Do men really hate wearing suits?

elena7seas

I'll chime in.....

My DH is 6'4" and works out daily. He is a trim "big guy". His coat size is a 50 extra long. Between the suit coat, suit pants, dress shirts, ties, belt, fancy socks and SIZE 13 dress shoes, his suitcase is then HALF FULL with clothes he'll wear for just a few hours (and that is the part he hates!) :o

My husband is the same. 6'1", size 13 feet, big guy. It is a pain to lug a full suit, dress shoes, two suits, ties, etc., especially in this current market of being overcharged for checked luggage. So now we choose wisely. We will bring the suit for the trip to the Oasis, but when we travel to Europe, we will skip formal nights. Simple as that. :)

Just curious - but if you don't own a suit what do you wear to a funeral?

Blue blazer. Gray slacks. White shirt. Blue tie. Black belt. Black shoes.

My one and only marryin' and buryin' outfit. My job doesn't require a suit, the places I frequent don't require a suit, so I see no need to spend a bunch of money on one. As others have said, the blazer and slacks are much more versatile, and have been enough so for my needs. If it isn't dressy enough for someplace, such as formal night, then I don't go, and we'll eat elsewhere. Luckily my DW feels the same way: if her dresses aren't sufficiently glamorous for one place, she'd rather go to another where they are.

Hi,

I value dressing up for the level of respect it shows for the event itself, and for the people attending the event. Don't flame me, that's just the way my parents raised me. I still dress for church and often am the only one there wearing a suit. I know I'm of another era....

Hence I've always worn suits to things and still at my "advanced" age (50s) enjoy wearing suits. Packing is not an issue..., my 22" carry-on has a compartment in the lid specially made for a suit.

Bridge Maven, you must live in a unique area of the country. In the region I live attitudes/practices are much more casual about funerals. It's been years since I've seen the majority of folk wearing dark clothes to funerals, let alone suits.

Count me among the "suits."

CM

Thank you Celebrity Man for responding to my question. I live in the Northeast but this might just be indicative of the ones my husband I have attended recently and not necessarily typical for the area.

I'm probably not the norm on this subject but give me shorts or a swimsuit on a Carribean cruise. I don't pack a suit & expecially don't pack a tux.

If necessary, I might pack dress slacks. Yet, I do my best not to wear them.

Hey.......this is a warm weather vacation. Let's keep it that way.....

I'm lucky, my wife feels the same way.... Shorts or a sun dress......

Who wants to pack dress clothes in a suitcase for a cruise?

OK guys......Am I the only one that feels this way?

No, you are not the only one - I concur wholeheartedly. I have to dress up for work and have no desire to do so on vacation. I'm fond of saying that the only thing worse than a suit, is a suit and tie.

Edited by Merring

We often say to each other that we can't understand why some people give themselves the stress of having to dress up (or not dress up and get glared at' date=' spoken to, etc.) if they hate it so much...just pick a cruise line without a formal dress code!

DH loves wearing his tux, perhaps more because he paid a mint for it and is deep down a cheapskate, and therefore feels he's getting more of his money's worth with each passing formal event. Regardless, other than the appearance, the difference between a sport coat and slacks versus a suit jacket and suit trousers is nil, unless you ditch the tie.[/quote']

Believe it or not, people choose Celebrity for reasons OTHER than the formal dress code, maybe despite it. We have no intention of chosing another cruise line. If Celebrity changed the dress code in any way, would you go with another line that has the formal nights? DH will grudgingly pack a sport coat and dress slacks, but he hates every minute of the formal nights. We tried the buffet on one formal night on the Eclipse, and it was miniscule. Pizza, pasta, sushi, and salads. So, he will be toting his sport coat and slacks on the next one. He would never buy a suit for a cruise because it would be sitting in the closet at home.

thecruiser7....I am right there with you. I put in 10-12 hour days-usually dressed in suits/jackets/ties. The absolute last thing I want to pack on a warm Caribbean vacation-cruise or resort-is a suit/dress shirt/ etc. Just do not want to do it.

Thankfully, my DW is not one of those people who makes it her goal to convince me that I would really be more comfortable in a suit yata yata yata or that we should do it because everyone else is. She just wants us to relax, spend some time together, catch up on some personal reading, and generally watch the world go by. She was actually the one who wanted to deep six the formal wear in favour or casual in the middle of a 10 day cruise about six years ago. There is really no mystery to this, it is quite straightforward. We like X and one or two other cruise lines for a number of reasons. Formal dinners in the MDR is not one of them....and besides we do not find the food on formal night anything special-especially the lobster that is normally served overcooked and tough.

Edited by iancal

There appear to be more than the regular number of dress code threads at the moment, and, as usual, some of them are a little heated. One of the issues that comes up regularly has me wondering....

Why do some men hate wearing suits? Why would men rather wear sports jackets than suit jackets?

My husband tells me that his suits are as comfortable as a sports jacket and slacks. But he says he hates wearing a tie, and if given a chance, will wear a thin silk crewneck sweater/tee with his suit. (He looks very smart in this). There is no question that he looks "more dressed up" in the suit, even sans tie, than in the sports jacket.

I am honestly quite perplexed as to why so many of the recent cruisers who are new to Celebrity object to wearing suits? (or why their SO's are objecting on their behalf).

A suit jacket and matching slacks don't weigh more than a sports jacket and slacks. They don't take up any more room in the suitcase. A smart casual shirt can be worn as easily with suit trousers as with dress slacks (for double-duty on smart casual evenings).

I don't want to debate anything...I'd just like to hear why some men are objecting to wearing suits?

I do not want to wear any kind of Jacket, I have to dress like that for work. I see no reason to have to dress up on vacation.

What I hear most often is some variation of "I wear a jacket and tie to work and I don't want to do it on vacation".

and that is perfectly fine and understandable! But don't expect the cruiseline to change their procedures because you don't like wearing those things. Either eat in another venue on-board or choose another vacation option.

Because suits are stupid and that was the reason I moved my business to Oceania and Azamara.Why am I going to have cruise line tell me that I need to dress for formal night when I am a paying customer- it should be formal optional!Oceania is booked solid-guess that should an indicator of what customers want!

No...suits are not "stupid". That is your opinion. I for one, enjoy the option of dressing up for an elegant evening with friends. It is your choice to eat in the MDR or not. NO ONE said you have to dress up. Just respect those of us who enjoy the experience and eat somewhere else. You need to get a grip!

See, I'm not really sure why folks would choose a vacation venue that doesn't suit their dress requirements!

Amen. Welcome to American society these days. No one wants to be inconvenienced in anyway and they feel they are entitled to have it "there way". Life isn't Burger King folks - you can't have everything your way!

No...suits are not "stupid". That is your opinion. I for one, enjoy the option of dressing up for an elegant evening with friends. It is your choice to eat in the MDR or not. NO ONE said you have to dress up. Just respect those of us who enjoy the experience and eat somewhere else. You need to get a grip!

Can you please explain how my coming into the MDR wearing slacks a shirt and a sports jacket diminish's your experience? :confused:

Amen. Welcome to American society these days. No one wants to be inconvenienced in anyway and they feel they are entitled to have it "there way". Life isn't Burger King folks - you can't have everything your way!

Sorry but that's one of the reasons I CHOOSE to cruise Celebrity, because it ISN'T Burger King.

How does another passenger's clothes inconvenice you in any shape, manner or form?

I understand the argument about smoking because it's a health issue as well as an assult to other person's olfactory senses. But clothing?

And flclsax I respectfully disagree - this is American and yes you CAN have everything you want (assuming you can pay for it!)

IMHO for men who wear suits a lot at work they would NOT want to wear them on relaxing vacations like cruises. For me it's more the idea of "having to" dress a certain way but I have changed my mind and will bring one suit and tie and wear it on the "Formal" nights and w/o a tie on the Semi-Formal" nights.

IMHO for men who wear suits a lot at work they would NOT want to wear them on relaxing vacations like cruises. For me it's more the idea of "having to" dress a certain way but I have changed my mind and will bring one suit and tie and wear it on the "Formal" nights and w/o a tie on the Semi-Formal" nights.

Celebrity does not have semi-formal nights, only casual and formal. It is unlikely that you will see men with jackets on casual nights unless they are cold.

I'm of the opinion that if a guy wants to be noticed (it's the male peacock that has the plumage), nothing attracts more attention, than being well dressed. And I find if I'm well dressed, I feel great, despite the tight collar and tie.

Well said, buddy.

I sometimes think that men don't like to wear suits on a cruise because we are told that we have to wear suits on a cruise.....lol.

For me, I wear suits every day to work and to wear a suit on vacation kinda reminds me of being at work. I am on vacation already. I wish the cruise lines would allow jeans and a jacket at dinner (smart casual).

Finally, after a day of sun, who wants to be all wrapped up in a suit. It is very uncomfortable especially if you have a sunburn.

Edited by kcordova

I'll chime in.....

My DH is 6'4" and works out daily. He is a trim "big guy". His coat size is a 50 extra long. Between the suit coat, suit pants, dress shirts, ties, belt, fancy socks and SIZE 13 dress shoes, his suitcase is then HALF FULL with clothes he'll wear for just a few hours (and that is the part he hates!) :o

Maybe you are getting too carried away. You still have to dress every night so you still need slacks, shirts, socks, belt and shoes on those nights. Suit coat is same as sport jacket as far as space is concerned. Please don't tell me your DH would just wear the same clothes on formal nights as he does every other night.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chive viewpost.gif

What I hear most often is some variation of "I wear a jacket and tie to work and I don't want to do it on vacation".

and that is perfectly fine and understandable! But don't expect the cruiseline to change their procedures because you don't like wearing those things. Either eat in another venue on-board or choose another vacation option.

I certainly hope that your comments were not directed at me.

No tux. No suit. No jacket. I am a rebel. I don't even shave. Maybe on formal nights.

I agree, no suits, no jackets! Shaving, why bother. Heck, even washing your hands is a burden. And those serving utensils at the buffet, they just take more time than using your hands. I agree, no rules, no decoram. My motto is 'Laissez Faire'. Even if there are rules or social customs, who cares. I only follow the rules/customs I like. Of course I would prefer that everyone else also follow the rules/customs I like. :)

Edited by shipshape sam

I actually do NOT want to be noticed so there is no need for me to dress up like a peacock. I just want to relax, enjoy the sun, and enjoy being on vacation. I do not really care what others are doing. It is just so nice to be away from phones, computers, customers and of course the Blackberry. And I get to read what I want to read instead of what I need to read for work.

I actually do NOT want to be noticed so there is no need for me to dress up like a peacock. I just want to relax, enjoy the sun, and enjoy being on vacation. I do not really care what others are doing. It is just so nice to be away from phones, computers, customers and of course the Blackberry. And I get to read what I want to read instead of what I need to read for work.

I am definitely with you on the NO phones/computers/Blackberries. I also avoid TV and newspapers on ship. My wife will tell me a couple of times during cruise that the kids (adult kids) are doing okay. :)