Do you order at home as you do on a ship

katiel53

I asked this on another thread, but never got any answers. Hopefully, I will on this thread. I know some people order multiples of appetizers, entrées and desserts. When you dine out at a restaurant where you are paying per dinner, per appetizer, per entrée etc.--you get the picture, do you order food as you do on a ship? Do you waste as much when you are paying for a meal in itself as opposed to paying for food on a ship?

I have seen people post they or family have order 20+ lobster tails, every entrée and shared it with the table, multiple appetizers etc.

I admit that I order two lobster tails as I am allergic to the shrimp, but normally I don't order things I won't eat. I don't order things "just because I want a taste of something" or "just because I can." I wouldn't do that at a restaurant where I had to pay for it, so why would I do it on a ship?

Just wondering if you feel that because you paid for food, you should be able to eat or waste whatever you want. No flaming please. Thanks.l

I asked this on another thread, but never got any answers. Hopefully, I will on this thread. I know some people order multiples of appetizers, entrées and desserts. When you dine out at a restaurant where you are paying per dinner, per appetizer, per entrée etc.--you get the picture, do you order food as you do on a ship? Do you waste as much when you are paying for a meal in itself as opposed to paying for food on a ship?

I have seen people post they or family have order 20+ lobster tails, every entrée and shared it with the table, multiple appetizers etc.

I admit that I order two lobster tails as I am allergic to the shrimp, but normally I don't order things I won't eat. I don't order things "just because I want a taste of something" or "just because I can." I wouldn't do that at a restaurant where I had to pay for it, so why would I do it on a ship?

Just wondering if you feel that because you paid for food, you should be able to eat or waste whatever you want. No flaming please. Thanks.l

I do not. My ordering habits stay fairly consistant.

Try them all. Taste and chunk. Who cares, it is your choice. I always order several, some I keep some I send back.

I eat more on a cruise than I do at home. I usually don't order appy's at home, and I check the prices when I order. But I did pay for the cruise so I order what I like. I do not waste food though. I only order what I know I can eat. I usually have one appy and one entree (although sometimes I will split a 2nd entree with my hubby) and I only order dessert once a day and only if it's worth the calories (something I really love to eat). So that's how I do it.

I only order things I think I will like, but I order way more than I would at a restaurant paying. I wouldn't order an appetizer, soup, salad, entree, dessert, cappucino at a restaurant. Too expensive! But on a cruise, I'll order what ever I feel like. I try not to be wasteful though.

I don't order any more than I can eat on the ship, and I have never ordered two of anything. However, if I thought I could or would like to eat two, I would order them. My DH orders two entrees or appetizers occasionally, but he never wastes them. I don't like to see people order multiple items and then not eat them. We were taught to "Clean your plate!" (However, I admit to leaving food, when I just didn't like it.)

When at home, I definitely take each menu item's price into consideration before ordering. That is something we don't have to worry about on the ship, so we order "expensive" food choices that we would not order at home. That is the difference between dining on the ship and at home.....On a cruise, we eat "the good stuff". That's just part of cruising. :)

I definitely order more on a ship than I do at home. I love to cook and hubby and I like healthy fresh food so we don't eat out that often. Only once or twice a week. But on the ship there are new things to try... salad, app, soups, entree, dessert. We almost always eat all 4 courses and sometimes even an extra one where at home we would just have a salad and an entree if we went out.

I would like to see the post where someone said they ordered 20 items at one dinner.

If they play for the Atlanta Thrashers or they're a offensive lineman for the Bears this might be standard ordering procedure.

I do not. My ordering habits stay fairly consistant.

My server brough extra app's, entree's and desserts maybe only one or two being on request. I think it depends on your sever. I have never head anyone say they were charged extra at dinner for such stuff.

My dining room habits onboard a ship are, for the most part, identical to those when not on a cruise vacation . . . with the exception I rarely have a dessert at home, yet I do for several evenings on the ship.

I have always ordered on the ship the way I do when I eat out and pay.

However, my boys- all swimmers and runners- usually order 2 appetizers and 2 entres. When we eat out, our family always orders at least 2 appetizers and have found the portions at restaurants larger. Since the portions are a little smaller on the ship, the boys order two of each.

As my mom says, they each have a hollow leg. They are bean poles and really pack away the calories. Luckily they are healthy eaters and do et what they order.

At home, I order an entree and the occasional dessert. On the ship I definitely eat an appetizer, salad, entree and dessert. I can only recall once or twice where there was not an appetizer that I cared for on the menu so I ordered 2 entrees and split the 2nd entree with my husband. Usually 2-3 times per cruise, I order 2 desserts because well...I love desserts. If I didn't order it at dinner, I'd probably go grab it from the Lido deck anyway to take back to the room to eat. I always eat more on vacation than I do at home - that goes for ANY vacation. Even on a land based vacation, I'm more likely to order an appetizer and dessert with meals where you pay for each separately. I follow a 1400 net calorie per day eating routine at home and I indulge on vacation.

You're asking about human nature, the food is "free." Of course many people are going to order more and TRY more dishes on a cruise where they do not have to pay extra. I would if I could still eat like I could when I was young.

An old restaurant joke is: The waitress comes to the table as all are finished eating. "Anyone for dessert?" She asked. "Oh, no I couldn't eat another bite!" "I'm stuffed." "No more, please." They all say. "Its included!" Says the waitress. "Oh, I'll have the cake." "Cheesecake for me!" "I'll have ice cream." They chorus!

Human nature.

Archived