Splendour of the Seas - just back! Do you have any questions?

Enjoy your cruise....can't wait for ours.....post when you get back! Sorry you won't get to hear Pete on the ship....but I know you will enjoy the entertainment on board...His wife is so very talented as are the rest of the cast members!

Take pictures and post for us all to see...

Happy cruising..

Hi there. We were wondering why at the shows with the singers/dancers they said this was their last week on the ship as a new group was coming on the following week.

I'll try to give you a few tips that I can think of, but if you have specific questions let me know.

This ship is the oldest ship in Royal Caribbean's fleet! I thought it was in good shape but there were 2 things in the room I was not expecting. The showers have the shower curtains and not the doors - just a bigger pain for me at least as they are small to begin with! The other is that the safe's require a credit card to open/close by swipping it!! I was not expecting that as all other ships I have been on were a 4 digit #. I've heard (but never tried) that a gift card would work, and that way you don't have to carry your credit card around the ship.

I did not think there were as many day-time activities planned (especially on sea days) as other cruises (in the Caribbean) had. Not a big deal to me so it did not bother me. The night time entertainment seemed to be a lot of singers, etc. No comedians, etc. My guess is this is to accomodate many languages? The shows were packed though! So was the dining room at dinner. Many cruises lately (in the Caribbean) I found the shows and dining rooms more empty.

For some reason the ship was dead in the mornings. On both sea days you could still get a prime chair at the pool at 10am! I was in shock. The windjammer for breakfast early in the morning was dead too.

As for ports, I'm am sure you will love your tour in Ephesus! We did a half day tour through Ephesus Deluxe and had an excellent guide. They will take you to a carpet store, so if you do not want to spend ~1hr there, you need to let your tour provider know now. I found it interesting to hear how they make the carpets, etc but I know many complain about it.

In Santorini you will tender. They let ship tours get off first. I believe 7am (or 7:30? it will be in the compass you get nightly) in the atrium they hand out tender tickets. We got down there about 10 min prior to when they would hand out the tender tickets and there were about 30 people already in line. We did not have to wait long to get off the ship either so that was nice. I loved Santorini. You can easily do it your self if you like by taking the public bus (1.80 euro each ride) to Oia, walking around Fira, perhaps visiting a beach, etc. We did the donkey up and the cable car down!

Dubrovnik I really enjoyed but it was so hot. We did the ship shuttle for $5 US each way into town. Totally worth it. We then walked the walks (10 euros pp) and eventually took the cable car (it just opened this month) up to the top of a mountain. It had some great views. You must pay in local currenty (Kuna) though or credit card. It is equivalent to 10 euros though.

Corfu I would maybe do something else if I did the cruise over! Perhaps try to have a guide or do a ship excursion. We did the ship shuttle (again $5 US each way... although I heard from tablemates there is a local bus for 1.80 euros). We visited the old fort and then a local beach.

Oh, for sail away out of Venice, be sure you are up on the top deck! Excellent views of Venice.

Hope that helps some!

Hi, we were on that ship in May and it is nice to re-live it again through other travelers experiences.

Just one point to fellow travelers regarding the safe, it does advertise on the front that you have to use you credit card to open/close it. However, it will also work if you swipe it closed and open with your Seapass card. This is what we did and it saves bringing your credit card around while you are onboard

We saw the cable car in Dubrovnik being built in May, interesting to hear that it is now open, I am sure the views are stunning from the top

For an older ship IMO Splendour can't be beaten.. For those traveling later this season enjoy....

P.S Just one more thing to add, if you can be up early for the sail back into Venice on the last day it is well worth it. Venice is so serene at that time of the morning before the tourists descend, it is breathtaking

• 2 weeks later...
I was originally going to write a review for my cruise, but I don't have the time yet! Maybe one day soon I will. Overall, I loved the cruise and especially the ports (the ports were the reason we took this cruise).

We did the 8 day sailing from Venice stopping in Dubrovnik, Mykonos, Kusadasi (Epheses), Santorini, and Corfu.

If you have any questions on the ship or these ports please let me know and I'll do my best to answer your questions!

I am on the 18th September cruise with my husband. First time to many of these ports and we can't wait.

Just wondering if you think it is worthwhile getting any of the beverages packages. What are prices like onboard for soft drinks, water and wine (by the glass)?

Also, what was the gala nights like? Dress? We are away in Europe for 3 1/2 weeks and was trying to avoid hubby having to take a suit, or is this a definate requirement?

I am on the 18th September cruise with my husband. First time to many of these ports and we can't wait.

Just wondering if you think it is worthwhile getting any of the beverages packages. What are prices like onboard for soft drinks, water and wine (by the glass)?

Also, what was the gala nights like? Dress? We are away in Europe for 3 1/2 weeks and was trying to avoid hubby having to take a suit, or is this a definate requirement?

Hi Schatzi Su

There are two formal nights on board the Splendour, on our cruise people tended to dress up more on the 1st formal night rather then the 2nd. The guys were mostly in regular suits, very few tuxes and women in cocktail/party dresses and or smart trousers and a dressy top. Some people didn't get dressed up at all.You can always skip it if you don't fancy lugging this gear and accessories around Europe for 3wks. We ate the last night in the Windjammer, it was our 1st time doing this and it was a pleasant surprise. It was a lot calmer and less hustle and bustle then the MDR. The menu is a listing from the dining room version, and you can help yourself from the buffet to whatever selection you desire. You may wish to consider this as an alternative dining venue for the formal evening.

A Pinot Grigio by the glass was coming in at $10 before the tip, this same drink was around $7 in 2009. We like wine with our meals, and this was the 1st year we booked a package as it was better value for our selection of wine rather then buying by the glass, there were some nice Sauvignon Blancs in the selection.I seem to remember that a fellow CC'er has published a comprehensive review on the new wine packages, if you look through the search functionality that may help you with your decision.

Hi Schatzi Su

There are two formal nights on board the Splendour, on our cruise people tended to dress up more on the 1st formal night rather then the 2nd. The guys were mostly in regular suits, very few tuxes and women in cocktail/party dresses and or smart trousers and a dressy top. Some people didn't get dressed up at all.You can always skip it if you don't fancy lugging this gear and accessories around Europe for 3wks. We ate the last night in the Windjammer, it was our 1st time doing this and it was a pleasant surprise. It was a lot calmer and less hustle and bustle then the MDR. The menu is a listing from the dining room version, and you can help yourself from the buffet to whatever selection you desire. You may wish to consider this as an alternative dining venue for the formal evening.

A Pinot Grigio by the glass was coming in at $10 before the tip, this same drink was around $7 in 2009. We like wine with our meals, and this was the 1st year we booked a package as it was better value for our selection of wine rather then buying by the glass, there were some nice Sauvignon Blancs in the selection.I seem to remember that a fellow CC'er has published a comprehensive review on the new wine packages, if you look through the search functionality that may help you with your decision.

Thank you.

• 1 year later...
I was originally going to write a review for my cruise, but I don't have the time yet! Maybe one day soon I will. Overall, I loved the cruise and especially the ports (the ports were the reason we took this cruise).

We did the 8 day sailing from Venice stopping in Dubrovnik, Mykonos, Kusadasi (Epheses), Santorini, and Corfu.

If you have any questions on the ship or these ports please let me know and I'll do my best to answer your questions!

Hi do you still have your Compasses? If so could you check (or do you know) what time the shows are and if there are two. We are usually on early seating and catch the late show but wanted to know if there was an early show for the late diners? :)

Thanks

. . . This ship is the oldest ship in Royal Caribbean's fleet! . . .

Not to be overly nit-picky, but [my OCD requires me to point out that] Legend, Majesty, and Monarch are older. She is a great ship. When we cruised Splendour in 2007, she and her sister Legend were the smallest in the fleet by tonnage and passenger capacity. The recent upgrades may have added a bit to her capacity.

Our first cruise was on Splendour. Still one of our favorites. It is hard to beat Venice for sail away.

I am on the Splendour in November. What type of cabin did you book? We have a E2 (smallest balcony) which is one of the new ones on deck 6. I am a bit concerned as they seem tiny.

Other than the shower curtain and the safe (good to know I can use my sea pass) what else can you tell us about the cabins?

Thanks

Dena

. . . I can use my sea pass . . .

Although carrying another card is a hassle [however small] using your seapass is not recommended because if it is lost or stolen the finder/thief would have access to your room and your safe.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I was just wondering about the age groups on this cruise. I'm 20 and going on this ship with my mom, dad, and sister (23) in early August. I'm prepared for it to not have many kids like a caribbean cruise, but i was just wondering if there seemed to be at least a fair amount of young adults like myself? and if there seemed to be sufficient night life at the clubs and such?

Although carrying another card is a hassle [however small] using your seapass is not recommended because if it is lost or stolen the finder/thief would have access to your room and your safe.
On Carnival, you need your seapass (equivalent) to get into your room. You also need it to get back onto the ship. Buy one of the neck strap id holders and take it with you. :rolleyes:

Archived