On any given day/night there were many varieties of music including, classical string quartets, jazz, guitar melodies, piano bar entertainment, calyspo music, DJ's in the disco.

Thats what I don't understand about people saying the AOS is "latin themed". Its not latin themed...but they do embrace the locals heritage...and why shouldn't they? I'm sure if you went on a cruise that sailed out of Italy, you would get some Italian music...sail out of Russia, Russian music,...etc.

Andipanda

Since you are new to the boards you weren't around when it was posted in many reviews about the price given to Puerto Ricans to fill up a ship. Resentment overflowed from passengers who paid a much higher price. ALL cruisers deserve the same opportunity to have a great cruise. Many felt they were denied this due to the overwhelming numbers of Puerto Ricans onboard. Complaints ranged from cigar smoke in the hallways to rudeness in getting on the elevators, cutting lines, children running up and down the aisles in the Theater, all Spanish music to name a few. I have no personal knowledge of this as I have not sailed out of Puerto Rico.

There is No resident special that has rates that come close to $300 for a balcony cabin.

You don't have to live in a cruise port to take advantage of resident specials (Though I wish I did). RCCL and Celebrity have resident specials and senior specials every week along with the Happy Hour specials.

Sorry, If I gave the impression I was spending any of My vacation time worried about what someone else paid. It IS too precious to waste! I was told when booking my first cruise that if there were 3 couples at a table the couple to the left paid more and the couple to the right paid less than the one in the middle. That's the way it goes.

I was fortunate to be one of the people who HAD the reduced rate. Normally people don't talk about what they paid. It's considered rude. But apparently many fellow passengers didn't see it that way.. I was asked several times a day what I paid for the cruise. I didn't answer and changed the subject but it did get tiresome! Usually it was on an excursion or while I was waiting in a line. All week you would hear someone say what a great time they were having and how much they paid for the cruise. This only infuriated those who paid much, much more. I know one man paid $1,000 more than I because he told me ,repeatedly, how much he paid and how unfair it was. Unfortunately I ran into him more than anyone else on the ship! But it didn't ruin my cruise or even come close! I've never had a cruise I didn't enjoy! I've loved them all!

You have 2 choice in this situation. Embrace it or leave it. I was on the Rhapsody out of Texas and probably 85% of the passengers were Texans. I have never met a more friendly bunch of people! I was an honorary Texan that week and proud of it!

! :D

Thanks for the explanation. But answer this--if you've never sailed out of Puerto Rico, how do you feel qualified to give an opinion on sailing out of Puerto Rico? Because there are just as many people who have said they enjoyed the AOS cruise. Wouldn't that be the same as giving your opinion on a movie that you haven't seen yet?:confused:

The offical and native language of PR is spanish. English is not reguired in schools but is offered as a language class just as spanish is offered here in America.

When you come from another country and obtain citizenship in the US you are required to speak english because you desire to become an American citizen. But people from PR do not have to take citizenship tests, they are born citizens of the US. Puerto Rico is a commonwealth of the United States, just as Guam and the US Virgin Islands are.

Why is it not required that all citizen of PR speak english? I don't know. Probably because the native language is spanish. The US goverment has never made it a law that english has to be taught in schools in PR. Not everyone takes it. Probably because english is not needed to live in PR unless you are working in the tourist industry, and even then you don't need to be fluent in it.

When people from PR come to the US to live they often move into areas where there is a large if not mainly PR population. Everyone there, including the shop owners and neighbors all speak spanish. Therefore it is very easy to live in this county even with very little knowledge of english.

And since the Hispanic population is the fastest growing population in the US, we'd all better get used to hearing/seeing/reading Spanish, yes? I really don't mind it at all--something new to learn and explore. But that's just me. On the Majesty last year, we got announcements in English, Spanish, German, and Italian, and Japanese. I thought it was pretty doggone cool.

Probably the most prejudiced place I have seen is Boston. Hate to say it but that is my opinion. People like to say that they keep it "organized" and that everyone has their own area where they "belong". Not the best way to overcome an issue that is so detrimental to the fabric of American society.

Philly is the same way. There are specific streets where neighborhoods change and physical boundaries that cut off areas from others. The perverbial "other side of the tracks" may be the other side of the interstate or creek.

Sorry phyldude, but I just happened upon this, and I think its apalling that you can say Boston is one of the most prejudiced cities. At least here, we allow everyone who loves one another to be able to obtain legal marriages, regardless of gender or sexual preference, and I am proud that Boston is one of the most liberal and progressive areas of the country, and I would say that in general of the Northeast. Here, we understand that we have a moral obligation to treat everyone the same, regardless of gender, race, age, sexual preference, or whatever other factor you are looking at that make people different. In fact, we are the only state in the nation who has realized that its immoral to put discrimination into our state constitution, a fact that I am especially proud of.

Hey guys,

Isn't that the whole idea of travelling to different places/countries to meet and experience different people and learn about their cultures ! I figure if people want everything/everybody to be the same as home that they should vacation THERE. and they wont have any problems.

We come to the US on a regular basis for vacation and we are only to happy to meet people from all walks of life, we have met some wonderful people and had some really great conversations with people we just met in resturaunts ,and ok their lives etc may be different from ours but we have never yet knocked someone because they are not from the same town/state/country as us.

Come on guys the world is big enough for us all.And so are the cruise ships !

Incidently we came across the same problem on our Med cruise last year sailing from the beautiful city of venice, Guess what fellow passengers complained about there. TOO MANY ITALIANS ! in Italy ? hows that for strange .my response was the same then as it is now. LIVE and LET LIVE and get a life.

Anyone want to complain in advance that 6 Scots will be sailing in the Jewel next march ! So far we have loved it when fellow cruisers hear our accents and come over and say HI, where are you from. Hope to meet some of you on the jewel.

Happy and tolerant sailings to you all.

This is one of the most ridiculus threads I have witnessed in my short time on this board. For all of those claiming the "locals" take over the ship, how do you think the PR's on a ship say from Mobile feel about all of those "locals" taking over the ship and everything being in English versus Spanish? Some of you are truly close minded people!!!!!

Some rudeness is subjective, i.e. the Asian culture that think it rude to look people in the eyes, we see that as rude but it is there culture! I have never been on the AOS, but we are planning to go in July. My DH, who by the way does not like people (although EVERYONE who meets him LOVES him) was concerned about the PR population on the ship, as well as them paying a much lower price than we did (some genius at his job told him of this!). I can guarantee you this however, once we are on the ship, we will have a great time regardless of the population of the ship!!!!!

This thread boils down to one word: IGNORANCE which according to Webster's means not knowing----basically we are ALL ignorant of other cultures at one time or another!!!!!

Also, NJ IS in the NORTHEAST and it is a suburb of Philly and NY:p !!!!!

northeastbw.GIF

This is one of the most ridiculus threads I have witnessed in my short time on this board. For all of those claiming the "locals" take over the ship, how do you think the PR's on a ship say from Mobile feel about all of those "locals" taking over the ship and everything being in English versus Spanish? Some of you are truly close minded people!!!!!

Some rudeness is subjective, i.e. the Asian culture that think it rude to look people in the eyes, we see that as rude but it is there culture! I have never been on the AOS, but we are planning to go in July. My DH, who by the way does not like people (although EVERYONE who meets him LOVES him) was concerned about the PR population on the ship, as well as them paying a much lower price than we did (some genius at his job told him of this!). I can guarantee you this however, once we are on the ship, we will have a great time regardless of the population of the ship!!!!!

This thread boils down to one word: IGNORANCE which according to Webster's means not knowing----basically we are ALL ignorant of other cultures at one time or another!!!!!

Also, NJ IS in the NORTHEAST and it is a suburb of Philly and NY:p !!!!!

northeastbw.GIF

Ok, I think it will be my last response to this thread because quite frankly I'm getting sick of it.

Here it goes.

I agree with you that this is one of the most ridiculous threads on this board. The reason I think so that it looks like most of those who replied are MISSING the point completely.

For those of us who decided not to cruise again from PR it's about the CHOICE we made after we did take the cruse.

It has NOTHING to do with racism, this is NOT about intolerance to other cultures. IT IS ABOUT THE CHOICE!

I have nothing against other cultures and enjoyed meeting people from all over the world.

At the same time I had an extremely bad experience on my AOS cruise no matter how my family tried to enjoyed this cruise. It was just too LOUD, too NOISY, too crowded for us. (and NO, I'M NOT trying to offend anyone Spanish).

We just realized that this type of cruise is not for us. So we made a decision NOT to cruise from San Juan again.

THAT's IT! Nothing more! No offense, no clashes with other cultures takls, no ignorance on our part. NO hidden agenda, NOTHING MORE THAN A CHOICE!

Can those who blame us in any possible sin understand this for G-d sake!

It's all about the choice. If I decide to voice my opinion and suggest that people consider the possibility this port of embarcation is not for them it's just a suggestion. NOTHING MORE! Especially if you didn't take the cruise YET.

Let's just give it a rest because it really gets ridiculous.

At the same time I had an extremely bad experience on my AOS cruise no matter how my family tried to enjoyed this cruise. It was just too LOUD, too NOISY, too crowded for us. (and NO, I'M NOT trying to offend anyone Spanish).

We just realized that this type of cruise is not for us. So we made a decision NOT to cruise from San Juan again.

THAT's IT! Nothing more! No offense, no clashes with other cultures takls, no ignorance on our part. NO hidden agenda, NOTHING MORE THAN A CHOICE!

This maybe where you are losing people. you say that it is not because of racisim but it was too lowd too noisy and too crowded. You go on to say that this type of cruise is not for us. Finally, you say that you family made the decision NOT to cruise from San Juan again. I would say if you said the AOS was too big, loud and noisy for your families taste, that you have chosen to cruise only on smaller ships, that is one thing. But to give all the reasons you gave for not enjoying the cruise and then say categorically that you have chosen not to cruise out of San Juan, leading one to believe that that is why you did not enjoy your cruise, that is the offensive, clash with cultures, ignorance part! You are basically saying that the cruise was too loud, noisy and crowded BECAUSE it left from PR and based on that we chose not to leave from PR again--leads people to believe it was becasue of PR people!

This maybe where you are losing people. you say that it is not because of racisim but it was too lowd too noisy and too crowded. You go on to say that this type of cruise is not for us. Finally, you say that you family made the decision NOT to cruise from San Juan again. I would say if you said the AOS was too big, loud and noisy for your families taste, that you have chosen to cruise only on smaller ships, that is one thing. But to give all the reasons you gave for not enjoying the cruise and then say categorically that you have chosen not to cruise out of San Juan, leading one to believe that that is why you did not enjoy your cruise, that is the offensive, clash with cultures, ignorance part! You are basically saying that the cruise was too loud, noisy and crowded BECAUSE it left from PR and based on that we chose not to leave from PR again--leads people to believe it was becasue of PR people!

When I said "for us" I meant MY FAMILY, not us Americans or whoever else!

May be it was not the right choice of words but it was exactly what I MEANT.

Thanks for the geography lesson teach01. Your pictures, complete with arrows and state names is the definitive answer for what constitutes the Northeast. I don't think that those of us who live in New Jersey need to be constantly reminded that we are aligned with either Philly or NY. It gets a bit tiring to be told all the time that our state is nothing more than a bedroom community.

Also, before I start to give geography lessons, I would make sure that, as a teacher, my spelling is correct.

Heidi, great E-mail. I must disagree (slightly) about Connecticut folks. It isn't the fast pace. They are just out and out cold people. We have met very few "nice" people here after five years. We hate it and won't stay in this place for much longer. And when you tell them about it, they just shrug their shoulders and say, "That's the way we are in Connecticut." Well, if you know it then why not do something about it? At my work place, that's the main reason for people leaving. Most of the people at my job come from other places around the country. But they can only take so much of Connecticut and then have to leave ... even if they will make less somewhere else with not as much prestige. It is truly sad that a beautiful state like Connecticut is made ugly by people who just won't make an effort to be nice.

I wouldn't so much say that they are cold, it's just that they are very private and close knit. They have their circle of friends and family that they hang with. Their comfort zone. And they can be loathe to allow anyone else to enter that forbiden area. Then it comes off as being unfriendly. At least that it is what I have percieved to be the problem.

I know people here at work, who I have known for over 5 years that are still that way to me. Friendly with you one day and the next a witch. No rhyme or reason for it on the surface. But underneath i'm sure that there is some place in their mind where it all makes perfect sense.

I have given up on trying to figure them out. Honestly, it's not worth my time anymore. I'm getting to many gray hairs as it is and don't need to add anymore by racking my brain over this puzzle. I just go on being myself and refusing to allow myself to act like them ( and by them, I mean the rude people in CT, not all the people in CT). I will always be friendly and smile at people. I will hold the door open for them instead of letting it slam in their face. I will refuse to push them aside just so I can get out of the elevator one second quicker then everyone else. Maybe people will realize how much more happy life could be if we weren't always in such a hurry and we took the time to be nice to one another.

As far as the places that you shop...I couldn't comment about that because I don't shop in that area. But I'd be willing to bet that there are clerks around the country who feel "bothered" by helping people that walk into their stores, I'm pretty sure it is not just a "Connecticut" thing. Perhaps we should shout "Racism" to you and get this thread yanked like others have been. Or perhaps the correct term would be "STATEISM" "STATEISM" :rolleyes: Ignorance does come in all shapes and sizes I guess.

I know that you addressed this part of your post to dalwhitt, but I was the one who made mention of the sales clerks in CT, so I figured I would answer this. I don't dalwhitt getting blamed for something he didn't say.:D

It is true that I have had wonderful, helpful and friendly help in stores that I have gone to here in CT. But, what I'm saying is that it is one of the things that I noticed after moving here from the west coast. And also, after visiting from the west coast it brings it all home again. It is not unusual to encounter sales help that is rude or "bothered" by the fact that you are shopping at their store. I know it can happen anywhere, and i'm sure it does. But, I have noticed that there seems to be a higher percentage of it here then out west.

I worked retail and in the restuarant business in this state while going to school and even after as a second job, so I have many years of experience myself. I know what is expected of a sales clerk / waitress. Sometimes the need for help in the retail industry can be high in this area. So, managment is forced to be happy with the staff they have in order to staff their stores. I know we aren't in this trend now, but we were for some time. Seems like that was when it was the worst. They had to hire someone to work, even if it wasn't the most personable person around. Unfortunatly the result of this was/is a group of sales staff that didn't want to help and could be down right rude to the customers.

Thanks for the geography lesson teach01. Your pictures, complete with arrows and state names is the definitive answer for what constitutes the Northeast. I don't think that those of us who live in New Jersey need to be constantly reminded that we are aligned with either Philly or NY. It gets a bit tiring to be told all the time that our state is nothing more than a bedroom community.

Also, before I start to give geography lessons, I would make sure that, as a teacher, my spelling is correct.

Howlev, I would expect someone without a state to call all his own to confuse a typo with a spelling error. Do not take your anger out on me because you live in NJ and it is known, as you call it, a bedroom state!!!!!!!!

Teach01

Teach01: I mention bedroom state because that's the impression many people have. I do not feel the need to defend a state I've called home for over 20 years. For me, NJ has been more than a home. I love it here. As for your so-called typos, we, as teachers, have zero credibility unless our spelling (among other things) is perfect. There is simply no reason for it to be otherwise. Call me old-fashioned but, as a 28 year teaching veteran, I believe that we, as teachers, bear a responsibility to check and recheck how we use our words and how we spell. Bring on the flames. The heat doesn't bother me. Bottom line: Teaching is a truly noble profession and should be treated as such, especially by its members.

Teach01: As for your so-called typos, we, as teachers, have zero credibility unless our spelling (among other things) is perfect. There is simply no reason for it to be otherwise. Call me old-fashioned but, as a 28 year teaching veteran, I believe that we, as teachers, bear a responsibility to check and recheck how we use our words and how we spell. Bring on the flames. The heat doesn't bother me. Bottom line: Teaching is a truly noble profession and should be treated as such, especially by its members.

I was a high-school English teacher for sixteen years and also frequently served as chairman of the English department. During that time, I hired (and fired) countless teachers. I worked with many outstanding teachers during that period but, unfortunately, almost all of the better teachers left after a few years. Some went to better (remuneratively) jobs, but many left in frustration over the lack of support from parents, administrators, and fellow teachers. Unfortunately, there are a large number of teachers who were mediocre students in college (which is hard to do, considering the rampant grade-inflation now prevalent) and whose major educational commitment is to gain tenure and who do as little work as possible to maintain their sinecure. Many of these teachers do not have the skills in grammar, usage or spelling to even be aware of their own errors. Many of these teachers also see their students as "the enemy". I think really good teachers are severely underpaid but, conversely, I think poor teachers are egregiously overpaid. I've seen a depressingly-large number of teachers who work from 8:30 until 3:15, with an hour of free time at lunch and an hour to plan their lessons. With ten minutes between each class, this amounts to just a little over four hours a day of actually being in a classroom. In addition, many teachers construct their tests in such a way that the teachers' aides can do all the paper-grading and grade calculating. Add to that summers off, two weeks off at Christmas, a week or so off at Easter, a five-or-six day Thanksgiving weekend, days often off when there has been an inch of snow (particularly in the south), teacher's workshop days, and virtually every holiday ever invented, and you're looking at a pretty cushy situation. Before you light your torch to flame me, I know there are numerous exceptions to what I'm saying, and I'm very much aware that there are countless dedicated teachers whose main goal in life is to help children. I'm just relating what I observed during my 16 years of being in the trenches.

Allen

WeBeCruisin',

I know this thread has gotten OT, but as a former teacher who left the profession in order to become a nurse, I have to say that I agree with a lot of the things you wrote. Recently on the Carnival board, the subject was the poor spelling of cc members. At least two teachers wrote that they are terrible at spelling and grammar. One even gushed that her students have to correct her daily for spelling errors! I was appalled and thought that if my students had to correct my errors on a daily basis, that this would be cause for some serious soul searching about my career and whether or not I had given my all to my own education and preparation. As a parent, I found this attitude disconcerting. It certainly explains why so many parents feel they have no choice but to home school or make tremendous sacrifices in order to send their children to private schools. It's a disturbing and sad trend that you describe.

[quote name='firstcruise05']
And dalwhitt: Perhaps it is YOUR attitude that is keeping you from enjoying your short lived stay in Connecticut. There are some rude people in CT and their are some nice people and there are many in between. The "colder" people are usually encountered in the cities of Connecticut where (much as the California poster said) it can be dangerous to be outwardly friendly to strangers. Connecticut people aren't cold they are just very street wise and have to protect themselves (especially in Hartford, New Haven, ...and Norwich-New London although not as much). Supposedly, southern people are the friendliest people on the planet...I was in Mississippi about a year ago and was treated terribly...that was probably the rudest I have ever been treated. Do I think that the people of Mississippi are the rudest people ever? NO! Just the few people I encountered were either having a bad day or were just plain miserable, No big deal. I would travel back there again if I could. On the other hand, I lived in Missouri for a couple of years and met the nicest people there...does that mean that everyone in the state of Missouri is the sweetest person on the planet? NO! They do speak with a strange accent though :D J/k. As far as the places that you shop...I couldn't comment about that because I don't shop in that area. But I'd be willing to bet that there are clerks around the country who feel "bothered" by helping people that walk into their stores, I'm pretty sure it is not just a "Connecticut" thing. Perhaps we should shout "Racism" to you and get this thread yanked like others have been. Or perhaps the correct term would be "STATEISM" "STATEISM" :rolleyes: Ignorance does come in all shapes and sizes I guess.

To each his own...if you don't like Puerto Rico don't sail out of the port, If your don't like Connecticut, New Jersey, Rhode Island, New York, or California move the heck out.[/QUOTE]

Where do I begin? I came here from the Midwest, and immediately got ripped off by a landscaper. Then discovered that I was ripped off by my realtor and attorney. At that point we had to check and double-check everything. It definitely isn't like Michigan, where people take pride in providing service.

Worse, my grandson was abused by his teacher and we had to hire an attorney to get things straightened out. For three months he was segregated from the rest of his kindergarten class because parents didn't want him "touching" their kids. It was probably a coincidence that he was the only black kid in the class. Why a teacher would allow this ... well, that's another issue. For the sickos out there, there was no inappropriate touching, just the usual kid stuff.

Now, since you brought up race when I didn't, you need to know that we are not ghetto people, and in fact we live in the best neighborhood this town has to offer. But the homes of most of the people near the school could fit in mine, two-to-three times over. It was disgusting what they did to my grandson, and we have had to move him to a school outside the neighborhood, taking him and picking him up every day.

There isn't enough time to tell you all the stories that make us hate this place. If you knew, you wouldn't judge me for how I feel. You would just be ashamed that the people that we have come in contact with here are just like I said they were - cold and uncaring.

But believe me, we are working on leaving, and once that day arrives we won't ever return for a visit. I've traveled to 38 of the 50 states and this is without question the worst.

There was a New York Times Sunday magazine piece that ran about a year ago that talked about this Connecticut phenomenon, so it isn't just my imagination.

[quote name='nynewfies']In my experience, there are two kinds of people. Good and bad. This transcends all other considerations of residence, economic stratum, race, gender, religion, politics, sexual orientation - you pick the variable. It is so tempting to lump people together, but so completely unfair. The stereotypes (being a New Yorker the "pushy" characterization tends to get old) do us all an injustice. No matter what a group is supposedly known for - good or bad qualities included - I've met enough people who were the opposite to disabuse me of the notion that the characterization is valid. Just.MHO.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you!! I get real tired of the jokes about stupid southerners. When are people going to learn to accept we are all different? We all have our good and bad points. You are missing out on so much when you automatically rubber stamp and lump folks in to groups.

Webecruisin':I'm sorry that your teaching experiences were not of a more positive nature. I'm sure that what you have described does, in fact, exist.However, I entered this thread mainly to tell about my own experiences working in a mostly Hispanic school in the South Bronx and how much I have learned about the culture, language, and people who come from a wonderful island.I am sorry that people write about such negative experiences but, not being a cynical or pessimistic person myself, I cannot relate to those experiences. I'm one of these naive people, who even after teaching 7th graders for so many years, has not become jaded or disillusioned with parents, students, administration, or my fellow teachers. I just do what I do best: teach Mathematics, relate to my students, get along with parents and Principals, tolerate my fellow teachers (even the ones who should not be within miles of children) and embrace a diversity of cultures in the New York City school system. My wish is that more people would take the time learning from other people and listening to others rather than condemning a whole population based on some superficial observations. It's a sad state of affairs when people make derogatory remarks without starting a dialogue first.

Archived