Elegant Dressing: Who still does it?

comeon530

In past cruises, we always dressed up. But this cruise, I plan on taking 3 skirts and different tops. I won't have to bring along a dress/suit luggage. We'll look nice, but not "elegant" as some people will be. We don't really care.

We enjoyed "elegant night" up to about cruise number 8. By then we had all the pictures we wanted and it became something of a chore.

Now we just skip it or dress a bit more casual.

For most cruisers playing dress-up is a very minor part of the experience.

For some it seems to be the number one reason why they cruise.

It takes all kinds.

Anyone know where I can get a TOP HAT?:)

I'm putting on my top hat,

Tying up my white tie,

Brushing off my tails.

I'm duding up my shirtfront,

Putting in the shirt studs,

Polishing my nails,

I'm stepping out, my dear,

To breathe an atmosphere

That simply reeks with class;

And I trust that you'll excuse my dust

When I step on the gas,

For I'll be there,

Putting down my top hat,

Mussing up my white tie,

Dancing in my tails. (Irving Berlin)

High Hats and arrow collars,

White spats and lots of dollars,

Spending every dime

For a wonderful time.

If you're blue and you don't where to go to

Why don't you go where fashion sits?

Puttin' on the ritz.

We enjoyed "elegant night" up to about cruise number 8. By then we had all the pictures we wanted and it became something of a chore.

Now we just skip it or dress a bit more casual.

For most cruisers playing dress-up is a very minor part of the experience.

For some it seems to be the number one reason why they cruise.

It takes all kinds.

I couldn't agree more!! I used to LOVE dressing up for Formal night, but I can't be bothered anymore, twice during a 7 night cruise just became a bit too much for me!

Even when I dressed in my full tux and I was seated with someone a bit more casual (and I was a couple of times) it didn't impact my enjoyment of MY meal one bit! I respected their choice to dress a bit more casual.

Why do I care?

Two reasons:

1. The attire of others affects the atmosphere of the entire dining room. There is something special about a good meal, with good company, in the presence of folks who are dressed properly.

When someone walks in with torn jeans and a t-shirt (as happens more often than it used to), the atmosphere in the dining room changes from restaurant to fast food.

If I wanted to eat in a fast food joint, I wouldn't be in the main dining room of a cruise ship at dinner time.

Reason one doesn't apply on Carnival when there is singing and dancing in the dining room EVERY night of the cruise. That is not "elegant", personally it reminds me of Applebees' or TGIF's when someone is having a birthday party!

I don't want this to be an argument or discussion of the dress code. I'm just wondering how many people still like to dress up for dinner on Carnival cruises. I enjoy wearing and seeing others in their cocktail dresses and formal gowns. I'm planning to wear a gown on my next cruise. Am I alone in this?

Hi, I was on Splendor earlier this year and didn't take notice of what other people were wearing during dinner. I wore dress slacks, button down and tie for each formal night.

And there you have it. In a nutshell.

I think what's being completely missed in most of this is that the argument is NOT about whether or not people should follow the dress code put out there by Carnival - this discussion is much more about whether or not people really still "dress to the nines" for elegant night. I haven't seen anyone suggest, or encourage, wearing jeans or shorts on elegant nights in this thread. I've seen a bunch of people saying suits and formal dresses should be worn, and a bunch of other people saying no, shirt/tie and simpler dresses are just fine by us. Both are well within the guidelines set by Carnival.

You're gonna do a lot of walking....

True. It's pretty near impossible to avoid people who laugh at others. But if you remember why they're laughing it won't bother you. People belittle others because they themselves are insecure deep down and so they look for someone they perceive to be weaker or with flaws to criticize in order to give themselves a boost. The key is to have enough confidence to not be bothered by them. :D

As long as you're following the dress code, no worries. Personally I like to get dressed up sometimes but doesn't bother me if someone else doesn't.

We were on Legend and I would say 85% of the people dressed up on formal night, suit for men, pretty dresses for ladies or nice evening pants outfits.

We were on Fascination last Nov. and it was more casual.

I'm retired and love the excuse to put on a long dress and enjoy it !

I think what's being completely missed in most of this is that the argument is NOT about whether or not people should follow the dress code put out there by Carnival - this discussion is much more about whether or not people really still "dress to the nines" for elegant night. I haven't seen anyone suggest, or encourage, wearing jeans or shorts on elegant nights in this thread. I've seen a bunch of people saying suits and formal dresses should be worn, and a bunch of other people saying no, shirt/tie and simpler dresses are just fine by us. Both are well within the guidelines set by Carnival.

You are, of course, correct.

But some just can't help themself, they want it just like 10 or 20 years ago.

It a shame how worked up people can get over something as small time as MDR dress on a cruise ship.

IMHO it seems a little small and petty.

our first cruise was on the holiday in 1991. i wore a dark suit and my wife wore a long dress. we still dress up on our cruises. we always have our pictures taken, the only time that we do.:)

we have been married 44 years on sept. 2nd. and when my wife dresses up, she is still 'hot' to me.;)

That's a very sweet thing that you said about your wife linbobky. You don't find many men these days who would publicly say that. Congrats on your 44 years--our 41st is coming up.

2 cruises..with 4 days on land. My 29 in case, and small rolley carried elegant attire for each night, plus my day/port attire. I left with 44 pounds wt.. and came home with 46..even with my month of purchases. I take the same amount/bag on a 5 day/week etc cruise. I dress elegant every night..My secret is rotate plain bottoms, low-wrinkle garments, that steam in the shower. I packed 44 pieces of clothing for 54 changes.Usually 5 pcs per day. I did my "smalls" in the cabin/hotel. So it can be done..w/o ballgowns, but very formal looking tops and bottoms. Flew from spain to Florida. No man along, but he has done 10 day w/me,and tux stuff. and the same rules applied. just plan!

Thank you all ... I had gotten the impression from reading the Carnival web site that we would be alone if we dressed formally. I'm getting read to pack now, so this info was very timely.

I'm sure glad someone didn't mind..happy packing!!!:);)

As you can tell from my avatar photo, I dress in a tux and wife wears a gown. I bought the darn thing and I'm damn well going to wear it.:D

ROTFLMAO! Best post in the thread and best reason to wear the darn tux! :)

ROTFLMAO! Best post in the thread and best reason to wear the darn tux! :)

The same goes for a fancy skirtlike pants/jacket ladies outfit I have. Very plain, very elegant..not at all like a ladies tux..but killer solid unique heavier yet flowy easy pack material....just dfferent tops and accessories, sparkly shoes and done; for a 2 formal night cruise...but the most I have ever spent on something seemingly so simple.

I'm not sick of it because I do not wear it at home..keep it for travel..every penny saved allows for travel ..and this thing always fits!!

Bought the darn thing..paid too much..I have made it more than worth it!:)

i ate at the palm last night wore kakhis and a pullover collared shirt. i am leaving on pride soon ans will not pack a tie or hard shoes.

this is 2011

The last time I checked, the Palm did not advertise in advance that certain nights were "elegent" and gav e you the description as to what is considered appropriate attire.

I hope you will have the courtesy and respect to take your bare neck and sneakers to the buffet on Elegent night.

Archived