CostaMaya/Mahujual review/ long

BobbieSu

I did not enjoy this stop. Looking back on it I suppose it wasn’t as bad as it felt that day, but I would change what I did now that I have been there.

I had decided that this would be our beach day. So many of you had written how relaxing and fun your day at the beach here had been. I spoke to someone who had gone the same day as us, done the same thing and had loved it. So I suppose it was more my expectations than anything else. But I would not call Mahajual beach relaxing. It was hectic, crowded, busy, noisy and confusing.

From the ship we took the little trolley down the dock and while waiting for some friends I walked around the pier area. There were lots of shops. The two pools looked inviting. The seawater pool is close to the sea. There is a rocky shoreline which provides the soothing sound of waves. The “beach” was clean and small.

When our friends arrived we went to the back of the pier area, bought our ticket to the “fishing village”, stood in line and before long a bus pulled up. It filled up quickly. It has obviously become a busier destination and requires larger transportation than taxis or vans. It was a short ride to town.

I expect I would have liked Mahujual pre-cruise. Sleepy little village, one hotel, fishing piers and sandy street, empty beach. But my impression of it now was that it was completely overwhelmed and unable yet to cope well day after day with the influx of cruisers, let alone the other workers and area folks who congregate in hopes of cashing in.

We were discharged at the edge of town where almost immediately the beach begins. The walk down the sandy street was fun, there are vendors lining both sides. These were temporary tables set up as needed. Closer to town center there were more permanent stalls. It reminded me of an art festival. There were clothes, t-shirts, hammocks, masks, wooden articles, silver, pots, plates, bowls, ceramics, glass, and lots more. After much wandering and comparing I purchased a silver necklace/bracelet combo and two t-shirts total $50, (beginning price, $75), but that was later.

My husband wanted to sit, so we walked, looking for somewhere. We passed parasail signs, snorkel trip signs, palapas that looked like bars, we saw Tapas beachside palapa, but everywhere it was crowded. There was no visual way to tell where one “establishment” ended and another began. Finally we saw an empty picnic table under a palapa where DH could get shade. We parked our stuff and I went walking. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing.

The beach was nice white sand ---where you could see it. Beginning at the street and going to the ocean it was maybe 50 yards. Also beginning at the street and going to the ocean there were palapas, tables, chairs, massage tables, loungers. There was nowhere that wasn’t taken up with something. To walk along the beach I literally had to walk in the water.

There were people here and there in the water, and it would not have been too long of a swim for a strong swimmer out to where the waves were breaking on the reef, but between all the fishing piers which were renting jetskis, kayaks, and banana boat rides, I would not have risked it, there were too many motorized vehicles out there whizzing around. While he was waiting my DH says he saw both the massage table next to him break and a jet ski come limping in and the owner trying to fix it...These were not top notch equipment.

I walked to the end of the beach in about 10-15 minutes where the jungle vegatation takes over and there indeed was Pez Quadros looking exactly the same as all the other little palapas selling beer.

I walked along the street on the way back talking to the vendors and looking at their wares.

When I returned to our spot I realized there was noone manning the bar by our table so I walked across the street to the Mahuajual Hotel and restaurant. The restaurant was empty except for a woman who spoke a slightly better english than I spoke spanish. She was from Mexico City on vacation there with her son. She liked this better than the crowds in Cancun or Mazatlan. Besides, she said, it was cheaper.

Eventually someone came out and I attempted to request two salsas, two guacomoles, and some chips to go along with the pop I picked out myself from the fridge. I thought I had passed along the order, but for 15 minutes nothing happened. Finally someone else came out saw me standing there and went back in....Maybe the service is better at Pez Quadros and Tapas. We did get our order brought out to us eventually and we sat at our little table five feet from waters edge (but with a massage table and another chair between us and the water), and ate our salsa and guacomole. It was good, about what I expected for genuine Mexican food. Tasted much like what my mexican friends make back home. The Manzanita fruit drink I got was the most tasty, refreshing thing I had all trip.

There was someone getting a massage right next to us, there were people coming and going on the jet skis, there were people in the water laughing and having fun, there was a group who seemed to appreciate the wandering guitar and flute duet and kept them busy just far enough away that it was pleasant. We were surrounded on all sides by palm trees. The guy with the basket of banana chips on his head came by a few times. We ran out of chips and sent our son back to get more...I thought he needed the cultural exchange. We finished the food and drinks and my son and DH were ready to go. DH used the bathroom at the restaurant, I didn’t go in.

I went back to shopping determined to find something to help the economy and remember this day. I got tired of everyone asking ‘what price you want?’

When I found my necklace I walked back down to the taxi stand on the edge of town (there is one in the middle of town as well). I was shown to a taxi which were lined up waiting. The driver was most friendly and I enjoyed our little attempt at conversation in spanish. He was from Bacalar.

I had scheduled a hot stone massage for this afternoon and was more than ready for the relaxing, quiet, aromatic hour and a half.

What I would have done differently: I would have gone out of town. I don’t know whether to Uvero, Mayan beach Garden, Solymar, Bacalar, I don’t know, but I would not have tried to relax on Mahuajual’s beach.

What I liked: The interactions I had with a few vendors, the guest in the restaurant and the cabbie. It was fun to try out my spanish, they appreciated it so much. They all called me amiga, very friendly people.

Su

Thanks for the review, Su. What ship were you on? How many ships were in port when you were? What time of day were you at the beach? Sorry for so many questions.

We have booked a horseback riding excursion for Costa Maya. Did you see anyone doing that?

Thanks for your input.

Sandy

I know most people who go love it and enjoy the beach time. I just had a different picture in my mind as to what a "beach" was. We don't drink so maybe that has something to do with it, the cheap Mexican beer was not a plus. We spent the sunday we returned on FLL beach, it is two or three times as wide, plus miles long, even with a Sunday crowd it seemed less hectic and more enjoyable.

Sandy, We were on the Explorer. We docked at 7:30 ship time. We were the only ship till about noon when another RCCL ship came in (the Mariner?). I don't think they overlapped too much. We probably got to town about 10 our time. I left about 2:30-3pm. I saw horses at two places I think. I did not see anyone riding them (I truly don't see how you COULD ride them on that beach, maybe the excursions go somewhere else). Those that were further down, past the center, had a sign stating that some of the proceeds would benefit the schools....

Su

Su,

Thank you so much for answering all of my questions. I must say I am a little worried about the size of the crowds as in addition to the Splendour, Grand Princess, Galaxy & Veendam are all in Costa Maya the day we are. I think they all arrive before us too. We aren't horseback riding until noon, so by the time we finish with that, hopefully some who have been at the beach since early morning will head back to their ships and we'll have the beach to ourselves (ha). Oh well, I'm guessing it will be a great day no matter what!

Sandy

Sandy, you are welcome. Do you know if you go to the village to get the horses? You do have a lot of ships in that day....just expect crowds and join the party and I'm sure you'll have fun.

For someone who wants peace and quiet and wide open beaches though I recommend you go somewhere else.

Su

We were in Majahual In November 2005, and found the beaches to be no more crowded than any other tourist area. Yes the middle of town was really crowded, but we had rented a golf cart for the day and were able to slowly move out of town as the crowds grew larger. The water was beautiful, the beaches were a beautiful white sand with numerous palm trees. Yes there was some trash, and the restrooms were for the most part dirty, but ya can't blame that on the citizens. Everywhere I looked there were tourist throwing trash and food on the beach and that was sad. Heck, they must turn out the whole town at night to clean up the mess that the cruise ship tourist make, and then we have the audacity to complain about the dirty restrooms and beaches. I am not aiming this at you BobbieSu, as you were right about the crowds, and we were lucky having the golf cart to get to a secluded area.

Hey TimmyII, I'm assuming you meant Nov 2004 ;)

I actually didn't see any trash, the town seemed clean enough for somewhere right on the beach, with a sandy road. I'm just wondering how far down you went? Did you go out of town? Because the beach in town was wall to wall palapas, tables and chairs. And it looked to me like the beach ended at Pez Quadros....just wondering what I missed....

Su

Su,

Our instructions for the horseback ride are to meet by the water fountain at the port. We will then find out all details but have to go to Mahahual on our own as the tours are not allowed to provide transportation (only the port authority vans & buses). We all meet up again in the village to get our horses.

Sandy

only see one ship in port the day we are there but I know how things can change.........wondering if it's even worth the round trip cab fare or if we should just shop around a little at the pier shops and head back to the ship..........only wanted a beach to relax on but massage tables between me and the water was not what I envisioned..........:)

Sharlene

TimmyII, I think that if we had had more time, if my DH and DS would have felt more adventurous, if I had known there were other places to head to maybe we would have kept going on foot. I'd say maybe next time, but I think next time it will be to head to Bacalar, (which I was seriously considering anyway) and do beach in Cozumel. And you know, come to think of it, I didn't see any golf carts. I wonder if that is still an option?

Sharlene, it is only $5 RT and takes 5min each way. If you don't like it you can come right back. The shopping is alot better in Mahajual if you are interested in Mexican stuff. I did find the nicest silver necklace that I feel is one of the two best souvenirs I brought home. I think it is worth going,,,,I just wish I wouldn't have expected a big, wide open beach.

If I wanted to just lay out, the "beach" area they have near the pier was actually nice, just very small. I liked the sound of the waves on the rocks.

Sandy, the first group of horses I saw was right after you get off the bus at the edge of town. Maybe you get to ride through town and head down that road TimmyII went on and find some quieter places.... I'd love to hear how it goes.

Su

Sharlene, it is only $5 RT and takes 5min each way. If you don't like it you can come right back. The shopping is alot better in Mahajual if you are interested in Mexican stuff. I did find the nicest silver necklace that I feel is one of the two best souvenirs I brought home. I think it is worth going,,,,I just wish I wouldn't have expected a big, wide open beach.

Su

Su,

well, there will be 3 of us so that will add up to $15 RT and I wonder if I should just spend that on drinks lounging out at the pier......:)

just have this picture in my head now of a massage table between me and a view of the beach..........and our DD (15) would want to go into the water........the idea of all those 'water toys' zipping around makes me uncomfortable.....

hey, I understand that this is progress for them and can't knock that.......wish I could have enjoyed it when it was more like the review from June '04.........just a little disappointed.......:)

Sharlene

Thanks for the frank opinion and what to expect. We are still trying to figure out exactly what we want to do for our day in port. I was thinking of going to Tapa's for the food and drink and not the beach atmosphere. DH and I were thinking of this as a sleepy little mexican fishing town but it sounds very busy now with all the ships in port. We will probably still go but it is good to know ahead of time what to expect. I liked the picture because it really gives you the lots of beach chairs cramped in a small area sort of feeling. I was not really expecting that - I was thinking of a place that had maybe seating for 10-15. The toilet seat is def. interesting as I am a female beer drinker who will have to strengthen my thigh muscles before the trip - LOL - that too was VERY good to know! LOL - thank you again!

Wow! We LOVED Mahajual! I think it was my favorite beach. We were there on 2/8. Splendour of the Seas was the only ship in Costa Maya (I think). We had the beach pretty much to ourselves. We walked up to Tapas. Alan, our waiter, was the best! There were 8 of us and our total bill for the day was less than $100, for food and drinks. We had a table under the palm trees for the DHs and lounge chairs right by the water for us. The massage tables were off to the side. There isn't a lot of beach between the road and the water. Most of the day, the only sounds we could hear were the waves and the wind through the palm trees. Occasionally it was 'disturbed' by a strolling guitar player. Peaceful and beautiful.

There were vendors all along the dirt road through town. We just walked by most of them. I didn't think they were anywhere near as obnoxious as the vendors in Cozumel.

I wish I was there right now. SIGH........

Joni

I loved the beach in Majuhaul! I'm from Pittsburgh and we always went to the Delaware beaches (Bethany and Rohoboth) Now that I'm in my 50's I can't take the sun as well. Having palm trees and umbrellas made that beach paradise for me. We had lunch and margaritas at Tapas right on the beach and looked out at that BLUE, BLUE water and it was heaven.

Chuck-Rather than retype a lot of things, I just bumped up a thread entitled "Golf Cart Fight" There is just about everything you wanna know about Golf Carts on that thread. Just don't let the title scare ya off. hairraise.gif If ya wanna know anything else please feel free to ask.

Sharlene, well there is the cute little bar at the pier around the pool and they have some mexican dancers perform which I didn't see. You can enjoy the day there by the ocean too. I'm glad I went into town, just so I got a feel for it.

Alwaysready2go, if you are there for the food and the drinks and pick a good spot you will probably love the added benefit of sandy beach and unreal blue water.

Su

Archived