Which transatlantic itinerary--does it matter which ship?

kymbakitty

For those of you that have studies these new S-class ship designs, are there any significant differences between any of these ships--specifically the Equinox vs. Eclipse?

I don't normally base our decision on ships...especially not this close in their newness (?) and design (could be an EXACT replica--not sure)...but there are two transatlantic cruises next spring...one that leaves Miami and 4/16 (Eclipse) and the other that leaves Fort Lauderdale on 5/2 (Equinox). They are both transatlantic cruises--the first one ends up in England and the latter ends in Rome.

Even though we've done two transatlantic cruises with similiar itineraries, we are drawn to these cruises because of the # of sea days.

I have a cabin on hold with one of them but I need to change the cabin to the other side of the ship (sun issue)....so I thought before I made that change, I would get some pros/cons of some of the other things that I may not be aware of (that if I had known earlier--it would have definitely made an impact on our decision).

For example, the cruise out of Miami (4/16) docks at Cherbourg, France, and ends in London. The cruise out of FLL (5/2) docks at Provence and Florence, Italy, but ends in Rome. (These are the ports we have not been to...any of the three.)

Is there a big difference flying home from London (to Sacramento, CA) vs flying home from Rome? Mind you, we've flown home before from both of these locations--but this is the first time in a very long time that we are leaving it in the hands of the cruiseline (not evening choosing "Choice" because the other option includes the night in Miami/FLL (not a big deal) and the transfers to the ship (bigger deal...although I suspect I could purchase them separately). But for some reason, I felt compelled to let Celebrity take care of our airfare and all the connections/transfers, albeit I realize we could get stuck at a layover for HOURS....but that could happen on our own schedule as well.

Thanks for all of your valuable input. I do realize that if my husband has a chance of any sun at all, he needs to be on the starboard side (which I am going to attempt to switch to today). The AFT balconies have sun...but from what I understand, other than the very top deck, they are all fully exposed (no privacy)...and I believe that the resort deck AFT category S2 would not give ANY sun whatsoever....not even the little bit that the sides would receive--specifically starboard.

Looking forward to hearing any feedback before I switch itineraries!!! Fortunately, the "sale" is on again so I still have a little time. I still may lose $50 to transfer cabins...for sure if I change ships, but it's a small price to pay if we have a better understanding of all of the little details that we may not know at this point in time.

Thanks!!!!!!!

Dawn

Thanks all!!!

I have sailed Solstice and Equinox, and will sail Eclipse in November. If you wait, I can tell you for sure if there's any differences ;) - kidding! In my experience, there are no real differences between the S-class ships. The main difference between Equinox and Eclipse is probably the removal of Silk Harvest and addition of Qsine as the third specialty restaurant. Everything else is all cosmetic: different color schemes, art, etc. I don't think you could go wrong with either. I can't speak to the differences in flight times, so hopefully someone else can help you out there. Good luck with your choice!

No real differences. Equinox has a much better itinerary IMHO compared to the Eclipse. Temps might also be better in May compared to April as well.

Yes, I suppose two weeks can make a difference...doesn't sound like much, but I totally agree.

So, it sounds as you believe the transatlantic itinerary that ends up in Rome (by way of Spain and Italy) is superior to the itinerary that ends up in London (by way of Portugal, Spain, and France)? I think that is what I understand you to say.

Either one has a port that we haven't been to....so it's really up in the air. I did see that the flight from Rome could be straight through to LAX and then a hop over to SMF...so that is a bonus. It didn't seem like that was an option out of Southampton...everything that came up on a search engine appeared to have 2 stops.

I'm just trying to look at anything/everything because I can't decide which itinerary and DH doesn't care so long as we are Starboard!

Thanks again....excellent points.

Dawn

Personally I would do the Equinox as it ends in Rome. Early in the year you have a much more realistic chance of getting better weather. Even though I live in the UK I would always prefer to go into the Med.

Only been on the Solstice and I love her and I am so confident that the Equinox and the Eclipse will be so similar then there is no concern.

Sue

Did the Equinox TA past April and it was wonderful. Only one rough day and couldn't dock in Punta Delgada. Weather was warm all the way. Found some of the stops to be a bit short, but there are always more cruises. Will be doing the Eclipse TA next April since most of the ports will be new to me. Don't think you will enjoy either.

I did see that the flight from Rome could be straight through to LAX and then a hop over to SMF...so that is a bonus. It didn't seem like that was an option out of Southampton...everything that came up on a search engine appeared to have 2 stops.

Dawn

There are quick coach or train connections from Southampton to the London airports. Heathrow or Gatwick should have non-stops to SF or LA.

Rich

Well, not sure what happened since Friday, but apparently we can no longer choose a cabin.

At least it only cost us $50 to cancel.

I wish I would have researched that a little better....but they won't even switch us to starboard on the cruise we are currently booked on (4/16/11). I thought since the same email/sale came through on the exact same bookings..this time until 8/3, that we wouldn't have a problem.

Oh well...better that I found out now instead of later. I'll watch for more specials.

Thanks all....it was a learning lesson...and pretty cheap if you think about it.

:)

Yes, I suppose two weeks can make a difference...doesn't sound like much, but I totally agree.

So, it sounds as you believe the transatlantic itinerary that ends up in Rome (by way of Spain and Italy) is superior to the itinerary that ends up in London (by way of Portugal, Spain, and France)? I think that is what I understand you to say.

Either one has a port that we haven't been to....so it's really up in the air. I did see that the flight from Rome could be straight through to LAX and then a hop over to SMF...so that is a bonus. It didn't seem like that was an option out of Southampton...everything that came up on a search engine appeared to have 2 stops.

I'm just trying to look at anything/everything because I can't decide which itinerary and DH doesn't care so long as we are Starboard!

Thanks again....excellent points.

Dawn

I'm sailing on the Equinox TA - so yes, I do think it is better! lol Do what you feel most comfortable with and I think in the end that will be the best decision.

Oh, and one more thing. If you do the Equinox TA, book the port side, because you will most likely be able see the coast from Gibraltar to Rome as we hit the various ports of call. I don't think the sun issue should be that bad.

At least it only cost us $50 to cancel.

I wish I would have researched that a little better....but they won't even switch us to starboard on the cruise we are currently booked on (4/16/11). I thought since the same email/sale came through on the exact same bookings..this time until 8/3, that we wouldn't have a problem.

Why were you not able to switch staterooms? It seems like there is ample availibility on that cruise. :confused:

What reason were you given?

Why were you not able to switch staterooms? It seems like there is ample availibility on that cruise. :confused:

What reason were you given?

I asked the same thing. And the strange thing is that there are only so many SS2's! It's not like they are all over the ship. Plus it didn't seem like there were too many left anyway.

Odd...very odd. I guess Celebrity is doing pretty good to walk away from $5k without the blink of an eye--and they let me pick the cabin on Friday! Same special too!

The TA kept on saying "it is such a good price, yadda, yadda, yadda." I told her it wasn't THAT great of a price...I've seen better. But she wouldn't let me change cabins so I had to cancel and I didn't rebook with the hopes of landing a starboard cabin.

Must not have been meant to be. I'll keep my eyes peeled for something else.

Thanks all!

Dawn

I just checked the S2's and there actually are indeed no starboard one's available - so Celebrity was actually correct. I had misinterpreted your prior post and thought they were just not allowing you to change - not that they were saying that category had no openings. There is one aft S2(2150) and several port S2's. There are plenty of C2's on the starboard side for about half the price of an S2 - including some with large balconies.

I just checked the S2's and there actually are indeed no starboard one's available - so Celebrity was actually correct. I had misinterpreted your prior post and thought they were just not allowing you to change - not that they were saying that category had no openings. There is one aft S2(2150) and several port S2's. There are plenty of C2's on the starboard side for about half the price of an S2 - including some with large balconies.

There was availability this a.m. She said they just were not letting anyone change their cabins and the "special" was still on--you just had to go guarantee. I was looking at two itineraries....the sailing on April 16th and the one on May 2. This a.m., there was still SS2's starboard. Not many though so I'm not surprised that there isn't any now.

We looked at a C2....but for 13/14 nights, we just need a little more elbow room.

Thanks all...I'll know better next time.

We just booked a C1 on the Silouette, October 2011, from Civitivecchia to Bayonne. These cabins are at the rear of the ship with somewhat extended balconies. This will be our first experience on a Solstice class ship. We have always enjoyed the Constellation and Summit and have some concerns about a larger ship (many more passengers) but decided to give it a try because of the itinerary. The reviews of this class of ship have been very positive so we are looking forward to the journey.

We just booked a C1 on the Silouette, October 2011, from Civitivecchia to Bayonne. These cabins are at the rear of the ship with somewhat extended balconies. This will be our first experience on a Solstice class ship. We have always enjoyed the Constellation and Summit and have some concerns about a larger ship (many more passengers) but decided to give it a try because of the itinerary. The reviews of this class of ship have been very positive so we are looking forward to the journey.

The aft cabins on the S-Class ship are not like the aft cabins in the M-Class. The balconies are normal, not extended. Go for the C2 angle balconies, which have the larger balconies.

You will not feel crowded on the S-Class ships.

Archived