booking your own excursions - western caribbean

cnie414

Hello Everyone!-

As a first time cruiser, I wanted to take some time to pick your brains for advice. My friend and I are cruising on the Legend Aug 29-Sept. 6 in the Western Caribbean. I have talked to some people who have been on this exact cruise and we are so excited! After browsing some of the posts I was hoping some of you veterans could give us some advice. We want to look into booking some of our own excursions and were wondering what the best way to go about this is. Here are some of the excursions we were interested in through carnival:

Grand Cayman

- sting rays, turtles and hell

we'd be flexible to do whatever, but would like to check out all 3

Cozumel

- either the "deluxe sail, snorkel and beach party" or "playa mia beach break deluxe"

- we have heard good reviews from these excursions, and are wondering if we should just "wing it" and find a beach on our own or cough up the extra money?

Isla Roatan

-tabyana beach or mahogany bay

we have heard good things about both places- whach do you prefer for the money?

Belize

-cave tubing

I have already seen some posts about cave-tubing.com and we plan on booking through them to save the $.

My friend and I are both women in our 20s and would prefer not having to hire too many cabs/etc. that are outside of Carnival's services. We want to be safe, but save money where possible. What are your recommendations? Any other recommendations for first timers? We are already planning on taking full advantage of the food services and free lemonade/water on the ship. We are also planning on bringing our own booze in rum runners flasks. Thanks for any help you can give us! :)

Hello Everyone!-

As a first time cruiser, I wanted to take some time to pick your brains for advice. My friend and I are cruising on the Legend Aug 29-Sept. 6 in the Western Caribbean. I have talked to some people who have been on this exact cruise and we are so excited! After browsing some of the posts I was hoping some of you veterans could give us some advice. We want to look into booking some of our own excursions and were wondering what the best way to go about this is. Here are some of the excursions we were interested in through carnival:

Grand Cayman

Cozumel

- either the "deluxe sail, snorkel and beach party" or "playa mia beach break deluxe"

- we have heard good reviews from these excursions, and are wondering if we should just "wing it" and find a beach on our own or cough up the extra money?

Isla Roatan

Belize

-cave tubing

I have already seen some posts about cave-tubing.com and we plan on booking through them to save the $.

My friend and I are both women in our 20s and would prefer not having to hire too many cabs/etc. that are outside of Carnival's services. We want to be safe, but save money where possible. What are your recommendations? Any other recommendations for first timers? We are already planning on taking full advantage of the food services and free lemonade/water on the ship. We are also planning on bringing our own booze in rum runners flasks. Thanks for any help you can give us! :)

I would recommend checking out the Ports of Call boards. We are doing the Western Caribbean for the first time in January. The research I did on those boards was great!

Hello Everyone!-

Grand Cayman

Cozumel

Isla Roatan

Belize

-cave tubing

Our first cruise last year in the Western I booked 1/2 through Carnival and 1/2 on our own

We did the following:

Grand Cayman: Parasailing and 7 mile Beach (Carnival)

Isla Roatan: Our own driver through Victor Bodden we donated supplies to a local school, ziplined and seen the monkeys at Victors house and snorkeled -- book independently - We loved it!! no worries at all

Belize - Cave Tubing and 4 wheeling through cavetubing.com - booked independently -- We loved it!! no worries at all

Cozumel- Isla Passion by Twister -- The private island is beautiful and everything is included even unlimited drinks!! (Carnival)

I traveled with my teen boys 16,15 & 13

Hello Everyone!-

Grand Cayman

Cozumel

Isla Roatan

Belize

-cave tubing

One bit of advice- Have you prepaid for your $70 pp tips? I paid mine when I booked the cruise. I was in line with others who had thought they had. They were with a group and one of them had made all the arrangements. Well one of the ladies had used her card to make hers and her friends bookings. So, on day 3 when the charges are billed if not prepaid she was charged for everyones!!! It was a shocker. I personally prefer to pay for as much as possible before hand. It seems to cost less that way. It's just a mind game for me!!

Check the boards here for ideas and suggestions, use trip advisor, and google to search excursions for each port.

Las year when we did Alaska I booked the whale watching in BC before leaving home and saved about $50 plus each and we were on the same boat with people from our cruise ship that had booked thru Celebrity -they were not happy when they found out how much they lost!

Same thing when we did the dog sledding on Mendenhall Glacier, booked online and save more than 50%!!!

You are doing the right things but a word of caution.

We would allow at least 90 minutes extra to make sure we are back before the ship sails. Pretty much all of our tours are private ones.

In other words if the ship sails at 6 pm would want to be back no later than 4 30. If the tour takes you a long way from the port would even allow more time.

Can save a lot of money and get a better tour booking it yourself but if you are late getting back the savings will go away.

Hello Everyone!-

Grand Cayman

Cozumel

Isla Roatan

Belize

-cave tubing

DW and I have used rum runners three times and never had a problem.

The deluxe sail and snorkel excursion in Cozumel is a lot of fun. You sail on a catamaran south down the coast, snorkel at a couple of spots over the reef, then go to their private beach for about 1 hour before sailing back. Open bar after snorkeling and at beach.

In Roatan we used Rony's Tours and went to Half Moon Bay. The guide stayed with us the whole time and the beach and snorkeling as outstanding. I would recommend using one of the tours and seeing the island. Mahogany Bay is a man-made beach right at the pier. It's nice, but it doesn't give you a feel for the island, IMO.

Hope this helps

First, read the ports of call boards for your ports for ideas on what to do, how to book, how to get there, etc.

Grand Cayman

We've done Sting Ray City with NativeWay Watersports and have loved that. We also jumped on a tour to Hell (no prior reservations) and that was okay. Nothing to really write home about. He dropped us off at 7-Mile Beach for a while.

Cozumel

Don't know anything about these...have booked Nachi Cocum twice and loved that; have rented jeeps and driven around the island; have gone to Paradise Beach and Chauknaab Park. (not sure about the spelling!)

Isla Roatan

we have heard good things about both places- whach do you prefer for the money? Have not done either of these...have gone to Fins & Flippers, Myan Princess, and Sante Wellness center

Belize

-cave tubing

I have already seen some posts about cave-tubing.com and we plan on booking through them to save the $. Have done cave tubing with XStream Cave tubing.

My friend and I are both women in our 20s and would prefer not having to hire too many cabs/etc. that are outside of Carnival's services. We want to be safe, but save money where possible. What are your recommendations? Check to see if there is a roll call for your cruise. See if anyone else is doing any of the same excursions and you can share a cab with them. All this is typically discussed on the roll calls and you can meet them at your roll call's meet and greet once on board. Then you can set up meeting places, etc. You do want to be careful in port; use common sense and your gut feeling about things. Maybe book some group tours so you'll be with a crowd.

Any other recommendations for first timers? We are already planning on taking full advantage of the food services and free lemonade/water on the ship. We are also planning on bringing our own booze in rum runners flasks. Thanks for any help you can give us! :)

Enjoy yourself...try everything, take lots of pictures.

Grand Cayman, I love NativeWay. I have used them twice and they are very professinal and still personable. It is a family owned and runned business. No crowds. You meet them in the common area right when after you exit security from the ship. I did the Rays, Reef and Rum Point excursion both times. They took us to Stingray City (a great experience) then snorkeling, then to Rum Point Beach which is like something out of the movies. It is just beautiful. Lunch was included in the price (I would recommend ordering the catch of the day). It cost $62.50. http://www.nativewaywatersports.com/

In cozumel I prefer Nachi Cocom. All inclusive, beautiful beach. The food is execellent and the drinks are as many and whatever you want. They have a nice pool and hot tub with swim up bar. They limit it to 100 people per day. I book thru Island Marketing. The price is $49. You put down $12 to reserve your spot and pay the difference in cash upon arrival. You do have to take a cab there but they are waiting when you exit the terminal and again when you leave Nachi Cocom. http://cozumelcruiseexcursions.com/CozumelBeachBreak.htm

I have not been to Belize but when I go in October I am going to do the Stingray Alley Snorkeling & Caye Caulker tour thru Coral Breeze.

http://www.coralbreezetours.com/

In Roatan I am ziplining with Roatan Canopy Zip Line. http://roatancruiseexcursions.com/RoatanCanopyZipline.html

Hope this helps. I felt very safe in Grand Cayman, and I have always felt safe in Cozumel.

Have fun!!! and please come back and let us know how your cruise was.

I've always been kind of conservative and booked our excursions through Carnival on our two previous cruises. I like not having to worry about anything, and to me that's worth some extra money.

On the other hand, I've been reading about a lot of people booking their own, and am starting to reconsider.

Is it just about saving money or are the trips you book yourself better than the Carnival offerings? I have to admit that a lot of our previous excursions were kind of like cattle drives, with big slow moving crowds of people.

I've always been kind of conservative and booked our excursions through Carnival on our two previous cruises. I like not having to worry about anything, and to me that's worth some extra money.

On the other hand, I've been reading about a lot of people booking their own, and am starting to reconsider.

Is it just about saving money or are the trips you book yourself better than the Carnival offerings? I have to admit that a lot of our previous excursions were kind of like cattle drives, with big slow moving crowds of people.

Some independents indeed offer a better tour, read and compare, just like you would cruiselines, to see what interests you the best. As you gain experience cruising, you will know what ports are better to do independent tours, and which ports you could be better off doing the cruiseline tour. E.G., in ports like Belize & Panama, I prefer ships' tours, while in Cayman or Cozumel, independent tours abound.

Grand Cayman, I love NativeWay. I have used them twice and they are very professinal and still personable. It is a family owned and runned business. No crowds. You meet them in the common area right when after you exit security from the ship. I did the Rays, Reef and Rum Point excursion both times. They took us to Stingray City (a great experience) then snorkeling, then to Rum Point Beach which is like something out of the movies. It is just beautiful. Lunch was included in the price (I would recommend ordering the catch of the day). It cost $62.50. http://www.nativewaywatersports.com/

In cozumel I prefer Nachi Cocom. All inclusive, beautiful beach. The food is execellent and the drinks are as many and whatever you want. They have a nice pool and hot tub with swim up bar. They limit it to 100 people per day. I book thru Island Marketing. The price is $49. You put down $12 to reserve your spot and pay the difference in cash upon arrival. You do have to take a cab there but they are waiting when you exit the terminal and again when you leave Nachi Cocom. http://cozumelcruiseexcursions.com/CozumelBeachBreak.htm

I have not been to Belize but when I go in October I am going to do the Stingray Alley Snorkeling & Caye Caulker tour thru Coral Breeze.

http://www.coralbreezetours.com/

In Roatan I am ziplining with Roatan Canopy Zip Line. http://roatancruiseexcursions.com/RoatanCanopyZipline.html

Hope this helps. I felt very safe in Grand Cayman, and I have always felt safe in Cozumel.

Have fun!!! and please come back and let us know how your cruise was.

I 2nd Nachi Cocom in Cozumel. Excellent price, beautiful beach, great drinks, wonderful food, and I wanted to spend the rest of my life there. Getting a Taxi at the pier is so easy, the prices are set. When you get ready to leave ask them to call you one and it'll be there in less than 5 minutes.

Hello Everyone!-

Grand Cayman

Cozumel

Isla Roatan

Belize

-cave tubing

We are on the same cruise. There are some of us from the roll call board that are planning on cave tubing and have a group rate at cave tubing dot com if you are interested. Here is the link to our roll call thread. :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1132224

See you on board! ;)

thanks for the great advice! we booked nachi cocum and the group cave tubing...checking out a couple different companies for grand cayman, still wondering about roatan...will continue with research :)

So excited - we are getting closer yippee! :D

Grand Cayman we are doing stingrays with Moby Dick and Roatan we are sticking to Mahogany Beach and Cozumel not quite sure. We did Mr. Sanchos last year. Were you able to find our roll call?

We used Nativeways from a recommendation here on CC and had a great time!

We did the Rum, Rays and Reef..but they also have the Rays and Island tour.

http://www.nativewaywatersports.com/tour_details.htm#Stingray%20and%20Island

We did this very tour 3 weeks ago. It was absolutely fantastic. AND we got lunch (I had catch of the day, per a suggestion from these boards) Catch of the day was $12.50 if just purchased from the beach restaurant. The ships tour does NOT include lunch. The Rum Point Beach is like heaven. I am looking into going just there for a week. Our tour also offered snorkeling at the reef( masks etc included) and an unexpected stop to see and hold a star fish. It was the best day of the entire cruise. There were only 12 of us on the boat. The ships tours looked like sardine cans.......packed!!!

We did this very tour 3 weeks ago. It was absolutely fantastic. AND we got lunch (I had catch of the day, per a suggestion from these boards) Catch of the day was $12.50 if just purchased from the beach restaurant. The ships tour does NOT include lunch. Our tour also offered snorkeling ( masks etc included) and an unexpected stop to see and hold a star fish. It was the best day of the entire cruise. There were only 12 of us on the boat. The ships tours looked like sardine cans.......packed!!!

I also had the catch of the day for lunch there at Rum Point! How was that for lunchtime scenery? Rum Point is amazing!

The folks at Nativeways did a good job for us too and we'd use them again for sure. Loved the personalized service and yep, no cattle car.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it as much as we did :)

In 2008 and 2010 we went to UVAS Resort in Cozumel. http://www.playauvas.com/ It was awesome. Carmen and Eduardo treated us very well. Guided snorkeling trip includes equipment, all the drinks you can handle and lunch for $35.00. Other packages are available.

In 2008 we went cave tubing with Yhony. http://www.cave-tubing.com/ Our guide was Richard. He is super. Ask for him to be your guide if you can. Cost was $45.00.

Enjoy!

I went to the Western Caribbean two years ago on the Carnival Legend and thanks to all the great info here on Cruise Critic, I booked all the excursions myself!

I was sure to tell any of them I booked with that I read about them on Cruise Critic and if they wanted a favorable review, they better take good care of us!! :D

I did Rays, Reef and Rum with Nativeway and it was very good, I booked the dolphin discovery in Cozumel and Cave Tubing and zip lining with Major Tom in Belize. The cave tubing one got a little exciting when there was a parade blocking the ONLY major road in Belize and made getting back to the ship by about 15 minutes before the last tender left! :eek: in Major Tom's defense, he was on the phone about every 30 seconds with the driver "helping" to get us back!

Hello Everyone!-

Grand Cayman

Cozumel

Isla Roatan

Belize

-cave tubing

Hey!! Here are my 2 cents on these ports!!

Grand Cayman. Try Moby Dick tours. We used them our last visit to GC & they were GREAT!! Try to get a tour out first thing in the morning to the stingray sandbar. They are hungry & their will be very few people there.

Cozumel...Been there MANY times & will be going back again in Sept. LOVE IT!! My favorite part of Coz is the east side of the island. Awesome beaches, nice beach bars & VERY FEW PEOPLE!!! You can hire a taxi for the day & they will take you wherever you want to go. I think we paid $100 for 4 of us for 4-5 hours. Don't miss Carlos & Charlies, either!!

Roatan...My FAVORITE island, by far!! Tabyana Beach is beautiful & very good place to snorkel. They have several places to Zipline on the island.

Belize...Cave tubing is a must. We've done it through private tour operators both times we've done it. Reggie the first time & can't recall who the last time. Last year we took a snorkeling excursion to Spanish Key. Nice little island, very nice beach a short walk from where they let you off the boat.

Our Rum runners have passed through EVERY time we've used them. Split them up into separate suitcases to make sure.

If you have any questions, i'll try to answer what i can.

You will have a BLAST!!! And in no time, you'll be on you 12th cruise, like me!! :D

great to hear about nativeway! i was going to book them based on advice but was wondering if we'd have a chance to snorkel on the tour since i've never been! and i'd LOVE to hold a starfish. i think we will book with them for sure!

Our first cruise last year in the Western I booked 1/2 through Carnival and 1/2 on our own

We did the following:

Grand Cayman: Parasailing and 7 mile Beach (Carnival)

Isla Roatan: Our own driver through Victor Bodden we donated supplies to a local school, ziplined and seen the monkeys at Victors house and snorkeled -- book independently - We loved it!! no worries at all

Belize - Cave Tubing and 4 wheeling through cavetubing.com - booked independently -- We loved it!! no worries at all

Cozumel- Isla Passion by Twister -- The private island is beautiful and everything is included even unlimited drinks!! (Carnival)

I traveled with my teen boys 16,15 & 13

Just curious. . .what supplies did you donate to the school? My husband and I are doing this on the September 4 Dream sailing and I would just like to get some additional ideas. Thanks.

I find that booking our own gives us a better, cheaper and less crowded tour. We do research these tour guides on the port of call pages to make sure we are dealing with reliable people.

I do not have the patience to wait for 30 slow moving people to get off a bus while sightseeing.

Loading and unloading 10 person vans works a lot better.

Archived