Epic Sailing With Epic Numbers of Empty Cabins?

Music City

Will you be in Toronto sometime soon? Need an invite?

I've been in and out of the restaurant business most of my life working 80-90 hours a week. I'm amazed how you find the time to post on this board so prolificly ALL DAY LONG and still run run a resataurant.

Seems pretty clear that the booking volume for EPIC pre-sailing was lower than the rate of bookings now that the ship has been seen, experienced, and reviewed.

One might surmise that the negativity based on photos, rumours, and the like was overcome by the actuality.

The ship is impressive and it would appear people are realizing that.

Again I ask, what records were broken? Sheehan was pretty vague and didn't give out any details.

Were NCL's single ship booking records broken? Considering it's by far the largest ship that NCL has ever owned that's not saying much.

Were the records that were broken the overall booking records for the entire NCL fleet? Well, DUH!...Of course overall records are going to be broken when you add another 2,100 cabins to the inventory.

The fact that Sheehan (whose length of tenure, succes or failure as CEO of NCL is dependent on the Epic) said anything at all about it speaks volumes about why he feels the need to spin the lack of occupancy and negative reviews.

I did.

What records, specifically were broken?

Think of a record that would be impresive and it will not have been that one.

My reading is that bookings for the EPIC reached new levels.

Volume on a weekly basis for epic bookings only.

I think there may have been promotions those weeks and the US and UK.

I have emails with redued deposits and OBC which makes a booking more attractive even if you think you may change your mind.

I did.

What records, specifically were broken?

It's in plain English:*

"Norwegian Epic...*set record-breaking booking levels for the past two weeks...The booking volume for the week ended July 10, 2010 is the highest this year, second only to the previous week"

All the weeks of this year (2010) in which bookings were taken (did not specify just for EPIC or all NCL) were exceeded and broken in those two weeks of July.

"Norwegian Epic...*set record-breaking booking levels for the past two weeks...The booking volume for the week ended July 10, 2010 is the highest this year, second only to the previous week"

All the weeks of this year (2010) in which bookings were taken (did not specify just for EPIC or all NCL) were exceeded and broken in those two weeks of July.

I'm not surprised considering all the promotions they are currently running to try to get people to book EPIC:

*Balcony Staterooms to Deluxe Balcony Upgrades

7-Day Norwegian Epic Caribbean Cruises (July - April)

*Norwegian Epic Launch Bonus Up to $150 Onboard Credit

Inside $25 Balcony $75 Deluxe Balcony $100 Suite & Villas $150

*50% Reduced Deposit

Take 50% off of our standard deposit when booking a Norwegian Epic vacation.

*Just book a 7-day Caribbean cruise aboard Norwegian Epic in a Balcony or Deluxe Balcony and we will sweeten the deal with airfare starting at only $99* roundtrip.

I swear some times it's like some grade school kids poking each other on the shoulder in this place.

Go to your rooms.

Well, if the OP is correct, there are plenty of rooms to go to on the EPIC. :p:D Sign me up (oh, wait, I already am.) ;)

LOL! That's not plain English that's gibberish from the company CEO.

When you go to buy a car do you believe everything the salesman tells you?

I'm not surprised considering all the promotions they are currently running to try to get people to book EPIC

Carnival is also running promotions with Cash Back, Free Upgrades, and Onboard credit. Look at their website. So are several cruise lines this month. I have received emails and literature in the mail from Holland America, Celebrity, and Princess all offering plenty of promotions and big upgrades and OBC.

I've been in and out of the restaurant business most of my life working 80-90 hours a week. I'm amazed how you find the time to post on this board so prolificly ALL DAY LONG and still run run a resataurant.

I didn't say I run it. I said I own it. It's been 9 years since opening, which was when I was more heavily involved in planning.

Again I ask, what records were broken? Sheehan was pretty vague and didn't give out any details.

Were NCL's single ship booking records broken? Considering it's by far the largest ship that NCL has ever owned that's not saying much.

Were the records that were broken the overall booking records for the entire NCL fleet? Well, DUH!...Of course overall records are going to be broken when you add another 2,100 cabins to the inventory.

The fact that Sheehan (whose length of tenure, succes or failure as CEO of NCL is dependent on the Epic) said anything at all about it speaks volumes about why he feels the need to spin the lack of occupancy and negative reviews.

You think the CEO is taking time to write press releases? These are written by marketing people.

Now...you made the comment that "records will be broken when you add 2100 cabins to the inventory"..... I'm not sure what this means.

What the release says is that EPIC bookings are higher since the EPIC started sailing, than they were BEFORE the EPIC started sailing.

I contend that speaks volumes about the perceptions of EPIC outside of the few detractors on Cruise Critic.

I think that an honest question (and unanswered...yet) would be whether overall NCL bookings are up, or whether EPIC is simply cannibalizing all the other NCL ships...and that NCL fans are trying the newest option.

If the other ships have held their ground AND the bookings for EPIC are up, then NCL has truly accomplished what it intended....it has either gained market share from its competitors, AND/OR it has grown the overall market by introducing new concepts and appealing to former non-cruisers.

Stephen

LOL! That's not plain English that's gibberish from the company CEO.

When you go to buy a car do you believe everything the salesman tells you?

Gibberish or not, the story is being reported by practically every travel website and agency on the Internet. Do a Google Search and see. And if it gets people to look to see what all the fuss is about, maybe those same people who may not have otherwise considered NCL will book a cruise on EPIC.

Gibberish or not, the story is being reported by practically every travel website and agency on the Internet. Do a Google Search and see. And if it gets people to look to see what all the fuss is about, maybe those same people who may not have otherwise considered NCL will book a cruise on EPIC.

So what records were broken?

Archived