Transport Rip Off

mauimacho

That is TERRIBLE!

I had concerns about Jamie (World Next Door) when he failed to address my email questions, and then when the sister of a board regular wasn't pleased with her tour with him, I decided to look elsewhere!!!!

I'm just glad you were able to work out an alternative....

Nina

• 1 month later...

You have jogged my memory. My sister was the one who used Jamie on my recommendation for a transfer with sightseeing between Valpariso and Santiago. They had a shocking day with a very dangerous car, no airconditioning etc. She did write to Jamie and he was going to refund her but I haven't followed that up. I must ask her and see if she has received it. This was way back in January.

Jennie

• 3 weeks later...

Just returned from my March 14th cruise of SA. Jamie was hired for our tour to Putero Montt, Puerto Arenas & Frutillar. We were a party of 6 people. We were met without any problems. Our English speaking guide was wonderful and we had a great day. Sorry some people had a bad experience with his arrangements but we did not and I would recommend his service.

Joanne

Just to update everyone I have been home for 2 weeks and no refund yet.

I have travelled myself extensively and have had refunds sent to me as well. Not always at a fast pace as the companies are in their high seasons. Try getting a speedy reply from a major credit card company when they owe you.

Refunds have been sent now well over a month yet no one has made an effort to update their notations.

I found it interesting that when the car never met in Santiago for a pick-up that I never received a phone call to ask where the car was. I do continualy mention that I am not a tour operator but rather a good-will coordinator. I run a cafe and calling station and assist all crewmembers from all ships visiting Chile contact family and loved ones. I offer this tour service in hopes to help everyone here on the chat boards find their visit to Chile a bit more pleasant with better than on the street tour operators or guides.

However, let me add this, everyone here is searching for an alternative to the standard high costed tours, offered by companies who are cutting corners. Not (I hope) intentially trying to pull a fast one on you. So life happens, cars break down, people sleep in and as such, your hopes to save a bit of cash may occassionally be reversed on you. This is part of travel.

I always try to offer as much local information to asist in you helping yourself and saving a few dollars. I will always offer this service, many people look forward to the information. It has not been my intention to make a business of being a tour operator. More of a friend you can contact if travelling this way for last minute tips and contacts.

I know I have helped many people here who most likely went back to work when they got home and have not had any more free time to focus to the boards. Should anyone need some help or have further comments please click on my profile and email away. I'm always here working with ships in Chile 24/7.

It's been a fun summer !

To finish up I did receive the refund. I was on a land trip for a few weeks and not keeping up with the board. BTW on the day in question I did try to call but the number I had was wrong and no one at the hotel could get the correct number.

I also believe that my sister received her refund from Jamie just after Easter.

I know it was not Jamie's fault but I do know that they didn't enjoy their uncomfortable transfer that day from Valpariso to the airport.

Jennie

We had a great experience with Jamie's World Next Door service from Valparaiso to Santiago. His driver and guide picked us up at customs on April 14th in a new van for the three of us. Excellent driver and a young American tour guide showed us Valpo and Vina del Mar, we stopped for lunch, an ATM and T-shirt vendors at our request, and even stopped in a little town's chocolate factory when they heard we liked chocolate.

I'm sorry some people had problems, but it sounds as if Jamie did resolve them. Just wanted to add our positive experience.

• 2 weeks later...

We decided on "Pancho" due to the negative things we had heard about Jamie on the board.

Well, lo and behold, there we were at the Valparaiso port terminal with all our luggage at the appointed time, and no Pancho! After waiting and searching for 30 minutes, we then had to madly scramble for alternative transport at a transportation desk inside the terminal. Fortunately we were able to join a lovely couple (coincidentally from the HAL Cruise Critic board) in a van and had a good time, although we ended up having lunch (that we didn't really need or want) at a winery and didn't end up seeing any of Santiago, which we had planned to do with Pancho. Oh well...

In Pancho's defense, he later told me that his mother had been in an accident and was very apologetic about it.

Nina

In Chile there are good travel agencies,

safe people in charge and with insurance for tourists,

I travel to Chile 4 times for year,

the first visits to Chile spend much money in transportation

the person of the reception ,of the foot a car for which it was always to the right hour outside my hotel

but late I knowledge that the person of the hotel, received comicion by each trip, and to make but my trip expensive

there are many particular people who make trips

los email _ Yahoo , Hotmail , 123mail are they are particular gratuitous post office of people

I do not say that they give a service badly

but they not are the established agencies

but it is little safe to have a happy trip

to my to seem the best thing is to take tour or to tranfer with a company in direct form

As I have stated on other threads, we were well pleased with the package tour from Valparaiso to Santiago arranged by SouthStarTours. We just got back last week.

George and Cecilia, both good English speakers and wonderful people, picked up my friend and me at the pier on time, took us for a great tour of Valparaiso and Vina del Mar and lunch and then on to Santiago. Next day they picked us up again at the hotel and had another fun day, with winery, until they dropped us off at the airport. I highly recommend them.

love

joan

Archived