Tour of ship

MaryAnn261

I read somewhere and I don't remember where something about a "behind the scene" tour of the cruise ship where you get to see areas of the ship normally off-limits. I can't find the post and was wanting to read about it again. Can anyone help me out? I was wondering about the details of this tour.

DH and I took the Behind the Fun tour on Fantasy last Dec 09. Had a great time. Those are great pic on MayAnn's link. You have to sign up at the excursion desk as it is not advertised in the Caper (for some unknown reason). If interested, sign up as soon as you can. It is a bit hard on the knees standing that much, but we managed (we are 50ish). There was one break time given.

Got to go to the bridge and meet the captain and his crew there. Had two 8x10 photos delivered to our room. For unknown reason, it was the same pic of captain and the tour group. I think it was to be two different pics. When we got back to the room, there were honey almond cookies (to die for) and chocolate covered strawberries in our room.

I think it was rather inexpensive, around $49 (?) pp. Not sure. Highly recommend!! Hope this helps

DH and I took the Behind the Fun tour on Fantasy last Dec 09. Had a great time. Those are great pic on MayAnn's link. You have to sign up at the excursion desk as it is not advertised in the Caper (for some unknown reason). If interested' date=' sign up as soon as you can. It is a bit hard on the knees standing that much, but we managed (we are 50ish). There was one break time given.

Got to go to the bridge and meet the captain and his crew there. Had two 8x10 photos delivered to our room. For unknown reason, it was the same pic of captain and the tour group. I think it was to be two different pics. When we got back to the room, there were honey almond cookies (to die for) and chocolate covered strawberries in our room.

I think it was rather inexpensive, around $49 (?) pp. Not sure. Highly recommend!! Hope this helps[/quote']

It is $95/person on cruises of 7 days, and they usually do two groups of 16 people - no cameras allowed, no sandals or open toe shoes and it is a 3-4 hour tour. . Register as soon as you can on board at the excursion desk.

I did this on Carnival Spirit in March. So interesting! We visited the following places:

• Theatre (discussion with lead tech and dance captain)
  • Backstage of theatre
  • Crew muster area
  • Photo lab
  • Galley (photo op with chef, choc-covered strawberry samples)
  • Storerooms (beverages, meat, ice cream)
  • Crew dining areas (two) and connecting galley
  • Various sights along "I-95"
  • Environmental control room (recycling and garbage)
  • Engine control room
  • Laundry
  • Crew Infirmary
  • Brisk walk past the outside of crew cabins (Some had rather naughty things written on their whiteboards!)
  • Paymaster window
  • Training office (the person in charge of training was giving the tour)
  • Crew bar (for cookies and juice/soda/water)
  • Another brisk walk past the Cruise Director's room
  • The Bridge (Surprisingly pretty! Photo op with captain - both as a group and individually)
  • Steakhouse galley
  • Steakhouse for mimosas (or just OJ or just champagne), comment cards, carved swans made from soap and tied with red ribbons, and a branded BtF tote bag bag with wristband, lanyard, and baseball cap.

I'm sure there were other things I left out, but that's what I remember. I have a "full report" on my blog here: http://www.shari.com/2010/06/carnival-spirit-behind-the-fun-tour.html. It was really fun, and I would definitely do it again on another ship if the timing was right. (This tour was on our third sea day of an eight day itinerary.)

Got this for my husband as a surprise. He said it was the best $95 I have spent in a long time, and he is a cheapo for sure. It was 3 1/2 hours on the Freedom. Times do vary between ships as does the price. You get some goodies also. go straight to the excursions desk as soon as you board. It is limited to 16 people and fills up fast. We got on the ship at 11 am and people had already signed up.

I know Carnival offers this tour on 7+ day cruises but do they offer it on 4 day ones? DH & I are going on Glory next June (4day) and if they offer it I would love to take him on the tour since it would be his first cruise.

Archived