Parents of Children Traveling to Rome/Pompeii (and adults)

I have two kids who will be 3 and 5 when we go on our cruise this summer, and I have been looking for age appropriate info to share with them before we travel to prepare them with some of the things/places we'll see. These books all seem a bit over their heads, but with a little pre-digestion by mom/dad they are very useful. I also am enjoying reading them and learning on a not too technical level about places that we'll be visiting. I found all listed below in my local library in the childrens department. Does anyone else have books etc. to add to this list???

The Buried City of Pompeii By Shelley Tanaka Illustrated by Greg Ruhl

(this is an "I was there book" about what it was like when Vesuvius exploded)

I believe that the cost is $7.95, (under call # 937.7 Tan)

The secrets of Vesuvius By Sara C. Bisel (this is a "Time quest book") $15.95, (under call # 937.7 Bis)

Ancient Rome! By Avery Hart and Sandra Gallagher ("A kaleidescope kids book") Has activities, history and more about Rome then and now perfect for school-age kids. $10.95 (under call # 937 Har)

The Terry Deary 'Horrible History' series of books are quite good. You might want to look at 'The Groovy Greeks', 'The Rotten Romans' and 'The Ruthless Romans'. There aren't many pictures... more cartoon images so you'd need to read them to your children. I think you can also get them on audio cassette.

I'd also recommend the Usborne books. Follow the 'history' link and you'll find a number of Greek and Roman books. I'd also look at some of their puzzle books (young puzzlers) to keep the children occupied on the journey.

Laura

• 2 weeks later...

Archived