Donateing blood after cruise

Drelix

I looked at the thing on travel and since vanauatu is a meleria infected controy.

you can not dontae for 6 months.. has anyone done this or do you just not say you went away.

Has anyone rang up and asked cause i am concidering giving blood but unsure what to do?

I looked at the thing on travel and since vanauatu is a meleria infected controy.

you can not dontae for 6 months.. has anyone done this or do you just not say you went away.

Has anyone rang up and asked cause i am concidering giving blood but unsure what to do?

from what I am lead to beleave yes this is true

Hi Drelix,

I have donated blood after cruising to Vanuatu with no problems. I advised them I had travelled overseas and where I'd been - they just made a note on my file. I "think" they only use a portion of the blood - that's in QLD, I'm not sure in other states.

Hi Drelix,

When I give blood, the staff there always ask if you have been to certain countries recently. They have a list and if you have been there, they will turn you down.

I wasn't aware that Vanuata has a malaria problem..so that's news to me.

Hope you have no problems with it.

Cheers,

Anna

There is malaria in Vanuatu but would people take malaria prophylaxis especially as the ships only call in for the day and set sail before sundown and before the mozzies come out.

I took malaria prophylaxis for my trip to South Africa which is a must but it was a bit of a pain.If you go the antibiotic route it means continuing the tablets for a month after you return and also one of the side effects is sun sensitivity.Not a good thing for people on a cruise.There is another option and although you take these tablets for a shorter duration they are expensive.

Regards Elaine

Archived