?Best Kauai beach for 2nd day on POA?

ottawagarden

Recommend the beach in front of the Marriott resort which is an easy walk from the ship . They have great facilities and a concession where you can rent all kinds of of water sports and beach equipment . We love it !

We were there shortly after a major rain. The water in front of the Marriott was the Kauai red mud color. I didn't get in, but bought a t-shirt from a local vendor dyed from the mud. The water was a bit rough, too. The sand was beautiful.

Recommend the beach in front of the Marriott resort which is an easy walk from the ship . They have great facilities and a concession where you can rent all kinds of of water sports and beach equipment . We love it !

The beach is about a half mile from the ship. You can also take the FREE shuttle to the Anchor Cove Shopping Center which is adjacent to the beach. Once you get off the shuttle, head through the shopping center and out the back and you are on the beach! Then take the shuttle back to the ship.

(Anchor Cove knows people do this and don't mind.)

• 4 weeks later...

Does this beach near the ship have snorkeling? We like a beach day - but only if we can snorkel.:p

I have been looking at Poipu beach for day 2 on the POA itinerary. We may have a rental car, but if we choose to go on an excursion through Robert's on Day 1 we may go without the car. Without a car, is there a good way to get to Poipu from the ship? How far is Poipu from the ship?

Thanks!:)

What time of year are you traveling? If it's summer or early fall some north shore beaches - Haena, tunnels (actually, tunnels is really just the eastern part of Haena), Hanalei bay, or anini are great for a day at the beach. Late fall and winter, not so much on most days. The drive past Kapa'a is wonderful, and from Princeville on is magnificent. Assuming you have your car on the 2nd day, start early and have a great time on the northern beaches. Plan on giving yourself an extra 45 min to get back (traffic that I've experienced has never been THAT bad, but you never know).

And when my kids were 10-16 a "day at the beach" rarely lasted more than 2.5 - 3 hours anyway.

You will love the north shore beaches.

What time of year are you traveling? If it's summer or early fall some north shore beaches - Haena, tunnels (actually, tunnels is really just the eastern part of Haena), Hanalei bay, or anini are great for a day at the beach. Late fall and winter, not so much on most days. The drive past Kapa'a is wonderful, and from Princeville on is magnificent. Assuming you have your car on the 2nd day, start early and have a great time on the northern beaches. Plan on giving yourself an extra 45 min to get back (traffic that I've experienced has never been THAT bad, but you never know).

And when my kids were 10-16 a "day at the beach" rarely lasted more than 2.5 - 3 hours anyway.

You will love the north shore beaches.

We will be there in May (May 14 sailing on the POA). If we were to go to the north shore beaches I would prefer to do it on day 1 and stay closer to the ship on day 2, just for my own comfort level. I do not want to be stressed about getting back on time. Plus, we are not real early risers. It is a vacation, after all!;)

Does this beach near the ship have snorkeling? We like a beach day - but only if we can snorkel.:p

I have been looking at Poipu beach for day 2 on the POA itinerary. We may have a rental car, but if we choose to go on an excursion through Robert's on Day 1 we may go without the car. Without a car, is there a good way to get to Poipu from the ship? How far is Poipu from the ship?

Hi Ginny, The beach near the cruise ship is NOT a good snorkeling beach choice. I'm not sure if you looked at the pics from my review...I know you have seen my review because I just answered a question for you. :) But here is a link that has a few pics of the beach in question http://picasaweb.google.com/MindyAlton/PointsOfInterest# The water was fine for swimming and lots of folks were renting kayaks and paddle boards, there were even some surfers...however they had to paddle out pretty far to find the waves! As far as the distance to Po'ipu beach, it is about 30 minutes or so from the airport car rental location. Hope that helps!

Mindy :D

Hi Ginny, The beach near the cruise ship is NOT a good snorkeling beach choice. I'm not sure if you looked at the pics from my review...I know you have seen my review because I just answered a question for you. :) But here is a link that has a few pics of the beach in question http://picasaweb.google.com/MindyAlton/PointsOfInterest# The water was fine for swimming and lots of folks were renting kayaks and paddle boards, there were even some surfers...however they had to paddle out pretty far to find the waves! As far as the distance to Po'ipu beach, it is about 30 minutes or so from the airport car rental location. Hope that helps!

Mindy :D

I was actually thinking of Poipu Beach, not the closest one to the ship. It helps knowing how far the drive is to Poipu. Thanks. How far is Poipu from the ship? I do not want to go as far as the North Shore beaches on Day 2.

BTW, I loved your pictures. Poipu sure didn't look like a snorkel beach that day!

If you and the kids are adventurous take the Kalalau trail to Hanakap'ai beach, or if that is too much just hang at the beach at the end of the road, you need to get there early to find parking.

We have a rental car and 4 kids ages 10-16. Any suggestions for a nice half day on the beach from the port?

We are planning Waimea Canyon and Poipu beach on the first day.

Here's the thing. In Hawaii, the beaches that are best or safe for snorkeling change throughout the year. In the winter, the north shore beaches of Kauai are usually not safe for snorkeling and the water can be rough, choppy, and cloudy. In the summer, those same beaches can be wonderful for snorkeling and swimming.

No one can guarantee you snorkeling at any beach in Hawaii, not even the very best, because the conditions change day to day and season to season. If it's a deal breaker, then you'll need to decide that very day which beach to try and you'll need to know the weather and water conditions for the day (e.g., wind can make even the best snorkel spots rough and not clear).

Poipu is often a decent snorkeling beach, though not the very best, and it's usually got decent conditions throughout the year--but not if storms are or have been coming through. It's about 30 minutes by car from the pier. I don't know if there are any shuttles from Lihue to Poipu and I've never seen one, but I'm sure there are some taxi services (which would be pretty darn expensive, IMO).

I wish you calm waters and sunny days!:)

beachchick

Archived