health issues

czexrus

The only insurance we got him was the one through carnival; im thinking i should read the fine print now.

Yes, we will all continue to cruise. When we booked the cruise not knowing if he would be able to go but hoping he said and "i want to make sure that if i can t go that everyone else still does go."

He also has a trachestomy so he wouldn't be able to eat. That doesn't bother him so much as the thought of something major happening to him that would put him in the "critical" state.

Thanks for all the comments.

I am a nurse and I think taking him on this cruise that he wanted is a great gift. Yes bad things can happen but, they can happen anywhere. I would just make sure you have all the information you need and some back up plans. The infirmary and doctors on the ship should not be taken lightly, they are actually quite skilled and can do quite a bit onboard. Lets not forget they are responsible for their own "city" of employees as well as visitors. Find out exactly what the insurance covers and run through a couple of disaster scenarios and have plans for each. Look at the islands you will be visiting as well as the closest ones while out to sea. Have a folder with the hospitals that will most likely be used in each port. Also do not neglect to take to someone in the funeral business, preferably the person you have chosen to take care of arrangements here (I am assuming that plans were made when he originally became ill) If not find out and get a contact number if you need it of someone who can take care of the legalities of dying outside the USA.

After that, go and have a great cruise. You will not regret the fun times you have and the quality time you will spend with him on the cruise. Looking forward to the cruise and being on the cruise ship will probably be the best medicine available. People often look at their history and think that they are now not well enough to travel when in reality, a week before he had his heart attack and stroke, he was probably in more danger of sudden death than now when he is under care. Lack of medical problems in your past is sometimes not a predictor of how well you will be one week from now. Most heart attack victims are blissfully unaware of their impending doom and are often in better health afterward, then they were right before the medical problem occurred.

We are cruising on the Legend next Month. Here's the issue. Last year, my father had a stroke and heart attack. He was in the hospital for 5 months and when he got home he decided that he wanted to take the whole family (15 of us) on this cruise. What i'm wondering is if there is a medical emergency, let's say a stroke or heart attack (something that i'm guessing the infirmary wouldn't be equipped to treat) what happens? Woulc they fly him to let's say Florida since that would be the closest US land?

If anyone has any opinions please post. He is now feeling a bit worried about getting "stuck" in Mexico and having an issue.

also, can we get a motorized cart or something that he can use once we get off ship at the islands for sightseeing.

Thanks so much.

Have you thought about the motorized scooters that break down? My dad has one which we don't use anymore since he got his handicap van. I know he wanted to get rid of it since its just taking up space. We purchased it new about 2 years ago for $500. If you want to email me off list I would be happy to help you with this since I was the one who found it for him in the first place. It fits easily in a trunk. Or you can just check ebay for them.

:) Kerry

4boysnus at gmail dot com

Archived