Help plan my day from Naples to Capri to Pompei

elsplace2

I have been reading bits and pieces of spending time in Capri and Pompei. But everyone has their own ways of doing things and their must see's etc. I was hoping to get it in one lump sum, catered to what we want to do and see, from you experts out there! I KNOW, its best not to rush and just pick one....but who knows when we will go back, so I would rather, get a little "taste" of each, then not to see it at all!! If we ever come back, then I would spend more time at the one I wished we had more time in.

Here's what I know what we want to do....if you guys can help me with the timing, and the quickest way of getting there....public transportation, that is, buses, trains, boats etc....(preferably no cabs, cabs will be a back up if things aren't going as planned, seeing they are more expensive.) The more details the better.

Our ship is scheduled in Naples from 7:00am to 7:00pm. I would like to be back at port no later then 5:30pm.

We figured going to Capri first, this way we are closer to port at the end of the day. I know it may be hot in the afternoon for Pompei...but we can handle that.

In Capri our must do is the Chairlift Ride. I assume we would have a little time to get some walking around ..but that's where the timing comes in. I don't know how long it will take to get from the hydrofoil to the chairlift to the top of the mountain...If that's all we get to do that's fine...we can enjoy the sites on the way there, but hopefully there is time to do something else....suggestions welcome...even if stopping for a quick lunch which includes a pizza. Suggestions for a Pizzeria would be great, either in Capri or Naples.

Then what time do you suggest we catch a hydrofoil back to Naples to get to Pompei? Should we take the train or the bus? How do we get to the bus to Pompei? I read it somewhere but now cannot find it? I hear the bus may be quicker, is that true? I figure approx 2 hours in Pompei will give us a good feel of it, if we have more time then we will stay, if not, at least we got to see it.

Please help us stick to this plan......Thanks in advance for all your help!

If you create a google map for yourself using Molo Beverello, Naples, Italy as your starting and ending points, and Marina Grande, Capri and Pompei Scavi as your interim points, you'll see that it kind of forms a triangle. Rather than return to Naples before going to Pompei, I'd suggest following the triangle around: Molo Beverello to Marina Grande Capri, then Marina Grande to Sorrento (by ferry), then the shuttle bus up the hill to the Circumvesuviana station and take the train to Pompei Scavi, and the train again back to Naples Porta Nolana station, then walk, cab or take the #1 tram back to the port.

Euro Cruiser....Thanks! I never thought of using the Google Map for that......The great thing about that is, I was hoping to be able to see Sorrento, as well, but knowing our time contraints, I knew it wouldn't be possible, but I'm glad we will get to see some of it, even if it would be just passing through! I had read that the ferry ride was only about 20 min....but I didn't know where it was in relation to getting to Pompei! Thanks for that point....guess I will be using that much more often!!

Thanks for the website for Capri as well...I will take a better look at it this weekend, but in the meantime...do you know how long it will take to get from the hydrofoil to the top of the mountain....(no stopping in between, with the exception of waiting for a bus or whatever) I apologize in advance if the answer is in that webpage you sent!

The time it takes to get from Marina Grande to the top of Mt. Solaro will depend on several factors.

First, I think you need to get up to Capri town to get the bus, but I'm not positive about that. (It's been several years since I did this and I'm not sure if the bus starts at the marina, or up in town.)

If you do need to get to Capri town, the limiting factors will be either (1) how long it takes you to hike up or (2) how long the lines are to buy tickets for the funicolare and the line for the funicolare itself.

The bus comes fairly frequently, and the ride to Anacapri only takes about 10 - 15 minutes.

The chair lift ride was pretty quick, or it seemed so - that may have been because I was enjoying it so much. There wasn't a line when I took it, but it was in October, after the crushing crowds of the midsummer.

My best guess would be to assume the entire round trip, from Marina Grande and back, will require at least two hours.

I think I have read the chairlift to the top was about 20 minutes.

Really? Wow, in my memory it seemed to fly by, it was just so enjoyable. I remember watching a woman work in her garden as we went by, only a few feet above her head.

Maybe my two hour estimate was on the low side? (especially factoring in my clearly failing memory!)

Archived