Serenade 7/18/2010 trip report w/ pix

Galley tour -

As previously mentioned, you get invited to the galley tour if you purchase a cookbook (don't forget your crown and anchor coupon for this) from your dining room waiter.

Do the waiters come around asking you to buy a cookbook? How much was it? If you buy one, would a family of 4 be able to go or do you need to buy 4 cookbooks? What is the C&A coupon for this that you mention?

LOVE YOUR REVIEW and all of your pics and tips and descriptions. There will be a couple different islands on my sailing, but I'm loving this... thanks!

Do the waiters come around asking you to buy a cookbook? How much was it? If you buy one, would a family of 4 be able to go or do you need to buy 4 cookbooks? What is the C&A coupon for this that you mention?

LOVE YOUR REVIEW and all of your pics and tips and descriptions. There will be a couple different islands on my sailing, but I'm loving this... thanks!

Our waiter, Glenroy from St. Vincent, informed us of the cookbook offer and he was very good about making table announcements about ports, etc. I assume the other waiters would do the same.

My memory says that the cookbook was $29 and the coupon was for 25% off. We bought 1 and the two of us went on the tour so I don't think it is any problem for you to buy 1 and take the 4 of you.

hi Beancounter- I'm enjoying reliving our cruise through your posts! I keep telling myself I'll post my own review- but it's easier to hijack your's!

Crepes- They start making these as soon as the Solarium cafe opens for the afternoon (2 or 2:30- check your compass). Sauces: strawberry, chocolate and caramel with sliced almonds available for a topping. Unfortunately two different men made the crepes (depending on the time). One was wonderful- made to order, immediately put on a plate and filled, folded and topped to your taste- warm and wonderful! The other man made the crepe, then put it on the counter (the non-sanitary counter that had other items on it- that had recently been on the floor), then let it cool before he would make it. He wouldn't give it to you hot! Plus, after seeing it sit on the counter (not on a plate), I didn't want it! So keep your eyes open before ordering!

Galley tour- this is the first I heard of the tour! Our waiter did point to the cookbook one evening (it was open on the table on one night) but didn't give us a price or any info about a galley tour. He also didn't tell us what would be happening the next day in port, etc. He did mention the name of the next port and would say something about the next night's dinner (nothing specific). So if you're interested in a galley tour- ask your waiter early in the cruise; don't wait for them to tell you about it.

We loved the Serenade- beautiful ship, interesting (& busy) itinerary, great crew (a few minor glitches, but nothing to detract from the overall experience). If I never sail the Serenade again it's only because San Juan airport is such a nightmare, not because of any issue with the ship or cruise. (And we were never bored LOL!)

We are planning on going to Valley Church Beach as well on our day in Antigua. Did the couple in the hot tub tell you any of their thoughts on the beach, restaurant there? I am only travelling with my husband so I guess we will have to scout out another couple for the taxi drive so we can avoid the $64 taxi cost...ouch!!!

Still loving your review..sounds like a great week so far except the monsoon-type weather in St Lucia :)

I am also loving this review. I was in Antigua last year, and we went to Dickenson Bay Beach. There were 3 of us, and we paid (I think) $4 per person each way plus tip for a 10-12 minute cab ride. This beach was beautiful with calm water and powdered sugar-like white sand. It is the beach where the Sandals Antigua All-Inclusive Resort is.

Beancounter, thank you so very much for a wonderful review :)...and fantastic pics together with a great sense of humour :D

I was very interested in your review as we have a 'family' member onboard 'Serenade' until December when he goes home to Grenada to see his family for Christmas.

His name is Christopher and he is the drummer in the 'Hot Spices' Caribbean band. We email all the time....we were with him in the Pacific in April when his partner, Tracyann, gave birth to their daughter in Grenada. They named her 'Treasure' and I have framed pics of them all right here in front of me.

Christopher loves to talk to people....so please, all you lovely folk who are going on 'Serenade'....go up to Christopher and have a chat, he will really appreciate it :) ...... and tell him that 'Bindi' sends all her love as always :)

Christopher loves to talk to people....so please, all you lovely folk who are going on 'Serenade'....go up to Christopher and have a chat, he will really appreciate it :) ...... and tell him that 'Bindi' sends all her love as always :)

"Bindi".......I wrote this info down and will be sure to say HI to Christopher for you when I board the Serendade this coming Sunday!

Karen

"Bindi".......I wrote this info down and will be sure to say HI to Christopher for you when I board the Serendade this coming Sunday!

Karen

Hi Karen :)....that is so kind of you. I am writing to Christopher today but I won't mention that he is going to get a surprise :D

He is a really lovely person and will love meeting you.

Bindi xx

Forgot to mention that the show during the first formal night was Beatlemania. We enjoyed this show as much as any other. The music was very authentic and the players mannerisms and impressions were striking as well. You were left to wonder if you had gone back 45 years and seeing the real Beatles in their prime. I also thought the costume changes from the early black suites to the Lonely Hearts Club outfits to the later years was well done.

Great show.

I am enjoying your review but could have really done without the going back 45 years. Wow am I old.:D

I still have the last evening to talk about and am still trying to find time to get the underwater camera pictures developed. Really looking forward to seeing those pictures. I'll get to all that eventually, but here are a few more tidbits and tips.

Tip #19: When you get back into a US territory (such as San Juan or St. Croix) you should have phone and iphone access without international roaming. However, you may need to turn off your phone and turn it back on in order to reaquire a signal. We saw a few people frustrated with their signal in St. Croix and gave them that advice and it worked.

With such a small space in the room (but all of our stuff fit nicely with room to spare) we prefer to keep the room tidy. Before we left in the morning we would spend a few minutes tidying up and same with before leaving for dinner. Our empty suitcases fit nicely under the bed (use the front of the bed to put them in and take them out, you know, the side of the bed where your feet are) our backpacks went on the far side of the bed and our shoes were along the wall in front of the bed.

Tip #20: Use one of your suitcases for dirty clothes. We filled one up pretty well and also used the dirty clothes to wrap our liquor purchases in. We did not bring bubble wrap with us but this method withstood the rough handling of the luggage from the airlines.

This will come up again later in the review, but when you get to the San Juan airport they have an USDA inspection of all your checked and carryon luggage that you have to do first. This is not explained well by the signage. We knew this from reading this board and resisted the urge to line up at the ticket counter to check our luggage, even though the signs are not clear in that regard. It paid off. Eventually an agent came to the line and informed everyone they need green stickers from USDA on all of their luggage. Some passengers insisted that their luggage had already been inspected by the cruise line. It didn't work. They all had to get out of line and go over to USDA while we zipped up to the front, so ...

Tip #21: When you get to San Juan airport, go first to USDA inspection to get green stickers for all your checked and carryon luggage even if you don't see a sign instructing you to do so. Trust me.

On the 7th day of the cruise, your cabin steward will make their normal morning visit to make your bed and replace towels, etc. At this time, they will leave you with the instruction page for disembarkation as well as color coded luggage tags based on the return travel info you provided with your on-line check in. They will also have the tip envelopes and, if you prepaid your tips, the vouchers to put in your envelopes. Later that evening they will deliver any liquor you purchased on board or on shore. So, there will be multiple deliveries on that last day.

The crew have a lexicon that they don't use in front of passengers and look at you real surprised when you use one of their words. Read "Cruise Confidential - under the water line" to find out more.

The crew areas and passage ways are well hidden from the passengers. For instance there are a lot of crew with cabins on deck #2 that passengers can't (or shouldn't be able to) get to.

By all means, don't hesitate to interact with the crew. They all seemed genuinely engaging, especially when you took an interest in them and where they are from.

I tried to convince the wife to partake of some of the spa services but couldn't convince her to spend the money. How's that for a twist, I was was the accellerator and she was the brake.

I think there were some "no charge" things in the spa such was steam and sauna. We are kicking ourselves for not making it up there.

More coming later, I had to take a break from this review Thursday evening and all day Friday to move my youngest back to college. Brief empty nest period now until my oldest returns in a weeks time from his studies in Egypt. Will try to get everything finished up by then.

Tip #21: When you get to San Juan airport, go first to USDA inspection to get green stickers for all your checked and carryon luggage even if you don't see a sign instructing you to do so. Trust me.

I have never taken my carry-on luggage to USDA inspection in San Juan. Is this new? We plan on using luggage valet on our Jan '11 cruise (assuming it is running again.) We used it's equivalent on our Princess cruise this past November and it was great. Your boarding passes are given to you on the last evening. They take your luggage from you after you claim it and go through customs. The next time you see it is on the luggage carousel at your final destination. We sailed right past the USDA and airline check-in lines, directly to security. It saved a lot of time in line! No one questioned if our carry-on luggage had been USDA inspected. It would partially defeat the purpose of using luggage valet if we still had to go through USDA inspection for our carry-on luggage. Does anyone know about this?

I have never taken my carry-on luggage to USDA inspection in San Juan. Is this new? We plan on using luggage valet on our Jan '11 cruise (assuming it is running again.) We used it's equivalent on our Princess cruise this past November and it was great. Your boarding passes are given to you on the last evening. They take your luggage from you after you claim it and go through customs. The next time you see it is on the luggage carousel at your final destination. We sailed right past the USDA and airline check-in lines, directly to security. It saved a lot of time in line! No one questioned if our carry-on luggage had been USDA inspected. It would partially defeat the purpose of using luggage valet if we still had to go through USDA inspection for our carry-on luggage. Does anyone know about this?

Couple of things: 1) they haven't been offering luggage valet service on the Serenade lately. Don't know if this is temporary or permanent, but it wasn't offered.

2) Don't know if carryons were required to be inspected or not, but if you are already inspecting the checked luggage, might as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Beancounter,

I love your review w/the pics. We don't have enough of these boards (at least that I see) anymore. It was nice following you and your wife thru the cruise and see the wonderful Anniversary present you had for her. Also, thanks for the lobster link....I will have to give those a try sometime. Happy future cruising!

Thanks for the review! We go on the Sernade in December.

Question: If we don't want to arrange a ships tour, which ports would you recommend that we can just get off at the pier and book with someone? I love the beach- BUT my DH would rather DO something. I was thinking St. Martin, and Barbados with grabbing something at the pier. ANY suggestions would be great! Even if you just happened to see the tour and thought, "Oh we should've done that one." Thanks!

Love this review- makes me look forwrad to Dec.

Gabrielle

Archived