Pride of America Review July 17-23, 2010 plus pictures

kingpgmr

I know you didn't have an opportunity due to your shortened trip, but if you could, would you have driven into Waimea Canyon after flying over it? I'm debating whether or not that would be redundant.

It's a beautiful canyon so seeing it from different perspectives would have appealed to me if we had the time. That said, Kauai has alot to offer so you might want to go with a different activitity. It's really up to you and what you enjoy!!!

I enjoyed your review as well. And made notes of some of the places/tour guides you mentioned. Thank you.

I lived on Oahu as a teen - but haven't been back in a very long time. We are doing Alaska next year, and my DDs have begged to do Hawaii next. It has been fun to relive some places through research.

Your family is lovely - your wife has a wonderful smile!

Thanks for the kinds words. I'm glad that my review was helpful and interesting for you!

Thanks so much for posting your review and pictures. I really enjoyed reading it. Thanks also for your review of Mac 24/7. We had also seen it on the Food Channel and was considering trying it. I think we'll cross it off the list though.

Yeah, I was really excited to go there and was disappointed. It wasn't awful or anything but I was expecting more. If you like seafood at all then I highly recommend Nico's on Pier 38. Also, eggs n things has much better pancakes than Mac 24/7!

My favorite vacation ever!!!!!!

I have to agree with you there.:) I did get scenery overload after the 2nd day of tours, though!:eek:

I am having a hard time imagining how Hawaii can top Alaska, but I am sure it will also be breath taking. Thank you once again for the review and pictures. I am just beginning to plan out our excursions. You gave me a lot to think about. I was considering doing the VNP with Robert's, but Ricky sounds like a good (smaller & more personal) option. There will be 6 of us altogether, but I am not sure how many will do the tour at this point.

Then again, just renting a car there is another option. I like the economy and convenience of a rental car, but we learned so much more in Alaska from our wonderful tour guides and got so much more out of each day than if we had done it alone.......:confused: I am inclined to rent a car in Maui as we would have it for two days. I know we want to do a morning Molokini snorkel on day 2 in Maui and having a car would be very convenient for getting to the snorkle tour early. Decisions........

I have to agree with you there.:) I did get scenery overload after the 2nd day of tours, though!:eek:

I am having a hard time imagining how Hawaii can top Alaska, but I am sure it will also be breath taking. .

For us Hawaii did not top Alaska. We enjoyed it, appreciated it, but it is Alaska we want to go back to, not Hawaii. We are more rugged type people, camped most of our married lives and just preferred Alaska. We are not beach or hot weather people. It is good our earth offers so much variety so we can all find those special places that we enjoy. Now, just need to try to budget so we can get ourselves back to Alaska.

This was a fantastic review and the pics were terrific. Thanks for taking so much time to help out future sailers (we're going in October). Can't wait to have the Hula pie at Duke's, and we'll adjust our trip to do Dole longer (on own)... and the Dole Whip! If we're not really good terrain drivers, should we still do the movie tour? Weren't Lost fans either, but love to see how movies are made, and love the other movies. What do you think. We're 60 years old, very active, but not nuts about ATD cars. BTW, my sister is going on the same trip and staying at the Hilton Hawaiian Hotel - starting next week. She'll LOVE your review, as I did. Thanks again, and keep the info comin'... if you can.

Living in Paradise,

Chuck & Phyllis

This was a fantastic review and the pics were terrific. Thanks for taking so much time to help out future sailers (we're going in October). Can't wait to have the Hula pie at Duke's, and we'll adjust our trip to do Dole longer (on own)... and the Dole Whip! If we're not really good terrain drivers, should we still do the movie tour? Weren't Lost fans either, but love to see how movies are made, and love the other movies. What do you think. We're 60 years old, very active, but not nuts about ATD cars. BTW, my sister is going on the same trip and staying at the Hilton Hawaiian Hotel - starting next week. She'll LOVE your review, as I did. Thanks again, and keep the info comin'... if you can.

Living in Paradise,

Chuck & Phyllis

I'd still recommend the Lost tour even if you aren't fans of the show as the movie locations are all scenic and very interesting. The tour is mostly over paved roads and only goes onto a rougher dirt type road for a short segment. The vehicle is a hummer though so it's a bit of a chore climbing in and out but nothing horrible and the driver helped us when needed. I'd still suggest you try the tour as the scenary was breathtaking!

Archived