1st timers-pls give advice about best cruise for us.

buffkids

I warn you – this is VERY long, but I’m sincerely looking for some advice for a first-time cruise choice.

My husband and I won a “free” cruise on NCL, and we’re looking for some advice about which cruise to take. We have never been on a cruise before – and honestly likely would never have considered a cruise vacation if it wasn’t for this opportunity. I have tried to do a lot of research – but it’s only made the decision overwhelming, so I thank you in advance for indulging me and hopefully giving me some advice. We are not allowed to take a cruise on the Norwegian Epic, but any other ship is OK. We can take up to a 7-night cruise, and I think I’ve narrowed it down to either the Caribbean or Bermuda (we haven’t been to either place). Other choices we could make are the Bahamas or western Mexico (“Mx Riviera”). Our travel dates would need to be April, May or June 2011. I’m hoping all of you expert cruisers can read a little about our vacation habits and preferences and suggest the cruise option you think might be the best for us.

About us: We’re a 40-year old married couple with no kids. Our travel interests vary. For instance, when we go to Europe, we tend to prefer urban experiences. We always use public transportation, and we prefer small hotels with character, rather than chains or anything “fancy.” Shopping is not at all important to us – we have more fun visiting local grocery stores, than we would ever have at a clothing boutique. We like to find inexpensive eateries with “locals,” and for lunch typically grab food from a street vendor or take a loaf of bread and some deli stuff to a park.

But, when we go to Mexico, we usually go for about a week to an all inclusive resort in the Playa Del Carmen/Tulum area (south of Cancun). We do love the beautiful beach and waters, and we love to snorkel and do some sea kayaking. We always take our own snorkel equipment and usually cart it around with us to different off-resort areas so we can try snorkeling in different places. Our favorite thing to see while snorkeling is turtles. Even when at an AI, we usually spend time off the resort and find a couple of local taquerias where we’ll enjoy some food and drinks. We aren’t big fans of the shows the resort puts on or the “disco,” but we may hang out in the open-air bar all night long enjoying the atmosphere and some drinks.

OK – I know that’s a lot of information, but I thought maybe if I told you enough to paint a picture of our typical travel experiences, it might help you provide some advice about the best choice for a cruise for us. We don’t want to spend a whole lot of extra money, since we’re really only considering this because it’s "free." (I understand all of the fees, tips, etc we’ll have to cover, and we will probably upgrade one level from Inside stateroom to ocean view. But, I don’t think we’ll want to do lots of guided excursions – maybe one or at the most, two.)

:confused: So all that said, where would you go if you were us? We’ve maybe narrowed it down to Bermuda and the Caribbean. Bermuda we thought might be good because we really like the idea of not having to return to the ship as a specific time. Also it sounds like it would be fairly easy to do our own exploring on public transport, and it sound like snorkeling right off the beach with our own gear would be easy and very good. BUT, we also like the idea of seeing a variety of places! I initially thought maybe the Eastern Caribbean would be good, but got a little turned off by reading about how one of the main attractions in St Thomas/St Marteen is shopping. On the Western Caribbean itinerary, Roatan and Belize sound really good, but Costa Maya sounds manufactured and a little unauthentic…

So, what do you think? Where would you go if you were us? Any and all advice is sincerely appreciated as we start planning for our cruise adventure J

If you love to snorkel and like different ports, I would suggest you look at any of the ships that do the Western Caribbean. We love both the Sun and the Spirit. The Sun will be doing the western before long and the Spirit sails out of New orleans with an awesome itinerary, sepecially for snorkelers or divers.

As for tours, feel free to do your own, many of us depend on private tours. Just make sure you time everything so you can get back on board at least an hour prior to sailing. By the way Costa Maya is a great port. You are not going to find any itinerary that will be perfect, so stop trying. Someitmes it is fun just to skp getting off the ship in one port and enjoy the pool without all the crowds.

From the inforamtion you have given you would be much happier doing the Spirit or Sun.

both Roatan and BElize would be perfect for you and Cozumel has great snorkeling and beaches. If you don't want to repeat the same ole, same ole, you have had in Mexico try Bermuda. I really do not think the Eastern would be right for you.

Nita

We found that the Eastern Caribbean to be centered more on shoppin and the snorkeling was disappointing after doing it in Roatan and Cozumel. Beleze has great snorkeing too, but we did the Lamani ruins trip, which was awsome. In the central american countries you can see a more unique culture, jungles, etc.,

My husband and I won a “free” cruise on NCL...

Hooray for you! :D

Caution: How much of the cruise is covered really by this prize?

Is the Daily Service Charge (DSC) Included? It's $12 per person per day added to your bill on the ship.

Are the port taxes included in the prize?

Also note that if you want to drink anything other than tap water, coffee, or tea is costs extra.

All the shore excursions are extra $$. (plan on about $75 per person per port)

I'm not trying to be a wet blanket. I just don't want your first cruise to end with you looking at a bill on the last for an unexpectedly high amount.

Let me throw out a couple of things for you to consider.

1. The previous poster did mention a couple of good points about money. I am sure that there will be some extra costs. My only suggestion on that is to make sure that you do count the cost just so that you are aware.

2. Perhaps you have already checked this out but usually when you "win" a cruise it is for an inside room deep in the ship. It that is ok well then fine. You will be given a chance to up grade your room for extra $$$. I have never been in an inside room---some on here have and like it. Our first cruise was an ocean view and our next three were balconys--we will stick with a balcony.

3. Several on here suggested Alaska. If you were to do Alaska I would only do that if you are going to do a land tour with it--add more $$$. Alaska is one of those place that I may only get to once--so I will do it right.

4. You mentioned your love for snorkling and Diving---I would concur with the other posters who stated Roatan/Belieze areas. These are among the best in the Caribbian--so look at Western Carb. cruises.

Hooray for you! :D

Caution: How much of the cruise is covered really by this prize?

Is the Daily Service Charge (DSC) Included? It's $12 per person per day added to your bill on the ship.

Are the port taxes included in the prize?

Also note that if you want to drink anything other than tap water, coffee, or tea is costs extra.

All the shore excursions are extra $$. (plan on about $75 per person per port)

I'm not trying to be a wet blanket. I just don't want your first cruise to end with you looking at a bill on the last for an unexpectedly high amount.

Aren't you the cheery one??? Good heavens. I am sure they are aware gratuities are not covered nor shore excurtions. And of course drinks are not covered. As for $75 per person per port, I don't know what tours you take, but obviously they are looking at tours like snorkeling etc. No, $75 isn't standard, especially if they book independently. It may be there first cruise but they are seasoned travelers..

Nita

Aren't you the cheery one??? Good heavens. I am sure they are aware gratuities are not covered nor shore excurtions. And of course drinks are not covered. As for $75 per person per port, I don't know what tours you take, but obviously they are looking at tours like snorkeling etc. No, $75 isn't standard, especially if they book independently. It may be there first cruise but they are seasoned travelers..

Nita

Yeah--that guy has a real hang up with the DSC--Why he cruises NCL I will never know.

Bermuda is my pick.

As you can see by my signature I love Bermuda and only a handful of my cruises have been elsewhere.

Easy to get around, nice beaches and snorkeling.

You are docked for days and don't feel rushed to return to the ship to go island jumping.

Only issue is dining is expensive but Im sure you can find way around that.

Id check the port/tax/fees to be sure they are included in your free cruise as well.

• 3 weeks later...

You sound like you travel the way we do, before I read all of the other answers and your response, I would have suggested Europe or Alaska as well..as many of the cruise ports in the "warmer" locations do cater to shopping and drinking not too far from the port. However, if you are adventurous, we find that renting a car for the day has been a godsend...usually VERY cheap and often right at the port or certainly nearby. Or we have even hired a driver for a day, and that is not as expensive as you would think. So, after you've snorkeled and done the water sports, pick a couple of ports that you want to tour in and get a car.

Personally the Bermuda cruises have never been at the top of my list because they seem strange to me. Sail one or two days to Bermuda, drop anchor (or dock) and stay for 3-4 days and then sail back.

I would rather sail to several ports and see more. I also like sea days.

For first time cruisers, I think a more cruise with more ports like the Carribean or Mexican Riviera would be better.

I agree that they OP should consider Alaska. If you have never been there, it is a great "introduction" to Alaska. It is one of those places that you have to see once in your lifetime.

How about Hawaii?? If the OP is getting a free cruise on any ship except the Epic, what about the Pride of America? Pride of America cruises tend to be more expensive than the other ships in the fleet and so if you can get it free, then why not go for it? The money saved in the cruise cost can be used for the flight cost and an pre or post cruise stay! A trip to the Hawaiian Islands can be one of the most expensive trips of all... cruise or otherwise. Why not have a good chunk of it covered by NCL?

While the service on the POAm is not as good as on the international ships due to the American crew, a POAm cruise can be a great introduction to cruising. Port intensive, only 1/2 day of a sea day, lots of dinner choices, tendering, etc. All of the various aspects of cruising rolled into one in generally smaller portions. (including some of the smallest cabins in the fleet unfortunately.)

One other comment to the OP... the "prize" is probably a cabin in the lowest catagory on board. (an interior on a lower deck.) If possible, regardless of where you decide to cruise, I would see if you could upgrade and pay the difference to get an ocean view or balcony cabin. Those are much better ways to truly experience cruising.

Congratulations and regardless of which cruise you choose, you will have a great time!

We went there the 1st week in June and it was gorgeous! Great weather. I think anytime in June would be wonderful there. St. Georges has so much history and very quaint. You feel like you have gone back in time. Hamilton is shopping and some of the gardens there are beautiful. Don't miss the Crystal Caves in the middle of the island. We were there almost 3 days and did not run out of things to do the first time we went. Just went again in May. Take the ferries when you can because they are so much faster than the buses and are included in the pass.

DH and I vote for W. Caribbean! LOVED Roatan snorkeling, went to Mayan ruins at Lamanai in Belize, and the trip down the river to get there was fascinating. They provided a picnic given by the locals, and that was delicious. We also went to Chacchoben in Costa Maya, and did that with a private, native tour operator. We are not much on shopping either, but would rather immerse ourselves in the culture and snorkeling. We even had fun snorkeling on Great Stirrup Cay - and you will read a lot of negative things here on these boards. It is what you make it, and we enjoyed our last cruise on the Jewel so much!!

We have also done 7 days in the Mediterranean, but that is pretty port intensive, and you come home tired from your adventure. For a first time cruise, I would enjoy just relaxing, and the caribbean is the place to relax, if you ask me.

Whatever you decide, I hope that you will totally enjoy your cruise!!

We went there the 1st week in June and it was gorgeous! Great weather. I think anytime in June would be wonderful there. St. Georges has so much history and very quaint. You feel like you have gone back in time. Hamilton is shopping and some of the gardens there are beautiful. Don't miss the Crystal Caves in the middle of the island. We were there almost 3 days and did not run out of things to do the first time we went. Just went again in May. Take the ferries when you can because they are so much faster than the buses and are included in the pass.

We went to Bermuda the last week in May and the weather was beautiful as well. I vote Bermuda too... the public transportation is excellent and it is easy and safe to explore.. great first cruise!! We traveled with my niece and nephew and there were not very many children on the ship.

I warn you – this is VERY long, but I’m sincerely looking for some advice for a first-time cruise choice.

My husband and I won a “free” cruise on NCL, and we’re looking for some advice about which cruise to take. We have never been on a cruise before – and honestly likely would never have considered a cruise vacation if it wasn’t for this opportunity. I have tried to do a lot of research – but it’s only made the decision overwhelming, so I thank you in advance for indulging me and hopefully giving me some advice. We are not allowed to take a cruise on the Norwegian Epic, but any other ship is OK. We can take up to a 7-night cruise, and I think I’ve narrowed it down to either the Caribbean or Bermuda (we haven’t been to either place). Other choices we could make are the Bahamas or western Mexico (“Mx Riviera”). Our travel dates would need to be April, May or June 2011. I’m hoping all of you expert cruisers can read a little about our vacation habits and preferences and suggest the cruise option you think might be the best for us.

About us: We’re a 40-year old married couple with no kids. Our travel interests vary. For instance, when we go to Europe, we tend to prefer urban experiences. We always use public transportation, and we prefer small hotels with character, rather than chains or anything “fancy.” Shopping is not at all important to us – we have more fun visiting local grocery stores, than we would ever have at a clothing boutique. We like to find inexpensive eateries with “locals,” and for lunch typically grab food from a street vendor or take a loaf of bread and some deli stuff to a park.

But, when we go to Mexico, we usually go for about a week to an all inclusive resort in the Playa Del Carmen/Tulum area (south of Cancun). We do love the beautiful beach and waters, and we love to snorkel and do some sea kayaking. We always take our own snorkel equipment and usually cart it around with us to different off-resort areas so we can try snorkeling in different places. Our favorite thing to see while snorkeling is turtles. Even when at an AI, we usually spend time off the resort and find a couple of local taquerias where we’ll enjoy some food and drinks. We aren’t big fans of the shows the resort puts on or the “disco,” but we may hang out in the open-air bar all night long enjoying the atmosphere and some drinks.

OK – I know that’s a lot of information, but I thought maybe if I told you enough to paint a picture of our typical travel experiences, it might help you provide some advice about the best choice for a cruise for us. We don’t want to spend a whole lot of extra money, since we’re really only considering this because it’s "free." (I understand all of the fees, tips, etc we’ll have to cover, and we will probably upgrade one level from Inside stateroom to ocean view. But, I don’t think we’ll want to do lots of guided excursions – maybe one or at the most, two.)

:confused: So all that said, where would you go if you were us? We’ve maybe narrowed it down to Bermuda and the Caribbean. Bermuda we thought might be good because we really like the idea of not having to return to the ship as a specific time. Also it sounds like it would be fairly easy to do our own exploring on public transport, and it sound like snorkeling right off the beach with our own gear would be easy and very good. BUT, we also like the idea of seeing a variety of places! I initially thought maybe the Eastern Caribbean would be good, but got a little turned off by reading about how one of the main attractions in St Thomas/St Marteen is shopping. On the Western Caribbean itinerary, Roatan and Belize sound really good, but Costa Maya sounds manufactured and a little unauthentic…

So, what do you think? Where would you go if you were us? Any and all advice is sincerely appreciated as we start planning for our cruise adventure J

Hi there - I used to be a first time cruiser and like yourself shopping is not my thing. You are going to find no matter where you go or what cruise you take shopping is the main focus.

With that being said I'd go to Alaska. The Glaciers are amazing. Glacier Bay is gorgeous, they won't be letting cruise ships in there forever, you can always do a the other cruises.

I just got back from seeing Humpback whales and Orcas, along with Eagles, Bears,and sea lions -- just hearing Humpback whales sing to each other was mind blowing.

Every cruise has kids -- there isn't a cruise I don't think out there that doesn't have kids on it. Our last ship had 350 kids on it. But I have to say they weren't under foot.

I think our next cruise is going to be a Hawaiian one. Regardless of where you go make sure you get a cabin with a balcony, or even a suite. That's the only way to cruise in my book.

Good luck -

Archived