Plus size - post pictures of your dresses please

mollymoo12

!B6kQRwQBGk~$(KGrHqIOKnMEy15K7Ib5BM))5ML,1g~~0_12.JPG

I've been lurking on ebay for months looking for a formal dress for our cruise next month, and I finally found something! Got it for $13!! It obviously needs to be pressed, but I'm so excited. A nice pair of silver heels and a wrap and I will be ready to go!

Oh very pretty!!

I just love ebay. I've bought 3 dresses (2 cocktail and 1 maxi) from ebay in the past 2 weeks. They were $40, $22, and $10. The way I see it is I can save money on all the casual and cocktail dresses and spend more for the formal one I really want.

Oh very pretty!!

I just love ebay. I've bought 3 dresses (2 cocktail and 1 maxi) from ebay in the past 2 weeks. They were $40, $22, and $10. The way I see it is I can save money on all the casual and cocktail dresses and spend more for the formal one I really want.

Let me get this straight!!!!!! You ladies have been ordering plus size Formal wear from Ebay and it fits??: Can you tell me more about this please??? It sounds very interesting.

Rhonda

Edited by windham depot
spelling

Let me get this straight!!!!!! You ladies have been ordering plus size Formal wear from Ebay and it fits??: Can you tell me more about this please??? It sounds very interesting.

Rhonda

For the first time in my adult life (I am 41), I am not plus size. But what I did was go to Dillards and try on all kinds of things, then look for them on ebay. That way I knew what they looked like on me and what size I should get.

And I figure if I get a $10 dress, I don't mind having it altered if I need to.

Rhonda

I've been happy so far too. I also have a mother and a sister who cruise, plus I have a teenage daughter and 2 grown daughters. I figure if it doesn't fit me, it will fit someone else in the family. That's another reason why I won't pay more than $25 for a dress off of ebay either, just in case it doesn't work for any of us.

I've been happy so far too. I also have a mother and a sister who cruise, plus I have a teenage daughter and 2 grown daughters. I figure if it doesn't fit me, it will fit someone else in the family. That's another reason why I won't pay more than $25 for a dress off of ebay either, just in case it doesn't work for any of us.

You're telling me that people sell Plus Size Formal Wear on Ebay!!!!!!!! Plus Size!!!!!!! And it fits????

Rhonda

You're telling me that people sell Plus Size Formal Wear on Ebay!!!!!!!! Plus Size!!!!!!! And it fits????

Rhonda

Yep....Rhonda, it's true! I have shopped on ebay, alot, too. I am a bit more careful with clothing purchases, but you can find pretty much ANYTHING on ebay. I often find unique clothing there. I have also used ebay to find clothing I really, really liked but couldn't find in the store anymore....you can search in so many categories, too, like color, size, brand, length, new or used, etc... Give it a look.....sounds like you'll be surprised! :+)

I bought my 'first' quacker factory plus size item from QVC - I now buy ALL of my cute and funky quacker factory stuff off of Ebay - much cheaper and very easy to do!

Here is my latest ebay acquisition (click on photos and then the white shirt) - got it for around $20 and can't wait to wear it! http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.A200710.desc.Quacker-Factory-34-Sleeve-Summer-Vacation-Beaded-Tshirt

Edited by Froufie

Here is the dress that I just bought today. I had a heck of a time finding something in my size (16). It was frustrating, but I am happy that I finally found something. I need to get it hemmed and have the straps taken in. (oh and I found it marked down from $150 to $45 at Dillards - huge plus)

http://www.myshape.com/shop/style/207785?utm_source=cj&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=cjfeeds&SID=56p6arqdvn639ai1nj1te1jp13

very pretty

I have a light-weight double-knit longish black skirt that is a-symetrical with a ruffle at the bottom (looks better than it sounds, lol), and then I find some formal tops to go with. Nothing with glitter (it sheds) but something pretty. That's the easiest for me to do, since I look hideous in dresses (different size top-half and lower-half).

this is what i usually do too since you can mix and match. I buy the tops so they will go with 2 black skirts.

I have a light-weight double-knit longish black skirt that is a-symetrical with a ruffle at the bottom (looks better than it sounds, lol), and then I find some formal tops to go with. Nothing with glitter (it sheds) but something pretty. That's the easiest for me to do, since I look hideous in dresses (different size top-half and lower-half).

Sandy

I am right there with you. I can't get a dress that looks nice on me. I opt for pants & a flowing chiffony top. I did find 2 skirts for our cruise we went on in Aug. They are longer flowey ones. Worked for me. I am not a real big dresser upper er!!!

I bought my 'first' quacker factory plus size item from QVC - I now buy ALL of my cute and funky quacker factory stuff off of Ebay - much cheaper and very easy to do!

Here is my latest ebay acquisition (click on photos and then the white shirt) - got it for around $20 and can't wait to wear it! http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.A200710.desc.Quacker-Factory-34-Sleeve-Summer-Vacation-Beaded-Tshirt

Love Quaker factory. I just got a 3XL red Christmas sweater. I have the top you posted in the white. Got many compliments on it in Oct on our girl cruise. Wore it to dinner with capri's.

Love Quaker factory. I just got a 3XL red Christmas sweater. I have the top you posted in the white. Got many compliments on it in Oct on our girl cruise. Wore it to dinner with capri's.

I bet it was a big hit! Can't wait to wear mine on my cruise - have white long pants and capris - so will depend on my 'mood'! - will definitely be wearing it to dinner!!!

I just remembered today to look and there's nothing in my email from my own cell phone so will have to re-send. Here are some of the dresses I've chosen to purchase and wear, but none of them are me in them:

brown.jpg

JonesNYreddress.jpg

purpledress-1.jpg

I love all three of these!! We dance and I could see me doing all of them- where did you find them?? We are near DC. S.

For the first time in my adult life (I am 41), I am not plus size. But what I did was go to Dillards and try on all kinds of things, then look for them on ebay. That way I knew what they looked like on me and what size I should get.

And I figure if I get a $10 dress, I don't mind having it altered if I need to.

What a great Idea!! I guess I'm going shopping this week!!

I have a new pair of red dance shoes and have been looking for a red dress. I find a lot of evening tops at Ross to go with black evening pants with the flowing overlay. (sometimes called carwash pants)

I usually take black pants and 2 different tops on a cruise.

Would love to have a new cocktail dress or formal for Christmas dance and New years dance. Usually everything I get is Black. Would love to try on the purple, deep green or red for a change.

I think I prefer the blue over the green. It also comes in navy as well but, my husband didn't like that one as much.

Gorgeous dress! With your colouring I think I would pick the green, but I'd really like the blue for me, me, me!! Where is it?

I don't tend to have many photos of me dressed up (I'm never happy), but here's a couple. (I include the "bottom half" photo to show the petticoat I made for the second outfit) I have to admit that the first one, although silk chiffon and beaded, is actually a thrift store find! The second one is a silk/cotton from Bravissimo in the UK. At that store I can get away with a UK 16 because they leave extra room for breasts. I'm knocking at 50's door, too!

formal0001.jpg

DSC06256.jpg

DSC06254.jpg

Ack! sorry for the gumpy face...my husband usually catches me talking out of the side of my mouth, so it's actually one of the better ones.

Edited by Milaandra

I don't tend to have many photos of me dressed up (I'm never happy), but here's a couple. (I include the "bottom half" photo to show the petticoat I made for the second outfit) I have to admit that the first one, although silk chiffon and beaded, is actually a thrift store find! The second one is a silk/cotton from Bravissimo in the UK. At that store I can get away with a UK 16 because they leave extra room for breasts. I'm knocking at 50's door, too!

formal0001.jpg

DSC06256.jpg

DSC06254.jpg

Ack! sorry for the gumpy face...my husband usually catches me talking out of the side of my mouth, so it's actually one of the better ones.

Very Nice, Milaandra! I REALLY like the champagne colored outfit! Yummy!

formal0001.jpg

DSC06256.jpg

DSC06254.jpg

So pretty! And I LOVE your shoes.

Gorgeous dress! With your colouring I think I would pick the green, but I'd really like the blue for me, me, me!! Where is it?

LOL, I actually found the dress on-line at Roamans. I appreciate your opinion but, I did order the Teal one it should come any day now.

Rhonda

Just bought several dresses at a great price! Huge sale tonight only....if not tonight, the clearance dresses were sweet, too! I'll try to post one of the ones I got below: www dot catherines dot com is the place :D

Link to dress I bought: http://catherines.lanebryant.com/clearance/eveningwear/rose-print-hologram-oscar/13788c13801p71889/index.pro?Mcatn=Eveningwear&Mcatpn=Clearance&Mcatg=category_root&Mcatp=cat_13788%405000&Mcat=13801%405000

71889?$checkout_product$&wid=70&hei=91

Dreaming of Floating.........................................................

So pretty! And I LOVE your shoes.

Thanks :) I have a weakness for shoes because of a) artificial height and b) when they fit they look the same as on skinny people :D I like hats and scarves for the same reason.

Mollymoo, does it help seeing us in our finery?

Most of us hate our arms, and there aren't many choices in eveningwear with sleeves, and even fewer that don't look just frumpy. I haven't tried it yet, but a bridal seamstress can put together a little matching bolero in the blink of an eye. I personally just hang on to my shawls/wraps with a deathgrip!

Here's the rub...I don't find other women's arms unattractive! I think that a plus size woman who has put herself together well (and isn't wearing a tent) looks lovely! It's only my own arms I fixate on, so try to keep that in mind. I'm guessing that everyone is the same on that one, and the only one who is going to find your bare arms disgusting is you!

Most of us hate our tummies, too. There's more choice there, thank goodness!

If you can stand shapewear, there are a couple that actually do something. I'm wearing a lightly boned waist cincher in the above two dresses. It holds in the fat pad over the diaphragm without being uncomfortable. I also have a thing called a squeem...I feel a little like a sausage in a casing when I'm wearing it, but it makes a huge difference! The regular shapewear available in stores is useless at our size, IMHO.

Bodies come in all shapes, and a number doesn't really indicate a woman's dimensions. If you are a pear shape, that's a real advantage for plus-size shopping, because most plus garments are designed for that body type. Me, I have to look for items with stretch at the bust, bra strap friendly styles, etc. and sometimes I get so carried away with the fact that something will zip up, I forget to notice if it's flattering.

At the risk of sounding really insulting (I don't mean to me...I've been there!) there is a "fat girl uniform" we tend to fall into and it doesn't do us any favours! I used to wear those two piece outfits from the plus store...you know, those matching tunics and elastic waist pants. I'm only 5'4", so the crotch and tunic bottom would hang half-way to my knees and anything that hangs from the bust is a bad choice for someone busty...at any size. I looked awful! I thought I'd look better hiding my flaws, but I just looked like a squat polyester boulder. I started watching shows like "What Not to Wear" and "How to Look Good Naked", and I've been on a voyage ever since. Obviously I'm not there yet and I do make some expensive mistakes now and then. It's a learning process.

My recommendation would be to go shopping alot. And try on everything that looks like it might fit. Don't get weirded out if something doesn't...there are huge variations. And maybe take a trusted friend...preferrably someone of a similar size or a bit bigger. In fact, if you're lucky enough to have a friend of similar dimensions, and you're on the fence about a garment, convince her to try it on so you can get a truly objective view!