First timer!! booked!!!

mandafish

Just wanted to say hi and a big thank you!!! There is sooo many good tips on here, glad i found it!

We're booked for a 7day with RC in Nov 10 - (3 kids) very excited bit worried about the dress code for my Hubby :) and sea sickness!!!

I can not even get on the boat without the ear patch..that being said, get a prescription prior to leaving for the patch. Place behind one ear at least 4 hours prior to boarding, and change every 4 days. They work wonders, only they do make you a little thirsty.:):)

The patches are great - never had a moment's problem with them. But there are lots of threads about alternatives. Worst case you go down to the medical offices and get a shot - it's not like you're going to have to be sick the whole time.

I'm not sure what dress code concerns you but you can always go to the buffet or eat in your cabin on formal nights if that's the concern.

And congratulations and watch out for cruise addiction. It's very contagious.

Have a wonderful time! I still remember how I felt getting ready and going on my first cruise 5 years ago...you will be in ahhh...have a great time and just have hubby bring a pair of slacks and a dress shirt and a couple of ties and he will be fine.

Have Fun!

Tanja

It sounds like you have some good tips. Where all are you going? People may be able to give you some pointers on that. Zip lock your liquids, I double zip lock. I had a very bad experience years ago. If one bag comes open it still won't leak. Take a small tube of toothpaste for sure in your carry on. By the time you land, wherever you will be ready to brush your teeth. I am sure someone has told you the "drinks" they offer when you board are NOT free. The ones and bottled water in your room aren't either. You can carry drinks on, not alcohol. There isn't anything wrong with your water in your cabin, maybe better than home, here anyway. Regardless of the weather on your trip sometimes the show rooms can get cold, you may want to take a jacket or sweater. Sea sickness, I ALWAYS wear a patch. I have donethis for 17 years. I decided to wear mine until I started feeling strange. On the 7th day I started to feel a little something in my head, changed and within 30 minutes I was fine. I use to change every few days, just check yourself out, everyone will be different. Don't use lotion or anything where you put it. You can take it off when you shower and wash your hair. I keep the package and lay it upright. When I finish, it resticks easily. There are sea bands, we use these for our 5 year granddaughter. You can get them anywhere. They will be in the health and beauty dept. All it is, is a pressure point on your wrist. They work well, just go prepared and you won't have to worry. The "doctor" on board will be very expensive, better safe than sorry. Those patches are used for cancer patients and work very well. Read reviews about your trip. You can pull them up on the critic. People will have insite and pointers that they have just done. Many stay on after their return, so you can ask questions. Go to their board and you can find out a lot. Your room service is free, except for a tip. Speaking of tips, these people work for their tips. I have heard the cruise lines only pay waiters and cabin stewards about 100.00 a MONTH. You won't have any Americans working on that part of the ship. They are mostly from third world countries. Most have families and send their money home. They are trying to support them and build a house. They only get to go home a few weeks a year. THe guidelines for the tips as you can see are very low. You will see how hard they work. Let your cabin steward know the first day if there is anything special that you want, towels, etc. That is always my request. I tell them I don't care if you vacum everyday, just the bathroom and towels. They usually have about 14 + cabins. On your comment card, the ship expects, Excellent. Anything less they are in trouble. If there's any food you didn't care for and you put good, they get into trouble. You can always order more or different. If you like something you can ask for more. They lose tables or cabins if everything isn't excellent. That is the way they police everything. Any questions, I will try to think of anything else.

Let everyone know where you are going and your ship!

Mary

Sorry bit new at all this... we're only going on a 7night one just to see how we go, make sure if the kids like it!

joining the Rhapsody of the Seas in nov from sydney (booked with them cos we have joining rooms, which makes it easier with the kids.)

I'm looking forward to dressing up only a bit worried cos i dont want to look the odd one out if you know what i mean. but then i just thought its my holiday and who cares LOL ...

I'm going to look into the patches not sure if i can get them in OZ but will try....

I know i've got like 4 month but i've been putting a little box together from all the suggestions ! so by the time it comes round i'll be set to go.... very excited... i'm going to relax and enjoy every moment! and hope the kids and hubby will too...

I have a few more questions but will post in the morning! thanks again !!!

How sad is this . . . we haven't even been on our first cruise (Sept./RCL-Grandeur), and are looking at how soon we can get another one in. ALREADY! Thanks Cruise Critic Boards -- you did this! It's wonderful to have something so amazing to look forward to.

Just wanted to say hi and a big thank you!!! There is sooo many good tips on here, glad i found it!

We're booked for a 7day with RC in Nov 10 - (3 kids) very excited bit worried about the dress code for my Hubby :) and sea sickness!!!

Congratulations on your booking Mandafish and welcome to the wonderful world of cruising.

Take some time to research your ports, you can do this online or go out and buy and good guide book.

RC is terribly dressy but, enjoy the formal nights it is one of the highlights of cruising. When else do you have the opportunity to swan around in your finery.

Have a great cruise.

Jonathan

You don't have to over do it. A nice shirt, pants and a sport coat or a tie (or a jacket and tie) will do fine for "hubby". Buy some ginger tablets and you should be good for any seasickness.

Archived