Bringing drinks on board YES or NO

I want to see if I have this right. My family will be spending 6 days in Italy before our cruise and planned on bringing home a bottle of wine as a gift for a family member. We have no intention of drinking it and wouldn't even if it were in our cabin with us. We have no problem with RCI taking it and giving it back on the last day so we can pack it and bring home the gift. Am I understanding it correctly that RCI will confiscate the wine because we brought it on at embarkation and will not return it? And yet if someone brings on a bottle at a port, they will take it , tag it and give it back at the end of the cruise. I'm trying to understand so we can change our plans of gift if we need to. This is our first cruise with RCI as our other cruises have been with Celebrity, Princess and Carnival where this has not been an issue. We have enjoyed all of the cruises we have been on and have no doubts that we will enjoy this one too, but it can influence our future choice of cruiseline.

Wines in Italy are very expensive - you can probably buy the same bottle much cheaper in a finer wine shop - but yes you have to check it in upon returning to the ship and yes they will tag it, and bring it to your cabin the night before you doc along with any other alcohol you purchase while on the tours

Hope this helps:)

Thanks for answering. What I am not sure of is if I bring it on when I check in at the start of the cruise. It sounds like RCI will not return the wine if it is brought when you board the ship on the first day. But if I buy it in a port after the cruise has started, they will check it and give it back at the end? We are going to be in Turin before the cruise and have done research about the wine area surrounding Turin. They have some wonderful and affordable wines that I would love to bring back to family, but I would hate to buy them and have them taken and not returned.

Can box wine be picked up either in the carry-on or checked luggage?

I am having my first balcony and would like to sit on my deck and enjoy a glass of wine. Other cruise lines do allow one bottle per person to bring on board. I do not think that is unreasonable.

I do bring water on board and will be bringing some onboard in a couple of weeks. I am amazed that RCCL has this policy for non alcoholic beverages. I usually bring water and cranberry juice.

If they confiscate my water, I will be out $4.00. Not a big deal, but it does make one shake their head.

Do they have bottled water in the concierge lounge?

RCCL has a captive audience, so I guess we the customers can make the choice of either cruising with them or not.

ML

Boxed wine is prohibited like any other alcoholic beverage. However because it is not in a bottle it is less likely to be caught.

There is nothing wrong with "making a profit" but there is when the price they charge they should collect it wearing a mask and carrying a gun.

So I guess you have never been to even a moderately priced restaurant?:confused:

The drink prices on the ships are no higher than the medium priced chains such as Olive Garden or TGI Fridays.

I don't understand the whole bringing your alcohol on board mentality. The cruiselines prohibit it because it cuts into their profits. I understand that because a passenger pays for the cruise they feel they should be able to bring their own liquor. But the cost of the cruise is the amount it is because the Cruise line has an average amount that each paasenger spends and factors that in. When the average revenue goes down the price of cruising will go up.

I think they should allow you to purchase bottles and mixers for the room, that way the Pax who claim they are just smuggling to have a nice drink on the balcony won't have an excuse.

That is not necessarily true. They took our wine from us on day one, and we did NOT get it back the night before we disembarked.

Yes - this is known policy. Bring alcohol on board on day 1 from port of embarkation they seize it and do not return it - they take your personal property away from you and keep it for violating their rules Bring alcohol on board from any of the ports in its original bottle -they tag it and return it about 6pm on the last night. They assume you are buying it to take home and not consume on the ship so that is why they return it. On embarkation day however, it is obvious the intention is to drink it aboard the ship.

We're sailing on Liberty on 8/15 and upon reviewing my electronic documents, it does not say that non-alcoholic beverages are prohibited.

Just to add to your post....we just got our documents for our October cruise on the Liberty and it is very specific that alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages are prohibited from being brought on board. However, because I've read numerous posts from passengers that have brought water on board without difficulty recently, I'm going to give it a try again. We've always done it in the past by just taping a luggage tag to the case and it arrives to our cabin with our luggage. If it doesn't work this time, I'm only out $4. It's worth a try.....

Yes - this is known policy. Bring alcohol on board on day 1 from port of embarkation they seize it and do not return it - they take your personal property away from you and keep it for violating their rules Bring alcohol on board from any of the ports in its original bottle -they tag it and return it about 6pm on the last night. They assume you are buying it to take home and not consume on the ship so that is why they return it. On embarkation day however, it is obvious the intention is to drink it aboard the ship.

I was just responding to the person, who was responding to someone else. One person asked if they bought wine in Italy before they embarked (for gifts) would they be confiscated. Someone responded that they would not confiscate them. The poster said they would be tagged and returned on the last night, as they would be if bought at the ports. I was stating that this is not necessarily true. Ours was taken and never given back.

We sailed out of San Juan recently and they encouraged the purchase of water by the case within the cruise terminal before boarding. It was just $5 a case and we were permitted to bring it on the ship. On the other hand, I had a bottle of Coke with me after a shore excursion which had to be discarded prior to boarding. From my experience the policy does vary... I didn't let it ruin my vacation, we just headed up to the pool bar and had a few

real
drinks! Cheers:)

I was just responding to the person, who was responding to someone else. One person asked if they bought wine in Italy before they embarked (for gifts) would they be confiscated. Someone responded that they would not confiscate them. The poster said they would be tagged and returned on the last night, as they would be if bought at the ports. I was stating that this is not necessarily true. Ours was taken and never given back.

Thank you for your answer. I think I won't chance it and will buy a gift other than wine.

Archived