How light is it at "night"?

pappy3393

We went to Alaska the end of May and at Midnight the sun was shining bright at midnight! It would finally get dark around 3a.m. but not "really" dark... It never got dark like it would at midnight in any other part of the country. It was a rather strange thing to get used to and made jet lag something vicious coming back to the east coast.

A good example of how light it is at the end of June is that you can drive at highway speeds all night without using your headlights (not recommended, but you could). Or you could read a large-print book outside.

Murray

What time does the sun usually come up? My husband wants to do a fishing excursion which starts at 4:30 in the morning, but he is nightblind. I don't really want to go, but will if I have to to be the "seeing eye wife". Hoping it will be light? :D

I realize that the farther north you go, obviously, it stays later longer, but I have heard that in Southeast Alaska (Juneau, Skagway, etc... ) that it is not that much different than here. Like it gets dark around 10:00. So my question is how late does it get dark in Southeast Alaska? Preferably in early June / late May, if anyone knows.

If you go to http://www.weather.com, put in the name or zip code of the city (99901 Ketchikan, 99801 Juneau, 99840 Skagway), go to "yesterday", scroll down to "averages & records", select a month and it shows the sunrise and sunset times for that particular city and also temperature information. Hope this helps!

when we went to Alaska in July of 2003, the sun was so bright in Fairbanks that at 10 and 11 at night, it "looked" as if it was maybe 2 PM.

I had some difficulty sleeping, despite having room darkening draperies. No light was coming through, but I "knew" it was light outside. I was up every half hour to peek out the window. When we left Fairbanks and started travelling south, I was down to looking out the window every 2 hours or so. By the time we were in Anchorage and sailing, I didn't notice a thing, despite having a balcony cabin. Anchorage at 11 PM "looked" to be like Eastern time in the summer, maybe 9 ish. Just getting twilighty.

Archived