"stealing " with the beverage package

CLEMM

I am stunned to see that on the sticky above there are posters who actually believe that giving a drink from your beverage package to a person who did not purchase a package is not stealing, and are defending the practice as being "built into the price." I have a hard enough time accepting dress code violators, but THIS? I am worried that the price of the beverage packages will go sky high or the packages will be eliminated all together if there are too many cruisers who feel that stealing is acceptable. I hope Celebrity will take action against any cruisers attempting this so that the practice does not become the trend, as in the relaxation of the dress code.

I'm with you, but I refrained from answering in the beverage thread.

It's a crime, and I'm not sure how anyone can justify it. Is it a petty crime? Sure. It's either theft of goods or theft of services, and it's obviously a small amount - but would these same people walk out of the ship's store with a pack of gum or a deck of cards or a candy bar they didn't pay for and justify it by saying that the ship "expects some shrinkage"?

What is the difference?

How can it be stealing if the package is paid for??

We were thinking of getting one but don't know if DH would drink enough in one day to justify the price. I am unable to drink hardly any alcohol and no carbonated beverages. How would it be so wrong for him to get me one drink every 3rd or 4th day?

I am stunned to see that on the sticky above there are posters who actually believe that giving a drink from your beverage package to a person who did not purchase a package is not stealing, and are defending the practice as being "built into the price." I have a hard enough time accepting dress code violators, but THIS? I am worried that the price of the beverage packages will go sky high or the packages will be eliminated all together if there are too many cruisers who feel that stealing is acceptable. I hope Celebrity will take action against any cruisers attempting this so that the practice does not become the trend, as in the relaxation of the dress code.

Stunned? Nah. Those who scam the system always have an easy time rationalizing their behavior and sometimes do such a good job, they almost have you convinced you're either an idiot or you're at fault for playing by the rules.

Because the package is designed for one person. If you or your husband don't drink enough separately to justify the cost, then don't buy it.

"Stealing"... How about 'minding one's own business'. Worry worry worry... (some one uses or abuses a drink package in this way, it'll cost me... somehow... someday... yikes).

I wonder how many contemplating this are at work...

Because the package is designed for one person. If you or your husband don't drink enough separately to justify the cost, then don't buy it.

What if individually people would only buy 1 and 2 drinks per day, but buying e.g. the soda package is equivalent to 4 drinks per day? Celebrity has actually gained in that instance.

The issue is related to individuals; there's no global answer. One person might drink 15 drinks of soft drink a day. They're really getting value from the line far exceeding the alternative cost. Does that mean they're stealing? No, since there's no limit.

Practically - economically - I don't see that it's such an issue in the example above of one drink every 3-4 days. Celebrity may still wind up ahead compared to the alternative anyway!

Jebl, I know it doesn't seem like much for you to have a couple of drinks in a week but it's wrong because you have paid for one person to have the package. Others might be tempted to really take advantage and make that more than a few drinks over a weeks time. If everyone supplied drinks to others from their package, that adds up to quite a few drinks across the whole of Celebrity's fleet.

I don't understand why people feel the need to push the envelope in such matters as this and smuggling booze on board. Rules are in place for a purpose - can't we just respect them? It's not as if people on cruises are destitute and couldn't afford to purchase individual drinks on board. What happened to integrity?

I don't mean to attack you personally - I hope you're not offended by my response.

Two people go to a buffet resteraunt and one person get the buffet and one person gets water. Every time through the line, half the food on the plate is eaten by the water drinker. Sounds like there is a thief in the house. Same applies to drink packages. As an owner of the company, I certainly don't want to see theft of any kind! It hurts my bottom line. If you don't like the idea of having to pay a high price for the package, buy by the drink or go on all inclusive vacations.

"Stealing"... How about 'minding one's own business'. Worry worry worry... (some one uses or abuses a drink package in this way, it'll cost me... somehow... someday... yikes).

Are you supporting the equivalent of shoplifting even though it's just a little pack of gum? Sounds like a guilty conscious to me.

We were thinking of getting one but don't know if DH would drink enough in one day to justify the price. I am unable to drink hardly any alcohol and no carbonated beverages. How would it be so wrong for him to get me one drink every 3rd or 4th day?

Surely you jest! What makes "every 3rd or 4th day" permissible? How about every 2nd or 3rd day? How about three drinks on the first day and then no drinks until the last day when you get two? The bottom line is that the beverage package (like a shore excursion, spa treatment or admission to a pay-to-play class or instruction) is sold to a passenger - not to a couple, not to a family, not to a group of friends, not to a cabin and not to any unit other than a passenger. You can rationalize all you wish but sharing, or whatever else you choose to call it, is cheating.

IMHO, the all in drink packages will always be at a cost to the consumer where the cruiseline is making money from it regardless of how it's used.

I am sure a whole bunch of smart people sat in a room and fully discussed all of the scenarios related to an all in drink package from those who don't use it to the full extent, to those who do, and to those who gift to others using their package. They are not in any way prepared to have this be a losing financial proposition.

I would be totally shocked if the cruiseline did not think this through fully before implementing.

Judy

It always amazes me how someone with a differing opinion refers to those with an opposing viewpoint as judgemental. Perhaps we should all look the other way at stowaways. What's the difference? The non payer can just share the cabin with the person who paid for it. Same thing. Then, when the prices all go up we will wonder why.

How is what anyone does as to their drinking and their bar tender, ANY OF MY BUSINESS??

I could extrapolate a TON of hypotheticals that - on some other planet of cruise line corporate finance - impacts me (sort of, maybe, not). I might as well be judgmental about wave height...

Sometimes these threads are truly insane.

So, say you're sitting at the bar and someone with a package orders a drink, then turns away for a moment. The bartender puts the drink on the bar, and you grab it and walk away.

The person who ordered it turns back around & their drink is gone. They get another one.

Did you steal it?

I mean, the person who ordered the drink paid for the package, so the replacement drink didn't cost THEM anything, right? So therefore, your walking away with their drink isn't really theft.

That's what you're saying. I am willing to bet that you would be appalled if someone did that. Most of us would.

Perhaps we should all look the other way at stowaways.

NOW HOLD ON... Those are my kids you're talking about!! (Er, 'carry on luggage' I mean.):D

Yep - I'm tripping over those stoweaways ALL the time!

I'm glad this is a 'reality' based thread!:D:D

IMHO, the all in drink packages will always be at a cost to the consumer where the cruiseline is making money from it regardless of how it's used.

I am sure a whole bunch of smart people sat in a room and fully discussed all of the scenarios related to an all in drink package from those who don't use it to the full extent, to those who do, and to those who gift to others using their package. They are not in any way prepared to have this be a losing financial proposition.

I would be totally shocked if the cruiseline did not think this through fully before implementing.

Judy

The fact that they know people will steal and have built in some allowance for 'shrinkage' does not make the theft any less a theft.

All retail stores have a margin built in for loss & theft of their goods - does that make it ok to steal from them, since they're not really going to lose, at the end of the day? I mean, Starbucks sells a $.25 cup of coffee for $8, if you take a $2.50 muffin off the tray and walk out without paying for it, they are STILL way ahead, so it's not really theft, right?

How about if I buy a ticket at the theater? I should be able to just bring a bunch of folks in with me without paying, because they're making their profit on me, and it doesn't cost them any additional to run a movie for the 300 people in the auditorium who paid to see it, and the 310 that are there because I let a bunch of friends sneak in through the exit door. So it's not like it's REALLY stealing.

How is what anyone does as to their drinking and their bar tender, ANY OF MY BUSINESS??

I could extrapolate a TON of hypotheticals that - on some other planet of cruise line corporate finance - impacts me (sort of, maybe, not). I might as well be judgmental about wave height...

Sometimes these threads are truly insane.

What if this practice of two people "sharing" one drink card eventually leads to the program's prices being increased or the program being eliminated altogether? If that impacts your pocket, would it then be everyone's business? Would a restaurant buffet allow a patron to pay for one but then allow that patron to bring plates of food to a friend who didn't pay?

Of course this kind of thing is our business because it very well could affect everyone who participates in the program.

Apparently its only stealing if it is your money. If it is the cruiseline's money it doesn't matter. Sigh. It will be interesting to see what Celebrity's definition of stealing is when someone is caught. I would think at the very least the person would be required to pay for the drink. At the very worst...... we'll have to wait and see I guess.

What if this practice of two people "sharing" one drink card eventually leads to the program's prices being increased or the program being eliminated altogether? If that impacts your pocket, would it then be everyone's business? Would a restaurant buffet allow a patron to pay for one but then allow that patron to bring plates of food to a friend who didn't pay?

Of course this kind of thing is our business because it very well could affect everyone who participates in the program.

Yes - 'very well could effect'; 'Chaos Theory' certainly keeps one busy policing the universe eh?

Fortunately, neither I nor (stoweaway) family have ever purchased these packages. So - taking the large view (as one is invited to do here) those that purchase these and use them amply are boosting the lines pricing cost needs as to the retail drink to my detriment, or in another way... I'm subsidizing these drink packages... No matter how you crunch it though...

I'M HOLIER THAN THOU!:D;):D

The fact that they know people will steal and have built in some allowance for 'shrinkage' does not make the theft any less a theft.

All retail stores have a margin built in for loss & theft of their goods - does that make it ok to steal from them, since they're not really going to lose, at the end of the day? I mean, Starbucks sells a $.25 cup of coffee for $8, if you take a $2.50 muffin off the tray and walk out without paying for it, they are STILL way ahead, so it's not really theft, right?

How about if I buy a ticket at the theater? I should be able to just bring a bunch of folks in with me without paying, because they're making their profit on me, and it doesn't cost them any additional to run a movie for the 300 people in the auditorium who paid to see it, and the 310 that are there because I let a bunch of friends sneak in through the exit door. So it's not like it's REALLY stealing.

I did not want to engage in the "stealing or not stealing" debate. I just wanted to make the point that cruiselines, and as you pointed out pretty much all businesses, have to look at all business issues.

Judy (who's now wondering why she bothered giving an opinion at all)

I did not want to engage in the "stealing or not stealing" debate. I just wanted to make the point that cruiselines, and as you pointed out pretty much all businesses, have to look at all business issues.

Judy (who's now wondering why she bothered giving an opinion at all)

I apologize if I misinterpreted your reply, you appeared to be stating that the cruiselines "expect" there to be shrinkage, therefore, it isn't a big deal.

If that's not what you're saying, then I read it wrong.

It's wrong because we all end up paying for it in the end and I don't want to pay for someone else's drinks. We all need to pay for our own.

IMO, it's wrong even if "we" don't end up paying for it, and Celebrity simply eats the costs because they budgeted for it.

Stealing is stealing, and I was raised to believe it is wrong regardless of the circumstances surrounding it.

Archived