wheelchair rental for stay at Ft Lauderdale hotel

Aprille

We will need a wheelchair for my dad for our upcoming stay at Hyatt Place North in Ft Lauderdale. I called the hotel and they gave me the phone number for Family Rentals.

I called them and it's going to be $78 for a two-day rental including delivery/pick-up to/from hotel (which we definitely need).

Seems kind of steep but then I've never rented a wheelchair for a hotel stay so what do I know. :p ;)

Does this seem like a reasonable price? Or does anyone else have another rental place they can recommend?

Have you called any mobility places in Ft. L area yourself? I'd start there.

Does your dad just need a transport chair, the lightweight kind that someone just pushes him in? I know Walgreens sells them and perhaps they rent.

Otherwise, you are stuck with whatever the market bears I guess.

Do you have one rented for the cruise?

Thanks for the reply, eandj. My dad (who turns 88 on Thursday) is somewhat mobile and only needs to be pushed around in a wheelchair to keep him from having to walk long distances. We were going to rent a wheelchair for the cruise ship also (did that for our Disney cruise last year) but after I posted this question I had an epiphany! I suggested to my mom that she check out rentals locally where they live and she is able to get one for $70 for a month! Then we'll have one in all airports, hotel, cruise terminal and cruise ship for much cheaper than the alternative! YAY! I can't believe neither of us (Mom or me) came up with this brilliant idea earlier. LOL! :cool:

If your dad is using it for just transporting, you might want to look to buy one of the easy and light folding chairs. We didn't spend much over a hundred and it was the best thing for taking my mom to appointments, strolls around town etc. for her last 4 years. If you're going to spend that much for the rental, might as well own your own. have a wonderful time!:D

Archived