How to spend time in FLL?

scalan

We will be arriving a full day early in FLL before our cruise departs. Any suggestions on what to seeor do in that day? I don't relish the idea of hanging around the Embassy Apts to pass the time. We won't have a car so if there is something within walking distance I would like to hear about it. Thanks, Nina

We stay at the Embassy Suites all the time..will do so again in a few weeks. It is very nicely located with alot of shopping and resturants within walking distance. However, what do you mean by arriving a full day ahead??

We normally check in around noon and pick up our wine and champagne to bring on board... we enjoy the Managers Reception at 5-7 PM at the Suites. You can take a taxi to the beautiful beach ,,close but alittle too far to walk...there are things to do in the area (evergales tours, etc.) but you will pay as much for a taxi as you would to rent a car for the day. The water taxi is within wlaking distance and can be a water sightseeing touring for you...check out the stops along the way

http://www.watertaxi.com/

You might enjoy the evening Jungle Queen Cruise... a short taxi drive away, a great tour of the canal and homes...an all you can eat bar-b-que and some hokey entertainment.

http://www.junglequeen.com/

have a great cruise

There really isn't much to do within walking distance other than hanging out at a restaurant and bar. As far as shopping, you will find a couple of boutiques, wine/liquor store, grocery, drug stores, used book store, Ross Dress for Less, and Office Depot...there are 3 big shopping centers but this is as exciting as the shopping gets. You could take the #40 bus directly to the beach or the Galleria Mall.

Thanks to those of you with your suggestions. I mean that by having a full day in FLL we will have just that. Due to flight scheduling we will arrive on a Thursday night and won't sail until Saturday. Thus we'll have all day Friday to mosy about. The water taxi sounds interesting. I don't think the shopping sites will interest us. We have those same places right here, but thanks, anyway, for the info.

Nina

There's a day tour on the water taxi, personally I love bobbing around in the Intracoastal.

Las Olas Blvd is a great place to stroll in Ft. Lauderdale, lovely little shops, cafes, and small clubs with live music. Las Olas is tree-lined, so even in the day, you'll be in the shade.

I'm not a fan of the Jungle Queen, just a bit cheesy if you ask me, but many folks do enjoy that sort of thing.

Aruba for dinner or a long lunch is wonderful. You can take public transportation up A1A to Commercial Blvd. Aruba is a tropical restaurant with a good bar. It's right on the beach. Great food, good cocktails. Take a walk on the pier after your meal. (It used to be .50 per person, it's privately owned.) There are a few beachy-touristy shops nearby to investigate. If you didn't get Key Lime Pie at Aruba, check out the ice cream shop.

Get a sandwich at La Spada and have lunch on Ft. Lauderdale beach. Poke into the Elbow Room for a beer. Sing "Where the Boys Are" because they haven't heard it enough.

See if you can get a taxi driver to take you to that part of Port Everglades where the FPL (Florida Power and Light) warm water outlet is and see all manner of sea life, manatees, rays, tropical fish.

Go down to Beach Place if you really want a touristy look at the beach. A multi-storied shopping and dining complex. Not my cup of tea, but the young kids used to hang out there. There used to be a Howl At The Moon there. A piano bar that's loads of fun.

Drive up A1A and look at the ocean and the luxurious homes, especially up by Galt Ocean Drive. You can go all the way into Boca Raton and check out South Inlet Park. It's a gorgeous little park, a great place to have a picnic. We've thrown many bridal showers at the pavillian there. You can barbecue and they have an electrical outlet for a boom box.

http://www.pbcgov.com/parks/locations/southinlet.htm

I'd rent a car were I you. They're pretty cheap in Ft. Lauderdale, and even for the little bit of driving you'd want to do around the beach.

• 2 weeks later...

:) Thank you all who responded to my request of suggestions as to what to do in Ft. Lauderdale. You have certainly given us much to consider. I will print out all of the ideas and take them with us to refer to and select from.

Glad to hear there is a place nearby to purchase wine to take aboard the ship. We do enjoy a glass on the balcony between a shore tour and dinner and I am tired of stuffing small bottles of wine into shoes in our checked luggage for this. (We do purchase our Manhattans and Rum Punchs at the ship bars, though). We've not sailed from a port before where a wine shop was close at hand that we were aware of. (San Pedro and Vancouver)

Again, thanks to all of you and happy sailing wherever you may be headed.

Archived