Snorkeling in Roatan

saraid

We will be in Roatan on August 10th with the Epic and we are interested in snorkeling. If possible, we would like to have the option of renting a kayak after snorkeling (but not a dealbreaker). From my research, it looks like our best bet might be to just head to West Bay and rent equipment. However, we are first-time cruisers so I'm a little hesitant to just grab a cab and go, due to our inexperience.

Does anyone have any recommendations for private/independent tour companies that run snorkel trips? Also important, we don't want to ride a bus for over 30 minutes or so. Thanks!

The best snorkeling is at Tabyana beach and if you are first time cruisers and new to Roatan, my suggestion is that you pay a little more and book the excursion there through the ship. It is a 25-30 minute taxi ride from the ship to Tabyana. A beautiful beach with fantastic snorkeling right from beach. You will get a nice tour of part of the island on your way there. Roatan is beautiful but still very third world, and not the type of place an inexperienced traveler would venture off on your own....the area around the dock is nothing special and you need to get away from there to see the beautiful island. My recommendation hands down is to go to Tabyana and just pay a little more since this is your first time and book the trip through the ship. That way you will not worry about your transportation back to the ship. We will be there again in about 3 weeks and cannot wait!! You will love it!! Hope you have a wonderful time, and my bet is that you will quickly become hooked on cruising!! :)

There is a snorkeling place closer to the ship where you will not have to ride for 30 minutes....it used to be called Fins and Flippers but is now called Maya Key...check out www.mayakeyroatan.com If you go to West Bay/West End/Tabyana area it will take 25-30 minutes....it is not very far, but the roads are not the best and that is why it takes a little longer...the time goes quickly and you get a nice tour of the island....if you go to Maya Key you will not get to see much of the island, but it is something else to consider....it has received good reviews, but we always keep going back to Roatan since we enjoy it so much there.

The best snorkeling is at Tabyana beach and if you are first time cruisers and new to Roatan, my suggestion is that you pay a little more and book the excursion there through the ship. It is a 25-30 minute taxi ride from the ship to Tabyana. A beautiful beach with fantastic snorkeling right from beach. You will get a nice tour of part of the island on your way there. Roatan is beautiful but still very third world, and not the type of place an inexperienced traveler would venture off on your own....the area around the dock is nothing special and you need to get away from there to see the beautiful island. My recommendation hands down is to go to Tabyana and just pay a little more since this is your first time and book the trip through the ship. That way you will not worry about your transportation back to the ship. We will be there again in about 3 weeks and cannot wait!! You will love it!! Hope you have a wonderful time, and my bet is that you will quickly become hooked on cruising!! :)

And add that the cruise ship runs R/T shuttles throughout the day so you can return at your leisure.

If we go to Tabanya with the ship, will we be able to walk and swim where we want at West Bay? I've read a few posts where cruise participants were all herded together in the water and not permitted to leave the cruise beach. We want to be able to kind of "do what we want" (within reason!) Right now we are considering the West Bay Beach Shuttle from Rony's Tours. We figure we will pay for access/locker at one of the resorts and then rent snorkel gear, maybe BOB, etc. Does this sound reasonable?

We went to Tabayana last year through the ship excursion, best decision ever; yes, the bus ride is not the best, but it is a beautiful drive, and the snorkeling was completely amazing; some of the best ever; and you are not in any way restricted to a schedule other than when your lunch is served; there were kayaks further down the beach to rent but we never got to them, the snorkeling was too amazing; we ran out of time and took the last bus back

There is a snorkeling place closer to the ship where you will not have to ride for 30 minutes....it used to be called Fins and Flippers but is now called Maya Key...check out www.mayakeyroatan.com If you go to West Bay/West End/Tabyana area it will take 25-30 minutes....it is not very far, but the roads are not the best and that is why it takes a little longer...the time goes quickly and you get a nice tour of the island....if you go to Maya Key you will not get to see much of the island, but it is something else to consider....it has received good reviews, but we always keep going back to Roatan since we enjoy it so much there.

There are now two docking piers for Carnival in Roatan. If you dock at the old pier (Coxen's Hole or Bay?) Maya Cay is a 25 min bus ride away; so is West End and Tabyana Beaches. If you dock at the new Mahogany Bay pier, with its enclosed artificial shopping mall and man made beach, you can walk to a pier where you can ferry right over to Maya Cay. Tabyana is further from Mahogany however.

If we go to Tabanya with the ship, will we be able to walk and swim where we want at West Bay? I've read a few posts where cruise participants were all herded together in the water and not permitted to leave the cruise beach. We want to be able to kind of "do what we want" (within reason!) Right now we are considering the West Bay Beach Shuttle from Rony's Tours. We figure we will pay for access/locker at one of the resorts and then rent snorkel gear, maybe BOB, etc. Does this sound reasonable?

My understanding is that all of West Bay Beach is public beach. Tabyana is a particular area where the cruise ships have set up their chairs, food, etc. As with most resorts, you can't just walk in and make use of their facilities.

We have reserved (for use in October) the West Bay Beach Break through Island Marketing. More private area (no crowd/herd), 12 person van to shuttle us to and from that will make two stops going over for scenic photo ops, welcome cocktail at the resort and use of their facilities (showers, restrooms, loungers, etc)

I prefer to lounge away form the crowds, but still have access to everything that is available at the West Bay Beach area.

Both Maya Cay and Tabyana sound wonderful.

Which is recommended for snorkeling? Anyone been to both for a comparison?

We have only been to Maya Cay but it was great for snorkeling. We are going back there in October.

Have fun!

This isn't a reply about snokeling but to ask how you liked the Epic. We are going on it Jan.2011. We were intrigued by the rooms being curved. It really looks like a beautiful ship. Hope you had a great time.

Confused about the post regarding docking at Mahogany Bay vs the other cruise pier.

From the Google map on the Maya Key website, it looks like Mahogany Bay would be FURTHER from there and would be closer to West End. Can someone clarify? Perhaps I'm just misjudging the configuration/distance.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I would not worry about the cab ride, we walk out of the cruise terminal and use a local cab the driver will drop you at any beach you want and you don't pay until the cab returns, they will give you a local tour on the way if you want into the back streets were the locals live and through the town on the way back. You set the pick up time and negotiate the price it is cheaper pricing outside the terminal and the money all goes to the locals.

Time is not a factor if you get to the beach by 10am you will be sun baked by 1:00pm if the weather is clear. We go to Fosters http://www.fostersroatan.com/ you can actually see were the cruise ships drop of the tours way down the beach from their resort maybe a half hour walk down the beach if you want to join the crowds and snorkel with them for free. The reef is about 200 yards straight out.

Both Maya Cay and Tabyana sound wonderful.

Which is recommended for snorkeling? Anyone been to both for a comparison?

My preference is for Tabyana, it's a much larger beach and has more opportunities. If you find you can't reach the reef swimming, there are several small boats that will ferry you to snorkeling spots - $15 for an hour........

Archived