jaja

Trying to choose...For our December NCL Gem cruise

Undersea Snorkel

Athol Island Snorkel

Seahorse Sail & Snorkel

Anyone been on any of these????

Thanks

jaja

I have not been on a cruise through NCL, but our Carnival cruise (a couple weeks ago) I did book a snorkeling excursion on a catamaran that was named Seahorse. I don't know for sure if this is the same one, but considering that all the cruise ships use the same dock in Nassau, chances seem good that it is the same excursion boat. It was great excursion, good diving, and even the ride out was a lot of fun in the choppy, splashy seas. Keep in mind, I went in July, not December.

I have not been on a cruise through NCL, but our Carnival cruise (a couple weeks ago) I did book a snorkeling excursion on a catamaran that was named Seahorse. I don't know for sure if this is the same one, but considering that all the cruise ships use the same dock in Nassau, chances seem good that it is the same excursion boat. It was great excursion, good diving, and even the ride out was a lot of fun in the choppy, splashy seas. Keep in mind, I went in July, not December.

THANKS....NCL site says this is 3 1/2hrs. does that sound like it...(others 2 1/2)... also...the boats they show did have a seahorse on the sail!! one of the reviews on the site..mentioned boats were small/over crowded...and that they shared the reef with other boats and divers..so water was crowded too!--but sounds like you did not have that problem!

THANKS....NCL site says this is 3 1/2hrs. does that sound like it...(others 2 1/2)... also...the boats they show did have a seahorse on the sail!! one of the reviews on the site..mentioned boats were small/over crowded...and that they shared the reef with other boats and divers..so water was crowded too!--but sounds like you did not have that problem!

Our excursion was 3 1/2 hours (IIRC). I don't know about the sail, as I didn't look, but "Seahorse" was painted in large letters on both hulls. As for overcrowded...... We had about 60 people on our excursion, most sitting on the deck, and/or around the netting, but that was half the fun. People were sunning and enjoying the spray. There were 2 other boats on site, but anchored from 50 - 100 yards apart, and with easily over 100 people in the water, however, we are talking the Atlantic Ocean, not a swimming pool or beach. The ocean does not get crowded. Plenty of room to spread out. I am at work so do not have my pictures. I will try to remember to post some of them later this evening, and you can see what it all looks like.

Well, it took me 3 days to go through the pictures and get them edited and uploaded, but here you go.

The pictures below should give you an idea of the “Catamaran & Reef Snorkeling” expedition we took while in port in Nassau.

Picture 1 shows the boat tied up along side the waterfront. I won’t call it a pier. And yes, you have to walk along that really skinny strip of seawall between the wall and the water, to get on board.

Pictures 2 & 3 you can see people embarking. You can see some people spreading themselves around the deck and around the webbing on both sides of the bow. (the best place to sit)

Picture 4 shows people seated along side the webbing. Note the pontoon boat style excursion boat tied up alongside the waterfront forward of us. That boat, or another like it, arrived at the dive site shortly after we did.

Pictures 5 & 6 we are heading out through the harbor. Note in picture 6 that there is a bit of a chop. This provided some entertainment as some of the larger waves ended up splashing up over the hull and through the netting, as you will see in pictures 7-10.

th_88215_01P7150059_122_356lo.JPGth_88218_02P7150060_122_1147lo.JPGth_88221_03P7150062_122_549lo.JPG

th_88225_04P7150063_122_173lo.JPGth_88228_05P7150079_122_245lo.JPGth_88231_06P7150073_122_367lo.JPG

Picture 7 one of the first splashes, and a particularly large one at that.

Picture 8 the immediate aftermath, with everyone laughing about it.

Picture 9 waiting for another one

Picture 10 another, smaller wave, caught just as it is starting to come up through the webbing. As you can see, sunglasses are handy, they make a good windshield or splashshield.

Picture 11 at the dive site. Everyone is getting ready to go in the water. You will note the we all have on a dive vest. The user does have the option to inflate it or not, but they request you wear one. I have no idea what would happen if you said you did not want one. Also, you can see another of the Seahorse Catamarans at the site.

th_88234_07P7150083_122_554lo.JPGth_88238_08P7150084_122_344lo.JPGth_88243_09P7150088_122_455lo.JPG

th_88247_10P7150089_122_32lo.JPGth_88250_11P7150097_122_372lo.JPG

Picture 18 our boat as seen by me in while in the water.

Picture 19 another excursion boat, Flying Cloud

Picture 20 my view of the area. You can see about 50 people in the water. (kind of reminds me of a picture from a ship wreck movie). You can also see the pontoon excursion boat to the left.

Picture 21 the ladder back onto the boat. You can see people resting in the webbing above.

th_88281_18P7150133_122_1063lo.JPG

th_88284_19P7150124_122_477lo.JPGth_88286_20P7150145_122_189lo.JPGth_88290_21P7150163_122_362lo.JPG

Picture 22 After the dive, as we are getting ready to head back to port. Again you can see the pontoon excursion boat. Also, just left of center, is a woman bending over. Behind her, and pulled up on the beach of the island off which we were snorkeling, you can just make out the mast and part of the Reef Snorkel & Beach catamaran.

Picture 23 People relaxing on deck as we head back to the harbor.

Note, there were quite a few people further astern, and inside the cabin, but the forward deck was the place to be (unless you prefer to hang out by the bar in the cabin).

Picture 24 coming back into the harbor, you can see (left to right) Carnival Fantasy, Miracle, and Pride at the piers. You will note that it is getting gray out. We were racing ahead of a rain squall. We reached the wharf about the same time as the rain, though it lasted only a minute or so, and since we were all wet from snorkeling, no one cared.

th_88292_22P7150166_122_184lo.JPGth_88295_23P7150173_122_244lo.JPGth_88300_24P7150192_122_189lo.JPG

W

You are the best!!:D Thanks so much for taking the time to do this..

Really gives me a better idea of the tour for sure..!

(PS--on our last snorkle trip on a cruise....we were out during a rain storm..it started as soon as we got to the dive site..!--it was so weird..lying in the water and having rain beat down on your back!)

Thanks again..

Archived