tunis dress code

happy to be sailing

Hi,

Here is a photo I found on flickr, showing how people were dressed on a cruise last year:

IMG_0977

Dressing extremely modestly probably won't be "required", but since Tunisia is a Muslim country, the more you can cover up (w/o being too uncomfortable if it's a warm day) will show the most respect.

But, definitely don't wear a long skirt, if you want to take a camel ride ;)

The girls take a camel ride

In any Muslim country you should dress "modestly" i.e. no short-shorts, tank tops, low cut shirts/blouses leaving too much "exposure," etc. I've found in most North African countries normal shorts and tee shirts or polos are acceptable even though you might get stares from the more strict religious types. For visits inside mosques long pants and shirts with sleeves would be better.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just in Tunisia and as long as you do not wear provocative clothing you are fine. We used a taxi to take us around and had no problems except at the souk were it's so full...they all sell the same things and some of the men are a little aggressive in trying to get you into their stores but that is typical of most markets worldwide.

You must no matter what go to Sidi Bou said it is beautiful!

Archived