Online travel purchases - heads up

EmmaPeel

Hi All -

This post is really just a reminder for all of us who purchase things online to pay close attention to our credit card billing statements.

Last week I purchased travel insurance online for our upcoming cruise, and the week before made my final payment to Carnival on the phone. No big deal normally. But then last night I got a call from some random company about a purchase I had made. Upon calling them back, and checking my online credit card statement, I found that someone had used my credit card to make fraudulent purchases. :eek:

I am pretty sure my info. was taken when I made the online purchase of travel insurance, as it was the last (and only) item I bought after the phone payment with Carnival. Also, the person who made the fraudulent charges had my name, address and home phone number (not things you normally give out at a store).

In all my years of online purchases I have never encountered this problem. Just goes to show that there is always a first time.

Anyone else encounter this problem when paying for travel arrangements recently?

Cheers!

I agree with dbcruzin....who knows who or how someone got my info. (I am very careful about giving my info. out and am very careful about properly disposing of sensitive trash).

Just because I suspect it may have happened when I made that last online purchase doesn't mean that's when it happened. Could be someone got my info. long ago and has been waiting to use it. Who knows? Now that I have notified everyone I need to, I'll leave it to the proper people to figure this one out.

Since this happened while I was making many purchases for travel cooridnation, my post was just a reminder to always be vigilant when making lots of purchases online or otherwise. ;)

I have also gone through them three different times and have never had a problem but it is very true... it can happen anytime, anywhere these days.

I was asking more out of curiousity than as a slanderous statement. I do not believe the primary poster was being slanderous in any way either. It's just unbelievable the fraud that goes on these days. Thank goodness you caught it right away.

Archived