Mayan Ruins

Fisherlady48

The actual Ruins are very interesting to look at and some beautiful photo ops. There also is a nice beach there you can swim at but when my sister and I went we went on our own and really enjoyed it but an all day tour I think would be a bit much. We spent about 2 hours there and stopped for a beer before hopping the taxi back and that was plenty!

We just came back from the NCL Dream that had Cozumel and Cancun as two ports of call. We decided to book the Tulum tour with the ship out of Cozumel as we were to be docked there and tendered from Cancun. It was a wise choice as we were not able to tender into Cancun due to weather and we would have missed Tulum if we booked it for that port. That being said, the tour was to be 6 1/2 hours long out of Cozumel but in reality it was nearly 9 hours due to the ferries being backed up in Playa de Carmen. Needless to say it was way too long a day and both my husband and I were exhausted by the time we got back to the ship. Our ship was scheduled to pull up anchor at 6:30 p.m. and we were to be back on board by 5:30-6:00 p.m. Our tour group was the last to board and we were thankful that we were on a ship's shore excursion as they waited for our group even though we didn't board the ship until 7:10 that evening. So for that reason alone I would recommend that you do only a ship's excursion. My husband had not seen Tulum before and he liked the ruins in Altun Ha, Roatan much better. I had seen Tulum back in 1997 and was astonished at all of the changes now and how touristy the place had been built up.........I liked it much better the way it was in 97. However if you have not seen it before then you may enjoy it. Wear your bathing suit and take a towel from the ship if you want to swim at the beach. You will have at least a full hour after the guided tour to do what you want.........whether it be swimming, shopping or sitting around having a beer or a sub........yes there is Subway there.

Archived