Kids on formal nights?etc etc

Tracy67

Hooray, the pennys finally dropped! Many of OV's past customers have been asking and saying this for over a year now, but you (and others) said "it will never happen" and have been dead set against it. It now sounds as if you want to lose the two ships to keep the "full formality" on the rest of the fleet, and distance them from the P&O brand.

Now OV has nearly run it's course and the company is trying to keep the custom you are prepared to accept casualities in order to retain the "formality", which is only what OV customers wanted from the start. Unfortunately the "OV infestation" will now spread throughout the fleet and not be contained to 2 ships, so now you will have to share your tables with the tracksuited, footballshirted, short and jean wearing public on formal nights and have to switch to someone like Cunard in order to cruise with like minded people, which will cost you more!

If only someone had provided a cure before the contagen had spread the problem could have been nipped in the bud........ happy cruising!:eek:

The 'someone ' being p&o I presume, not really my problem,,,,don't assume the mostly P&O cruisers onboard their p&o ship will let this happen. Perhaps if you wish to sail on our fleet you should be the one making the effort to conform, not just expect us to loose what we already have? You sound almost glee full that you are breaking up our formal nights - how nice:eek:

I don't think anyone would really want you to stop wearing a ball gown/ formal wear if that is what you choose - but if Ventura and Oceana are being sold as the best alternative to us on board Ocean Village and the P&O brochure actually describes Ventura as "informal" then we should be able to choose to wear smart casual.

We promise we will not be in the MDR on formal night but we will probably try it at least once during our holiday to see what the fuss is about - although I don't like lobster or beef wellington! I'd prefer a nice piece of swordfish or fillet steak.

When my husband wears his shorts we will eat in the buffet - we have been told that this is ok by P&O staff. The people on these forums are probably less than 1% who actually cruise and will be those who have the strongest opinions. When my son wears shorts or jeans - which will be 100% of the time he will be with his new found friends in the kids clubs.

Oh yes ...........I was interested to read that you like to see men in kilts - so you can't be too opposed to seeing a bit of leg!:p

Oh my Oh my ....... I`m needed on here ... and no mistake ! . .;)

Should I bother to take my Tux ? ... or should I bother to take my T Shirt with a `Print` of a Tux , Dress Shirt & Bow Tie ? . Oh ! and my Addias shorts do have a stripe down the side ( Actually Three stripes ).

No I think I will stick with dressing up ... and not take my Seven Sovereign rings and Rappers chain !...:p

At your service

The Cap`n ..x

I don't think anyone would really want you to stop wearing a ball gown/ formal wear if that is what you choose - but if Ventura and Oceana are being sold as the best alternative to us on board Ocean Village and the P&O brochure actually describes Ventura as "informal" then we should be able to choose to wear smart casual.

We promise we will not be in the MDR on formal night but we will probably try it at least once during our holiday to see what the fuss is about - although I don't like lobster or beef wellington! I'd prefer a nice piece of swordfish or fillet steak.

When my husband wears his shorts we will eat in the buffet - we have been told that this is ok by P&O staff. The people on these forums are probably less than 1% who actually cruise and will be those who have the strongest opinions. When my son wears shorts or jeans - which will be 100% of the time he will be with his new found friends in the kids clubs.

Oh yes ...........I was interested to read that you like to see men in kilts - so you can't be too opposed to seeing a bit of leg!:p

I don't see why you should be able to wear smart casual. If there is a dress code on a certain night then why should you not have to conform to it. If you don't like the dress code why sail on P&O.

I just don't get it?...

I don't see why you should be able to wear smart casual. If there is a dress code on a certain night then why should you not have to conform to it. If you don't like the dress code why sail on P&O.

I just don't get it?...

P&O have a "60's and 70's night, less than 1% of passengers adhere to it, a country and western night, less than 1% of passengers dress up for it and an hawaiian night in which a few men put on garish shirts that they've worn every cruise since 1963....... So why do they continue to have these nights if hardly anyone bothers?

I just don't get it!...:rolleyes:

P&O have a "60's and 70's night, less than 1% of passengers adhere to it, a country and western night, less than 1% of passengers dress up for it and an hawaiian night in which a few men put on garish shirts that they've worn every cruise since 1963....... So why do they continue to have these nights if hardly anyone bothers?

I just don't get it!...:rolleyes:

But are they actually dress codes? or themed nights where there is still an underlying dress code.

I totally agree that these theme nights are a waste of time

But are they actually dress codes? or themed nights where there is still an underlying dress code.

I totally agree that these theme nights are a waste of time

They are "suggested" forms of attire, just like formal nights have "suggested" forms of attire. If you cruised pre 1980 and wore formal attire and turned up in anything else but a black bow tie you would have been ridiculed, now anything "formal" goes red bow ties, union jack waist coasts, clip on ties (aaagggghhhhh), cuff links that look like Homer Simpson. So how far do you go, shall P&O stop those people dining in red braces or purple cumerbunds or god forbid without a white handkerchief in their best pocket?

Most of these people look rediculous anyway, with no dress sense or colour co-ordination abilities and certainly have no class, otherwise they'd be cruising with Cunard, who do have a black tie policy (and say so!)

T

Most of these people look rediculous anyway, with no dress sense or colour co-ordination abilities and certainly have no class, otherwise they'd be cruising with Cunard, who do have a black tie policy (and say so!)

You are my hero Rosebaskets. I too have been saying the same thing for many a year. Its the hard nosed P&O people who dont seem to get it that their cruise line is being dumbed down to a cheepo cruise.

its always the same ones on here backing P&O to the hilt. I dont know why they bother.

But the suggested form of attire for a formal night is dark suit or DJ. To me that's the minimum. Doesn't say anything about colours of bow ties regardless of how ridiculous they look! Lol

I really hope they don't change ventura to be a totally informal ship as I enjoy the couple of formal nights dressing up. Maybe if P&O make a decision and make it one way or another then everyone knows where they are. At the moment though it is what it is and everyone should respect the dress codes aboard.

I am not a hard nosed P&O person but if there is a dress code I want it to be adhered to. It's one of the reasons I book Ventura a little bit of formailty but not over the top.

If people don't want formality why book a ship that states up front it has a dress code in all public areas ?

You are my hero Rosebaskets. I too have been saying the same thing for many a year. Its the hard nosed P&O people who dont seem to get it that their cruise line is being dumbed down to a cheepo cruise.

its always the same ones on here backing P&O to the hilt. I dont know why they bother.

You have answered your own question .. some people do not want P&O to be 'dumbed down to a cheapo cruise' like OV. Most P&O customers want and expect a higher level of service, entertainment and food. Those customers have helped shape and define the company P&O is today and they feel aggrieved at others trying to change their product, especially since they perceive that change to be for the worse.

Never fear though, British society will always find a way to dumb itself down to that of the lowest common denominator.

The main point I have tried to make on here is that we have been told on OV (by the P&O rep) that shorts and other casual wear will be ok in the buffets on Ventura and Oceana. To confirm what had been said in the presentation we actually went to the P&O sales desk, my husband was wearing knee length shorts and a polo. I asked the sales woman will it be ok for him to wear what he was wearing right then and she said in the buffet and some bars and theatres yes but not the MDR or champagne bar.

To call OV a "cheapo cruise" is ridiculous! Ocean Village is far, far more expensive than P&O.

P&O is OUR cheapo cruise! £1650 for 1 week for 2 adults and 2 kids in school holidays compared to £4800 for 2 weeks on OV!:p

If Ventura and Oceana are being pushed like mad on OV and they are selling off cabins in school holidays with free kid places or just paying 10% for under 16s AND giving away double on board credit then people on OV will book.

We have booked and we will not be taking suits, but we won't eat in the MDR on formal night because we have been told that we shouldn't.

I don't get why some people on here think that those who do not want to dress up are somehow inferior. The ship sounds like it is big enough for everyone.

I hope no-one is implying that you are inferior for not wishing to dress up, however the reality is that most people do dress up when the dress code suggests it and most (adult) men wear long trousers throughout the ship in the evening rather than shorts. To tell you any differently would be to do you a disservice.

You are quite right in that Ventura is a huge ship with room for all, and I hope you all enjoy your cruise.

Carol x

I am certainly not implying that anyone is inferior for not wishing to dress up. It is very much a personal decision but what I disagree with is people told they can wear smart casual on a formal night everywhere except the main dining room or champagne bar when the dress code states otherwise. This is an issue for P&O to resolve because if they advertise a certain dress code in their brochure and people book on this basis then it is up to P&O to enforce it on these nights.

Hi

I have got this quote from the Carnival report to shareholders 2010:

We expect strong bookings for the year as we will be promoting

“the last chance to cruise with...” while, at the same time, we will

begin to promote (jointly with P&O Cruises) to past Ocean Village

passengers the options of cruises on Oceana and Ventura which

offer some aspects of a casual, relaxed style of cruising.

(Thanks to Single Cruiser who posted it earlier in the year.)

If P&O are doing this then Oceana and Ventura are going to have very confused passengers.:rolleyes:

I personally don't mind sitting next to someone in formal wear - it won't spoil my evening at all.

Have a lovely cruise.:) I think Ov casual dressing cruisers may have a better cruise on Thomson, but ofcourse that ship won't be promoted onboard OV as its not part of the Carnival PLc brand, and Carnival are now trying to capture the lost OV cruise market.

Tracy67

I think that you have been lied to to get your booking. Ventura is a more casual ship in that it only has for formal nights and the rest are smart casual. Shorts are acceptable during the day but in the evenings long trousers are required for men even in the buffet and other public rooms usually after 6pm. Check the P&O website under dining questions.

"Smart Casual

Stylish resort or leisurewear is ideal, for example casual separates or dresses for ladies and open-neck polo shirts and casual trousers (not shorts) for men. A jacket and smart trousers may be worn but are not compulsory. Smart dark denim may be worn however we request that the following items are not worn: sportswear, e.g. trainers, football shirts and tracksuits. Bring your brightest clothes for our Tropical evenings. (Applies to all ships.)"

So it may be worth packing a pair of trousers for hubby just in case. Either way enjoy your cruise the kids will have a great time and hopefully you and hubby can too.:)

To call OV a "cheapo cruise" is ridiculous! Ocean Village is far, far more expensive than P&O.

P&O is OUR cheapo cruise!

I don't get why some people on here think that those who do not want to dress up are somehow inferior. The ship sounds like it is big enough for everyone.

Thats always been my point when i discuss this with friends off the forum. P&O is by far a Cheepo cruise. It may have been an excellent cruise line, for setting standards, in the past, but now it is a brand name only.

By not dressing up on formal nights does NOT make you inferior. In fact there are cruise lines in the US and there marketing policy is aimed at country house style, IE no dress up, just smart casual.

Someone else here mentioned Thomson cruises. They are not pretending to be a superior cruise line like P&O, in fact Thomson are apparently proud to boast that they are value for money cruising. However the old-style cruisers of the P&O brand should wake up to the fact that Carnival Corp have run down their cruise line to being a regional carrier of cheepo cruise destinations.

Have a lovely cruise.:) I think Ov casual dressing cruisers may have a better cruise on Thomson.

Obviously you've never been on Thomson! Formal night on Thomson is a grand affair, pax wear new fashionable formal wear, they give away free drinks at the Capt.s cocktail party, each pax is introduced to the capt and senior crew at a reception.

Those who dine on Thomsons formal night are generally MUCH better dressed than those on P&O and it attracts hardly any casually dressed diners. That's the trouble with the constant whingers on this site, they don't have any experience of the cruise lines they comment on, or critisise not knowing the full facts.

The trouble with P&O formal cruise nights is that the same passengers wear the same clothes they cruised in year after year, after year, after year and wear their best outfits that have been mothballed from one year to the other, so what was fashionable in 1973 is still the norm. If you want a "Life on Mars" experience minus Gene Hunt, then P&O formal nights are the place to be!!!;)

So if people on Thomson Cruises get dressed up on formal night and there are hardly any casual dressers why are there people who board P&O ships and think they don't have to stick to the dress code after 6pm in all public rooms?

So if people on Thomson Cruises get dressed up on formal night and there are hardly any casual dressers why are there people who board P&O ships and think they don't have to stick to the dress code after 6pm in all public rooms?

AaaaaaaaGGGGGHHHHHHHH:mad: Better class of people on Thomson?

It's a choice..... Thomson usually attract 1st time cruisers who like the experience and are keen to "conform", hence everyone dresses up. Ocean Village cruisers are prodominantly people who want to go on holiday on a ship and wear what they want, whenever they want, do what they want, when it suits them.

Geeze, it's a holiday people, not the Last Night of the Proms or Eton. OV customers just want to go on holiday on a ship and not have to "conform"

What OV cruisers want is "normal" hotel on a ship that goes to different places each day, what could be easier to understand than that?:rolleyes:

Have you ever been on a package holiday and dressed formally for dinner?

(If you have answered yes...... get a life!):eek:

No need to get so defensive I asked a perfectly simple question.

If they don't want it why do they choose to go on a ship that has these "rules". If they don't like it why bother. Go on a ship that doesn't have the rules?

This is such hard work!

OV passengers are being told by P&O staff that they can wear smart casual on formal nights everywhere except the MDR!!!! (And wear shorts and jeans in the buffets)

That is why we are booking to go on Ventura. Every single week OV passengers are being bombarded with adverts and presentations and tempting prices to sail on the two "casual and informal ships of the P&O fleet"

Archived