Elation sailing 1/30 review

cruising_daisy

I loved my Carnival Cruise and will go back any time!! Imagine Sunny and warm. I was a little disappointed in the water temps, a little chilly but the beautiful snorkeling quickly got my mind off the chilly water.

Sunday 1/30 was cold and cloudy. I had sea sickness for the first time on this cruise. Our room was in the mid-ship section.

On this ship when they pushed the two twin beds to form a king bed the mattresses would not stay together, seems to me other ships have had something to fill in the gap. The light fixtures and the drop grate needed a good cleaning. Our stweard did dust it when we pointed it out to her but only made it worse and of coarse the dust went onto the bed. I don't think she spoke much english. However she did do a great job with towels, blankets, ice etc...

Monday - fun day at sea, weather was enjoyable though still cloudy and still sea sick most of the day. The shopping and port talks were very informative. Except for the curtains swaying on the stage. The afternoon turned warmer though still windy

Tuesday - Progreso Partly cloudy to sunny. We did not book a tour with the ship. Once off the bus at the flea market we were offered a great tour for $30.00 each!! (There was a double decker bus with city tours for $2.00 each, looked fun) Went on an air conditioned bus with a tour guide. He told us about the different areas we passed, saw the pelican breading area. He stopped the bus for a photo opp. We visited some ruins and he gave a brief but detailed history and everyone had a chance to climb the ruins and walk around. Then we went to X-Cambo Reef beach resort. All inclusive bar, food, swimming pool and beach. Chairs Umbrellas, and an entertaining staff for dance lessons. The pool water was chilly. It was a gorgeous resort. We were there about 2 1/2 hrs. My only regret was not getting an opportunity to shop. We did not get off the boat until we had a leasurely breakfast. Progreso has the cleanest bathrooms in port and in the markets. There is a strip of shops at the dock and their prices beat cozumel's for trinkets.

The ship sailed into much calmer waters.

Wednesday: Sunny and warm!!!!!!! We went to nachi cocmo beach break. What a gorgeous beach. All inclusive internet special. No crowds. Took a snorkel trip, extra $$ from there to several great areas. It was gorgeous. The food buffet was incredible with bbq chicken and ribs. Drinks and beers were by the cup. Try "sex on the beach" yummy. They make frozen drinks with fresh fruit - no liquid mixes there. Taxi ride was pricey $15.00 each way. The drivers don't speak english and he tried to take us on the return ride further than we needed. Took about an hour to do some shopping. Should have shopped more in progeso. Pancho's backyard great margarita's becareful of all the places that will let you sample their tequilla. Way to much

Thursday - Belize, belizerays were incredible. Belize port is fenced in with rod iron and one small enter/exit. And there is a reason. It's kind of scarey. In the port area there is a great pharmacy - bring extra $$ lots of great buys. We went to San Pedro, I would move there instantly. The streets are nothing more than packed sand. Fresh seafood is every where, the people are very friendly and welcoming. Snorkeling was incredible, the water warm, crystal clear, breath taking views of the coral reefs. The tour boat would have returned us to the boat, so we didn't have to tender.

Friday - it rained, cloudy, bummer. A little afternoon sun but not much

Saturday - cloudy, dreary, an occassional break in the clouds.

Sea sick again.

Sunday - saidly we returned to cold wet weather, don't bring a lot of luggage and you can get off the ship by hauling your own luggage. Pack light.

I was disappointed with our wait staff in comparison to previous experiences and the same with the food, it was only warm at best. But the whole dining experience is still one of the best parts of the cruise.

I think that the 15% gratuity automatically attached to the bar bill is steep when you order a beer for 3.50 and the bar tender turns, grabs a beer and sets it in front of you.

Now that I'm caught up on laundry I'm ready to sail again.......

Archived