Seabourn announces revised dress code

Martita B.

At the risk of interrupting conversations here it seems that Seabourn has co=opted a bit of Regent's policy where there are no formal nights on cruises 16 days or less, then formal optional on longer cruises which means wear formal of you like. Only Seabourn is doing it on all cruises.

Formal optional used to mean wear a tux but a dark suit will do. Now it means wear a tux or dark suit only if you want.

For me this means no more formal wear at all. The only reason I wore one before was that the whole ship looked beautiful when EVERYONE was dressed up. There was an ambience that lent a specialness to the formal evenings. Once you lose that and some people will dress formally while others do not that specialness is gone. Imo, this is just a step on the road to eliminating formal nights altogether.

At the risk of interrupting conversations here it seems that Seabourn has co=opted a bit of Regent's policy where there are no formal nights on cruises 16 days or less, then formal optional on longer cruises which means wear formal of you like. Only Seabourn is doing it on all cruises.

Formal optional used to mean wear a tux but a dark suit will do. Now it means wear a tux or dark suit only if you want.

For me this means no more formal wear at all. The only reason I wore one before was that the whole ship looked beautiful when EVERYONE was dressed up. There was an ambience that lent a specialness to the formal evenings. Once you lose that and some people will dress formally while others do not that specialness is gone. Imo, this is just a step on the road to eliminating formal nights altogether.

Henry,it hasn't happened yet.Let us see what guests wear after the change in October,you might find that guests on some cruises do dress formally.

Okay before you end this thread, do I understand correctly that a collared dress shirt and jacket....no tie or black tie will be accepted every night in every venue?

Shall we start discussing women's wear too? Just kidding.

Meta

Okay before you end this thread, do I understand correctly that a collared dress shirt and jacket....no tie or black tie will be accepted every night in every venue?

Shall we start discussing women's wear too? Just kidding.

Meta

I stand corrected. More to discuss. I shall bite my tongue.;)

Henry,it hasn't happened yet.Let us see what guests wear after the change in October,you might find that guests on some cruises do dress formally.

On another tread we discussed the possibility of having a separate roll call area for SB. If indeed we do that wouldn't that be a good way of finding out in advance what your fellow cruise mates plan to wear on formal optional nights. If the majority seems to favor a more formal evening then it might be worth lugging the tux & gown around, but on the other hand if you find that most of the passengers on your cruise are planing on going with elegant casual that would be worthwhile information. Our upcoming SB cruise in the Caribbean seems like it might be one that the majority possibly will prefer elegant casual, but we will wait and see if one of my "Ginger Rodger's Dresses" should be invited on the cruise.

On another tread we discussed the possibility of having a separate roll call area for SB. If indeed we do that wouldn't that be a good way of finding out in advance what your fellow cruise mates plan to wear on formal optional nights. If the majority seems to favor a more formal evening then it might be worth lugging the tux & gown around' date=' but on the other hand if you find that most of the passengers on your cruise are planing on going with elegant casual that would be worthwhile information. Our upcoming SB cruise in the Caribbean seems like it might be one that the majority possibly will prefer elegant casual, but we will wait and see if one of my "Ginger Rodger's Dresses" should be invited on the cruise. [/color']

Well I'm taking my Tux and the wife her long evenging dress on Dec 10th cruise on Sojurn.We did the same last year for 1 night on a 5 day cruise on Century. She haqs a wardrobe full of evening and cocktail dresses and its one of the few times she gets to wear them Nowadays even if you go out to an expensive restaurant most peaple are dressed totally casual, whereas years ago we wopuldn't dream of going out to dinner without a suit and a cocktail dress.

A few years ago on Silver Shadow, apart from the first and last night everyone wore cocktail or long dresses and the men wore suites or jacket with tie every night plus formal wear on the 2 formal nights.

Neil

Bravo, Sir. You are a gentleman of decision. And that is surely the point. Those who wish to dress formally may, and those who do not may not.As a matter of etiquette, will you refuse to share a table with someone who is ahem, merely casually elegant?

In any case, I offer to buy your charming wife a pre dinner cocktail. My offer might extend to you, but depends upon your answer.

On another tread we discussed the possibility of having a separate roll call area for SB. If indeed we do that wouldn't that be a good way of finding out in advance what your fellow cruise mates plan to wear on formal optional nights.

The problem with that being that CCers will only be 1-2% of the passengers on any given sailing! (But a nice idea, nonetheless!)

Paul ;)

who wishes he had a SB cruise in the offing...! :o

The problem with that being that CCers will only be 1-2% of the passengers on any given sailing! (But a nice idea, nonetheless!)

Paul ;)

I was just about to post that and you beat me to it Paul!! :( On a ship of 200 guests, there are probably only about 5 who have ever heard of Cruise Critics....so there might be a table of formal wearers sitting in a sea of casual!!

Bravo, Sir. You are a gentleman of decision. And that is surely the point. Those who wish to dress formally may, and those who do not may not.As a matter of etiquette, will you refuse to share a table with someone who is ahem, merely casually elegant?

In any case, I offer to buy your charming wife a pre dinner cocktail. My offer might extend to you, but depends upon your answer.

On behalf of my wife she will accept your offer. As I mentioned in my post we dressed formally for the one formal night on the Century. What i didn't say was that I was probably only one of six men in a tux and my wife probably one of twenty in a long dress. Our fellow diners at our table, who we bonded well with were dressed Elegantly Casual or with a suit and tie. We take people for what they are not how they dress.

Some years ago we thought we would have a quick break on an Airtours (now defunct) cruise, which was decidedly down market. This was a cruise where Formal meant a clean T-shirt and would the women please wear a bra!!! It might have been fun, but we had to cancel as I had a diving accident a few weeks before and had to cancel.

Neil

Oh, rats. Airtours sounds like it could have been fun. Lots of women German tourists, I bet. Shall I look for a chap in a toque, or will you simply have a reserved seat at the Skybar?I trust you are fully recovered from your diving misadventure.

Oh, rats. Airtours sounds like it could have been fun. Lots of women German tourists, I bet. Shall I look for a chap in a toque, or will you simply have a reserved seat at the Skybar?I trust you are fully recovered from your diving misadventure.

Airtours was a mass market tour company that decided to enter the cruise market with two old ships. All British with plenty of Fish and Chips and Bangers and Mash. We thought we would go down market for some fun.

Don't wear a togue, though I have a couple of small ones with matching aprons. (read my post on the roll call) My wife will have the reserved seat, I'll just be standing as close to the Macallan as possible.

Thye diving misadventure was years ago and i was actuall training someone to come and rescue me from the sea when a wave slammed me in to a boat landing. Bit embarrassing as he had to rescue me for real.

Paul ;)

Taking say the lower end of your estimate ( ie 1%) this means that on the Sisters there could be 2.12 CC ers. Does the 0.12 turn up to the meet and greet?

Actually ,my experience on the new ships suggests a rather higher %. And there were probably CCers who read, if not contribute to these threads, who for entirely understandable reasons do not wish to declare their " allegiance".

Does anyone elses experience suggest a larger % age CCers or is this going "off topic"?

Oh, dear. I guess I should be grateful that i missed that particular boat. I notice that Wandering Winos has chosen to evade my delicate probe as to derivation of moniker.My obsession with solving the puzzle of Shefinch aside, there do seem to be some poster names worthy of contemplation, if not investigation. Headchef2010 seems straight forward, but ...I can't tell if the game is afoot, or my foot is asleep. What say you?

WWs, I think that is quite a delightful posting name, suggestive of people who really take pleasure in life.I was concerned that you might need to be introduced to Friends of Bill, but I see that my apprehension was misplaced. I trust that you, too, will be in the vicinity of the Skybar after sailaway, and that appropriate introductions will take place at that time. And a grateful thank you to benzygirl for the transliteration of my query.

Looking forward someday to sharing a glass of wine with you. Love following your postings. You certainly have a way with words.

Shirley

Looking forward someday to sharing a glass of wine with you. Love following your postings. You certainly have a way with words.

Shirley

He is outstanding. Love his posts also and trying to figure out how to get on same cruise with him, MarianH and JaneBP. They all have a great way with words...I don't mean to slight anyone. There are a few more also Shirley (ww's) and I are on facebook together, so I am following her. I think Jane might be on the Legend Christmas cruise with us AND we just signed up for the Sojourn next September 3...Dover to Quebec and I think Jane is on that one too. We loved the itinerary. A crossing plus interesting ports. Seabourn said it was the first time they have tried this and it is 40% booked a year away. Want to do a crossing on the sisters but no time in 2011, guess I will have to wait until 2012. We should all do it. We don't do short cruises..only 14 day to 28 day or more. Let us know if you think one is really special!! My husband keeps thinking we should do a Celebrity or Oceana...I think that is heresy BUT I'm willing to try as long as there are lots of ports!!!.

rhn, you could offer to subsidize our passage. Just think, marianh and I available to bore you to tears--kick off being a heated discussion of bourbon vs. scotch, ending when both debaters collapse at the table from their multiple toasts.

Ladies, thank you for your kind words. (Which allows me to say to my toughest critic in the next room, "See!"). I am indeed a Noo Yawker by birth, but have worked assiduously to suppress my accent. Am extremely envious of southern drawls and Yorkshire dialect. The former is simply charming, the latter mysterious and often incomprehensible--but still vaguely familiar so as to allow one to nod knowingly, as though participating in the conversation. Any road...

rhn, you could offer to subsidize our passage. Just think, marianh and I available to bore you to tears--kick off being a heated discussion of bourbon vs. scotch, ending when both debaters collapse at the table from their multiple toasts.

Ladies, thank you for your kind words. (Which allows me to say to my toughest critic in the next room, "See!"). I am indeed a Noo Yawker by birth, but have worked assiduously to suppress my accent. Am extremely envious of southern drawls and Yorkshire dialect. The former is simply charming, the latter mysterious and often incomprehensible--but still vaguely familiar so as to allow one to nod knowingly, as though participating in the conversation. Any road...

I would suggest that you could do any accent you wanted. My husband has the genteel Southern gentleman accent and I love it. When you meet him, you know exactly where he is from. I have been and lived too many places to have one....and really worked in college to get rid of all traces. Never appreciated in the business world.

Since we cannot afford to subsidize...how about you becoming a guest lecturer and let Seabourn do the subsidizing. You certainly are well traveled. However, you would have to get used to suite 107 (I think that is it, right next to laundry room). That's where they put guest entertainers, lecturers, etc.!!!!

Back on topic ... we too are caught in the middle of our changeover in dress policy. We will be on the Legend for two weeks starting Sept 25 so one week will be under the "old new policy" and the second week will be the "new new policy." It is actually more of a problem for my husband that myself. A cocktail dress can be dressed up with shoes and jewelry to suit a formal night but Sailor Boy is now in quandry regarding whether or not to pack the tux. Much as he loves wearing black tie since we are now talking about just one formal night he is not sure he want to pack a suit and a tux( as well as the sport coats).

rhn, I really can't do accents. But if i may disagree, I have noted that southern accents have an almost magnetic attraction for the French, though leave the British interested but, um puzzled. Business people not exempted. (If we don't hear from marianh on that one, he must be off somewhere.) How you get to be a lecturer/entertainer on Seabourn (at least in theory) is kind of interesting. In effect, you work your way up from the huge ships carrying thousands to the luxe lines. Problem is, very few lecturers can be equally appealing to a mass audience and a select one, although destination experts can, I suppose. The matriculation is based on favorable reviews from the passengers. Also, there is the vote of one's companion to consider. Like the original members of the Security Council, she has veto power. A propos of accents, a beautiful French woman I knew told me with some satisfaction that she was going out with a Texan. Nothing about his wit, intelligence, occupation or looks. Just that. A little like a man who casually lets slip that "my girlfriend is French." It would appear in certain circles that says it all.Or at least something.

Back on topic ... we too are caught in the middle of our changeover in dress policy. We will be on the Legend for two weeks starting Sept 25 so one week will be under the "old new policy" and the second week will be the "new new policy." It is actually more of a problem for my husband that myself. A cocktail dress can be dressed up with shoes and jewelry to suit a formal night but Sailor Boy is now in quandry regarding whether or not to pack the tux. Much as he loves wearing black tie since we are now talking about just one formal night he is not sure he want to pack a suit and a tux( as well as the sport coats).

If it were Don...I would suggest that he wear the tux with long black tie on one elegant casual night..thus wearing it two times. Don't know if Sailor Boy would do that..but I am certain that Don would. Lola

Wandering 1. To travel about without destination

2. To think or speak deliriously

Wino 1. To drink and enjoy wine.

(refer to #2 above)

Let me add all this while dressed appropriately. ;) (Trying to stay on OT)

We are very lucky people. When I told my husband that a couple who refer to themselves as the Wandering Winos were on our cruise, he was thrilled...said they sounded just like our kind of people!

Yes, we're from Indiana, the Hoosier State, and 74 is unfortunately the year I graduated from IU, not my year of birth.

Is it too early to start a roll call? I read through a roll call for a similar cruise last year and it was quite active. I think perhaps you were also on that cruise? Or are we the 2.whatever CC participants who will be on this cruise? This will be our first Seabourn cruise but I really don't have many questions as this board has been very helpful. :)

Yes, we're from Indiana, the Hoosier State, and 74 is unfortunately the year I graduated from IU, not my year of birth.

Is it too early to start a roll call? I read through a roll call for a similar cruise last year and it was quite active. I think perhaps you were also on that cruise? Or are we the 2.whatever CC participants who will be on this cruise? This will be our first Seabourn cruise but I really don't have many questions as this board has been very helpful. :)

Never too early, the fun is always in the planning.

Archived