Do men really hate wearing suits?

elena7seas

Prior to retirement, I wore a suit almost every day for about 50 years. Also, during that time I probably wore a tux about 200 times. As a result, I have no problem wearing either of the aforesaid. However, when we became permanent Floridians, I donated all of my 45 suits to Goodwill. I presently own 3 tuxedoes=skinny, fat and intermediate; and, we always do black tie on the formal nights.

As a hot blooded male, I can honestly say a suit is hot. I do not care how cool the room, by the time I put on everything associated with a suit, I am hot. I have worn suits off and on for years, but prefer to avoid them if possible. Oh and before you ask, yes I have tried all the suits advertized as cool or light weight, but they are not. When you put on three or four layer of cloth, your body heat cannot escape. It does not help that I live in central Texas and it's currently 102 F outside and about 80% humidity.

I prefer to wear an unlined Sport Coat. I have a couple of coarse silk jackets that I like to wear and think I look good in them. I can mix and match up almost anything to one of the jackets. I do like to dress up, but for me a suit is just hot in most situations. As far as ties, I can take or leave them. I prefer an open coller, but wear ties as the event requires.

We did an Alaska Cruise a while back. It was great, I loved the cool weather. A long sleeve shirt was perfect most of the time. When we toured Hubbard Glacier, I finally put on a sweater for part of the day.

Edited by RCMarr

PAULNJILL, and others:

We would be happy to be in your company in any dining venue, especially the MDR!! Great attitude from you as well as several others!

Our feelings exactly :-)

Safe sails and happy times always!!

Edited by UANDME4EVER

I can tell you my personal take on it - I have to wear a suit and tie to work every day, and while I don't mind the suit, the tie is just an uncomfortable knot around my neck. I usually loosen it once I'm through the door. Also, a tie is an invitation to a dry cleaning bill (one advantage to tuxes, bowties don't fall into your soup!). It's boiling hot this summer in NY, and while my female colleagues get to wear summer work clothes, including short/sleeveless, sandals, etc., the men have to wear the exact same clothes we wear in January. For me at least, a tux is a variation on the routine.

Women, on the other hand, don't wear cocktail dresses, gowns, etc. on a daily basis - unless they have an amazingly glamorous job! ;)

My two cents...

You hit the nail on the head. Women wear formal clothing that is so lightweight. Usually it is a skirt of some kind and can be sleeveless as well. No matter how lightweight a man's suit is, there is still the shirt, jacket, and pants. I hear people wonder why someone would be wearing a windbreaker when it is 90 plus degrees. But nobody thinks twice about men wearing heavy suit jackets. I do bring the suit on our Princess cruises, but when we sailed Norwegian, I left it home. I may leave it home on our Summit cruise as we are flying and I want to pack as light as possible. I'll just skip formal night and hit the buffet.

You hit the nail on the head. Women wear formal clothing that is so lightweight. Usually it is a skirt of some kind and can be sleeveless as well. No matter how lightweight a man's suit is, there is still the shirt, jacket, and pants. I hear people wonder why someone would be wearing a windbreaker when it is 90 plus degrees. But nobody thinks twice about men wearing heavy suit jackets. I do bring the suit on our Princess cruises, but when we sailed Norwegian, I left it home. I may leave it home on our Summit cruise as we are flying and I want to pack as light as possible. I'll just skip formal night and hit the buffet.

We men are tough!!!!!!

To heck with comfort. It is more important ot look good.:rolleyes:

I have no desire to wear a suit while on vacation. Frankly I'd rather not wear a sport jacket either. I'd prefer that while on the vacation I worked for and paid for that I be allowed to be comfortable and enjoy the time. I also object to the packing requirement for a couple of hours wear.

Having said that I will rent a tux for the formal nights and suffer in silence (mostly).

I have no desire to wear a suit while on vacation. Frankly I'd rather not wear a sport jacket either. I'd prefer that while on the vacation I worked for and paid for that I be allowed to be comfortable and enjoy the time. I also object to the packing requirement for a couple of hours wear.

Having said that I will rent a tux for the formal nights and suffer in silence (mostly).

I think this post is very typical. Many men, although they would rather NOT, do comply.

For women, it's another story. We like to dress up.

As some have mentioned, our "dress-up" clothing can be lightweight and more comfortable. We also have jewellery, make-up and hairdos that can enhance an outfit.

Edited by Can'tstopcruising

I think this post is very typical. Many men' date=' although they would rather NOT, do comply.

As some have mentioned, our "dress-up" clothing can be lightweight and more comfortable. We also have jewellery, make-up and hairdos that can enhance an outfit.[/quote']

I have cruised with Celebrity about 10 times. I love dressing up and my DH is happy to wear his Tux for me on formal nights. Whatever shape/size or age a man is he always looks most distinguished when dressed up in Dinner Jacket/Tux. Long they may be seen on Formal Nights on Celebrity Cruises.

I'm sorry if some gentlemen are unhappy/uncomfortable about wearing them but put them on and see just how great you all look.:):):)

I don't mind wearing a suit at all. What I dislike is having to pack all the things I will need only once. Suit, tie, dress belt, dress shoes, dress socks, nice watch.

Everything I pack I like to use multiple times during the cruise, well except for obvious exceptions. :D

I think this post is very typical. Many men' date=' although they would rather NOT, do comply.

As some have mentioned, our "dress-up" clothing can be lightweight and more comfortable. We also have jewellery, make-up and hairdos that can enhance an outfit.[/quote']

I was on one cruise where the women were the ones who weren't dressed up. The men were all in suits but the women were in slacks and a blouse, not even a fancy blouse. They looked like the were going shopping. I really felt out of place in a long evening gown. BTW this was a HAL cruise.

Edited by Eileen G

I just have to get into this discussion...I am an old lady...and I remember when I did not travel without hat and gloves...In my time a navy blazer and tan or gray slacks was considered very acceptable for a man. Now, there is your "sports" coat and slacks and you are dressed to go anywhere.

I'm slightly confused on the dress code. I've sailed Carnival about 8 times & thought Celebrity dress code was very similar. According to the Celebrity website is the following quote..........

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours. Additionally, guests are asked to follow the "Smart Casual and Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

I must admit, I've always been a short nut, especially in warm weather & on vacations. I just enjoy wearing shorts. (The statement talking about shorts & flip flops are not allowed in the evening.) Are they talking about the entire ship or just the dining room? On Carnival, shorts are OK anyplace except the dining room & are widely accepted. Is this not the case with Celebrity?

I'm presently having regrets about booking our cruise with Celebrity...

I'm ready to cancel & go back to Carnival.

I'm not attempting to dog people that enjoy this. This is just not our cup of tea.

Celebrity appears too much formal for what we enjoy. We don't really want to get dressed every afternoon to walk aroung the ship. Hopefully, I'm wrong. I was looking forward to our cruise.

thanks,

I don't have any objection to wearing a suit, I just prefer to wear a tux on formal nights.

My wife and I love the formal nights aboard the ships we have sailed. It is great fun to get dolled up in our finery and watch our fellow passengers parade along the decks. It makes the evening so magical.

Our society has become so casual that is very special to have a chance to throw on our best duds and soak up these glamorous nights aboard ships.

Jonathan

When appropriate, I prefer a sport coat and slacks over a suit. I feel I have more options for expressing my individual style by mixing and matching different separates and shoes. Suits, with the exception of the tie, look cookie-cutter to me. I really don't want to look like the next guy.

When the situation dictates that I should wear a suit, of which I only own two, I make sure they fit impeccably and are constructed of the best materials. I buy my suits at the GW or TS in the rich part of town and spend a lot having them tailored. My last suit cost the original owner $2200.00, but only cost me a total of $400.00 even after tailoring. I guess he gained weight right after buying it :eek:, the tags were still in the pocket.

I also have a tux with two jackets. This cruise I will be bringing my tails, top hat and cane, just because I can (plus, we're driving to the port, not flying).

I believe dressing well shows respect for others, this is what my grandfather told me years ago.

I also dress well in an attempt to approach the same league as my beautiful wife. I'm not going to be the "what the hell was SHE thinking" look of a husband. This way when I dress up I'm the "he must have money" husband . . . :). (Not, but fake it till you make it they say).

Yes, we do believe those that choose to dress down reduce the overall experience. How much fun would a Halloween party be if no one arrived in costume because it was too much trouble?

Edited by snydermann
spelling

[quote=elena7seas;25453384

I don't want to debate anything...I'd just like to hear why some men are objecting to wearing suits?

It is the Caribbean...it is hot out!

Putting on a dress shirt, then another thick layer of a blazer or jacket is crazy in that climate.

Women can get away with thin, gauzy, lightweight outfits, but men are stuck in multiple layers. It is not enjoyable. Why would anyone "want" to spend their vacation uncomfortable and hot?

Mike

for all the men who are complaining about having to wear a suit for formal nights and who think it's such a burden because they're hot, stiff, uncomfortable etc."try walking a mile in the mocassins of women" bfore you complain. Let's see even in south florida with 90% humidity and 95 degree temps, women have to wear panty hose, bras, tummy tighteners etc. Do you think that's comfortable??? For formal nights, women have to wear the most uncomfortable undergarments (ask your wife or significant other for a look as they dress) and their gowns are also heavy and uncomfortable. See what women have to go through to hold up strapless/backless gowns. Sometimes, you just have to suck it up and do what you have to do. Not meaning to sound harsh but as others in this thread have said, if wearing a suit for 2 nights is such a burden, either eat in the buffet or choose a less formal cruise line. Again men, sorry to disparage you but if men had to bear babies, we all know what the population would be---

for all the men who are complaining about having to wear a suit for formal nights and who think it's such a burden because they're hot, stiff, uncomfortable etc."try walking a mile in the mocassins of women" bfore you complain. Let's see even in south florida with 90% humidity and 95 degree temps, women have to wear panty hose, bras, tummy tighteners etc. Do you think that's comfortable??? For formal nights, women have to wear the most uncomfortable undergarments (ask your wife or significant other for a look as they dress) and their gowns are also heavy and uncomfortable. See what women have to go through to hold up strapless/backless gowns. Sometimes, you just have to suck it up and do what you have to do. Not meaning to sound harsh but as others in this thread have said, if wearing a suit for 2 nights is such a burden, either eat in the buffet or choose a less formal cruise line. Again men, sorry to disparage you but if men had to bear babies, we all know what the population would be---

If I were a woman - the population would be ZERO. :D

for all the men who are complaining about having to wear a suit for formal nights and who think it's such a burden because they're hot, stiff, uncomfortable etc."try walking a mile in the mocassins of women" bfore you complain. Let's see even in south florida with 90% humidity and 95 degree temps, women have to wear panty hose, bras, tummy tighteners etc.

Have to wear it??? There are plenty of women who chose not to wear all that stuff.

Do you think that's comfortable??? For formal nights, women have to wear the most uncomfortable undergarments (ask your wife or significant other for a look as they dress) and their gowns are also heavy and uncomfortable. Not what my wife wears, and she looks great.

See what women have to go through to hold up strapless/backless gowns.

If they are so much trouble to wear why buy them. there are other ways to dress formal.

Sometimes, you just have to suck it up and do what you have to do. Not meaning to sound harsh but as others in this thread have said, if wearing a suit for 2 nights is such a burden, either eat in the buffet or choose a less formal cruise line. Again men, sorry to disparage you but if men had to bear babies, we all know what the population would be---

That is funny:D

If formal nights are so horrible for women why have them?

I'm willing to sacrifice my beloved formal night for the comfort of my wife.

Edited by TomBeckCruise

Except for the heels and makeup, I wish I could wear a dress. It takes my wife all of 5 minutes to slip on her outfit. At best it weighs all of eight ounces and her few undergarments look like they weigh nothing. A dress looks pretty comfy and well ventilated to me. I could almost ball up her whole outfit and fit it in my shoe. Takes the better part of a suitcase to fit two of my suits. :p

I'll wear a suit and tie (or even an odd jacket and tie) any chance I get.

I'll often be the only man wearing one and that's fine by me.

I can even leave the house without wearing a baseball cap!

I save the t-shirt for cleaning out the garage.

..and I'll bet you have no problem getting your choice of dates either..:D

Except for the heels and makeup, I wish I could wear a dress. It takes my wife all of 5 minutes to slip on her outfit. At best it weighs all of eight ounces and her few undergarments look like they weigh nothing. A dress looks pretty comfy and well ventilated to me. I could almost ball up her whole outfit and fit it in my shoe. Takes the better part of a suitcase to fit two of my suits. :p

whine whine whine (I am just playing with you)..:D

try strapping yourself into a corset...or navagate down stairs in stellettos.. trouble - yeah ..pain in the butt - you bet. But seeing my husbands big doe eyes when he sees me...priceless.

whine whine whine (I am just playing with you)..:D

try strapping yourself into a corset...or navagate down stairs in stellettos.. trouble - yeah ..pain in the butt - you bet.

How do you know I haven't? :p:p Try finding size 13 stellettos sometime! (lol).

I see from your counter you're leaving on your cruise in a day and a half! Shouldn't you be packing that corset and stellettos instead of teasing me!!??:p

Have a great trip!

"try walking a mile in the mocassins of women" bfore you complain. Let's see even in south florida with 90% humidity and 95 degree temps, women have to wear panty hose, bras, tummy tighteners etc. Do you think that's comfortable??? For formal nights, women have to wear the most uncomfortable undergarments (ask your wife or significant other for a look as they dress) and their gowns are also heavy and uncomfortable.

Thankfully my outfits are more like snydermann's wife. I love getting dolled up and feel bad my hubby has to wear a heavy suit. Now the heels... yep, they're a bit of a pain but if hubby can wear that heavy suit for me I can wear the heels for him. :p

Only problem is most women don't wear pantyhose anymore and many don't bother to wear the appropriate undergarments, but they still expect "their man" to wear the tie and suit.

I understand how this can be constued as a "double standard". Acceptable "formal wear" for women has evolved more quickly than it has for men. While the tux is no longer the norm, the suit really isn't much less onerous than the tux. The women who wear a cocktail dress with a dressy sandal, no pantyhose and nothing amazingly fancy with their hair; are a whole lot less complicated than when the norm was floor-length gowns, hose, pumps, and half of the afternoon in the hair salon (now do ships even still have hair salons? I honestly don't know!)

Even with the pantyhose, and some extra makeup and jewlry -- I can get dressed more quickly than my DH on formal nights. And my dress and dress shoes take up a lot less space than his formal night attire (suit and dress shoes).

Edited by Onessa