Seward-Anchorage RR: Regular vs Gold Star Seats???

jjlasolas

On the Alaska RR from Seward to Anchorage, is the Gold Star seat worth the difference in money ($75 vs 130). I understand that the seats are slightly more comfortable/roomier, the viewing deck is better as you practically have your own upper deck for Gold Star only, it is double decker, and they serve non-alcoholic beverages. With regards to the VIEW, is it that much better with Gold Star? Or is there anything else I am missing for Gold Star?

I am assuming all of our luggage can go on the train as well, right?

We have a slight discrepency in family's views, so any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!

We were originally booked in the Adventure Class but changed to the Gold Star service a couple of weeks before we left for our cruise. We took the Gold Star service from Seward to Anchorage on July 17th. It left Seward at 6:00 p.m. and arrived in Anchorage around 10:15 p.m. (still light out!) I did not get inside the Adventure Class cars so I can't comment on them, but the Gold Star car was great. You are assigned seats and our car was almost completely full. The car has a clear dome overhead that extends down to the windows and a clear view out front. There were two seats on each side of the aisle. The luggage is all stored inside a baggage car and you retrieve it at your destination. I would suggest only taking a very small carry on into the car itself if needed because there was no overhead storage area.....it is all clear for viewing. At the back of our car was a beverage area where you could get sodas, etc. I think I also saw small bottles of alcohol for sale. The upstairs portion of the car is for seating. The downstairs portion was the eating area. About 30-45 minutes out of Seward they called each car in order for anyone who wanted to go and eat at that time. We were in Car A so got called immediately. We went to eat and it was okay. The menu is not extensive but the food was pretty good and reasonably priced. As soon as you vacate your spot in the dining area they will announce it so someone else can go down. I would say there was probably room for 30-40 people to eat at one time.

Most of the time my granddaughter (14) and I spent out on the viewing platform which is at the back of the upper deck of the car. The scenery is stunning. We saw a moose on the tracks in front of the train, a black bear in a meadow a short distance away, tons of glaciers, lakes, mountains, gourges with rushing rivers, meadows, etc. Turnagain Arm outside of Anchorage was particularly beautiful due to the time of day and the lighting. The entire trip was simply beautiful. I think the outside viewing area really made it special for us. We spent so much time out there taking pictures that I was hardly in my seat. (I must say I was pretty wind blown at times) I am glad we elected to spend a little more money. To us it was more than worth it.

Another comment to add: We had a great day. It was cool but sunny the entire trip which made for great pictures. If the day had been rainy and cloudy it may have been a different experience. Actually, we lucked out on much of our trip because the days we really wanted sun we got it. We were very fortunate in that regard. However, even if it might rain the trip is great and you would also enjoy the scenery sitting inside the train car. Most people did not come out on the outside viewing platform. There were only a few hardly souls who stayed out there the entire time, but it seemed like a better place for picture taking and seeing the wildlife you might come across. You can move from one side of the platform to the other with no problem. The only problem is if wildlife is spotted it will be announced and everyone will run to that side of the viewing area, cameras in hand. It would be the same inside the car also.

I ride in the regular class every time and the seats are very comfortable. I spend time in the dome car and vestibule. It is INTERESTING that the above poster, claimed to have done similar viewing as well??? The extra- $55 spent?? Certainly, worth it for some.

BQ: I find it INTERESTING that you capitalize words for emphasis. Can you state why you find this necessary? There are differences of opinion. I expressed MY opinion and MY experience. Each one will be different. I don't know what you are referring to regarding "similar viewing" as I stated up front that we did not travel in the Adventure Class and I had no personal knowledge of those cars. Again, as I stated, it was worth the extra cost for us. If budget does not permit, don't do it. If being outside does not appeal to you, don't do it. I only provided my impression of the Gold Star car in an effort to help the OP make an informed decision. Certainly your opinion and experiences are valuable but they are not the only one and certainly not totally definitive.

Good grief, I had avoided responding to this post, BUT, nowhere do I state EITHER choice is a bad choice. It's too bad it was felt, they had to be so defensive.

There is an easy "ignore" feature to use on my posts.

My point, is, you can get similar viewings, from either seat. I paid $119 for 2 people, plenty of people, find the upgrade well worth it. This is all I said.

. It is INTERESTING that the above poster, claimed to have done similar viewing as well???.[/

became

My point, is, you can get similar viewings, from either seat. .

that's the confusion ...(from my perspective..still don't know what was meant by claimed..)

I'm only interested because we want to do the trip..

In 2008 they did not have Gold Star Service. With the regular service you get your assigned seat. You also have the option of leaving your seat and going into a dome car to sit. They ask that if the dome car is full you only remain for a certain length of time so others can also get the opportunity to sit there. Memory fails me, but I think it was 20 or 30 minutes. If there are empty seats you can feel free to stay. If the car is full it is polite to leave and then if other seats become vacant you can return. You also have the option of using a platform between cars to view. Since I have not been on the Gold Star accomodations, I cannot comment on similarities. All I can say is that this trip was a true highlight of our Alaskan Vacation. We were there in June so we had plenty of daylight which was great. Just like mentioned above, they called the cars to the dining room one by one. Because of what I had read on the forum we picked up our own meal in Seward and ate it on the train. We were so glad we did, because our car was called around 8:30 p.m. if memory serves me right. ;) (sorry that memory isn't what it used to be). I would have starved.

I am sure whichever you choose will be GREAT!!!! You will see the same scenery on either, but it is nice if you can be in a dome the entire time you are inside. It is quite amazing. The day we traveled we had limited time in the dome car. There was availability but there were some very noisy families in the dome car that made it a bit unpleasant to be there.

You mention your family has different views about which train service to book. There is no reason you have to buy the same kinds of tickets. Those who want regular service can book that, and the others can book Gold Star.

Archived