Public transportation and 7 mile beach?

cricri7

Hi guys....I will be going on the Solstice on August 15th and was wondering about the 7 mile beach on Grand Cayman island. Is it possible to get to it by public bus? I like the beach but get bored after about 1 hour and was wondering if it was easy getting back from there. I went to Bermuda at the beginning of the summer and it was really easy to do the public beach by bus. Is it the same for Grand Cayman? How much would a cab cost and would it be easy to find one afterwards at the beach?

I also have a question about the beach itself....where would be the best place to go to so I could have facilities for changing or public restrooms? Are there hotels where you can go that lets you use the facilities for a fee?

I will also be a 40 something woman traveling alone. I was in Grand Cayman this winter but went to the turtle farm with an organized group and walked in the area near the customs afterwards. Is it safe to go the beach alone?

Thanks in advance for your answer!!

Yes, you can get to 7 Mile Beach by bus---or really, minivan. It costs $2.50 each way. You have to walk a little to get to it. Try searching this forum for "bus," as I know there have been directions to the starting point, but otherwise, you can ask someone when you're there. The buses are white, have a green circle in the front, probably a foot in diameter, and you want one that says WB on it (for West Bay). You can tell them where you want to be let off. On the way back, there are some bus stops, but you can flag one down anywhere along the road.

7 Mile Beach should be safe. I've walked on it alone a bunch of times. Lots of people around, and Grand Cayman is a safe island in general.

Not sure about the hotel question. I know people who have gone to both the Westin and the Marriott for the day, but I've also read that those places don't always allow day use.

Not all public buses are white! The color of the bus has nothing to do with which route it serves.

There is a circle with a number and letters inside which indicate the are that is served. Routes 1 or 2 will have WB for West Bay. Either of these routes will drive the full length of Seven Mile Beach.

The depot in George Town is right next to the yellow Waterfront Centre building (where the Dairy Queen is). Turn left out of the tender dock and walk a short distance (100ft to 1/4 mile depending upon which dock your ship is tendering to) and you will see the depot.

Check out Calico Jacks its on the beach, there are always taxis waiting outside.There are Bathrooms that are clean ,the foods alittle pricey but the location and the beach is so nice. My personal favorite place in the world

How long is the bus ride from 7 mile beach to the port? In other words, how much time should we allot to get back?

We took public trans to Cemetary Beach at the far end of 7 mile. It was maybe 15 minutes. 7 mile is really about 4 1/2 miles long.;) Cayman is like Texas. Everything is bigger.:D

Archived