"stealing " with the beverage package

CLEMM

One caveat to the last example: Upon the first sip you must really wrinkle your face and announce in a loud voice 'yuck this isn't what I thought it would taste like. I'm going to have to pour it out' . Once you are sure that everyone nearby has noticed your displeasure and they are convinced you had no intention, before that sip, of sharing the drink then you can give it to your partner.

Funny!! :D

Again, I'm not condoning sharing but seriously do you think that the woman who posted about her husband getting the package and who orders her one drink every 3rd or 4th day is the moral equal to someone who steals a small diamond from a store? If you do, we'll have to agree to disagree. :D

That may be true but when your baby arrives I hope you can think of the answer to every questionable situation. It's much easier to start with absolutes.:)

That may be true but when your baby arrives I hope you can think of the answer to every questionable situation. It's much easier to start with absolutes.:)

I have to disagree. For ex. If my child was hiking and found him/herself in a terrible situation: injured, lost and alone and he/she found a closed ranger's station with medical supplies, food and a phone. Would I want my child to have these absolutes in their mind?

I can't break in because that would be wrong.

I can't take that food because that would stealing.

I can use that phone to call long distance without permission.

No. I would hope that I had done a good job of teaching values and common sense and they would know how to use their own good judgment. And like I said I don't necessarily condone sharing but I think a sip or two is not a big deal and I believe each person can decipher the gray areas for themselves and Celebrity can enforce it however they choose to. JMO.

I have to disagree. For ex. If my child was hiking and found him/herself in a terrible situation: injured, lost and alone and he/she found a closed ranger's station with medical supplies, food and a phone. Would I want my child to have these absolutes in their mind?

I can't break in because that would be wrong.

I can't take that food because that would stealing.

I can use that phone to call long distance without permission.

I don't think this compares to the issue at hand.

I think I said it's better to "start" with absolutes. Of course we all teach our children what to do in an emergency. I think you know what I'm talking about.

While I respect you are going to "start" by teaching your child "absolutes" I'm going to stick with teaching my child "values" instead.

Back on topic, I'll leave it to Celebrity to decide how to handle the sharing situation but I agree with Alsmez these are gray areas and I have to laugh at how many people think they are right and others are wrong when there are so many variables. So many people here seem to think their absolutes are the right ones and that anyone who thinks differently is wrong. But we can agree to disagree.

I'm sorry if I offended you. I raised four of mine plus a few that needed a little help along the way and have 7 grandchildren. Fortunately for me, they all turned out very well.

I think you'll know what I was talking about some day; at any rate I wish you many wonderful times with your precious baby.:)

But we can agree to disagree.

I disagree; we must agree. Wait. That means that we do not agree. If I agree to disagree, do we agree? Wait. If we agree, that means that we disagree. Wait. If we disagree, and you say we can agree to disagree, I'm saying we cannot agree to disagree, and therefore must disagree. Or is it agree?

I need something from the drink package.:rolleyes::D

I agree with you, but wouldn't the TRULY moral/ethical/honest thing to do be to go back to the bar and ask to pay for the drink since the package holder isn't drinking it? :)

Actually some of the "truly MORAL" people would say - don't drink in the first place. ;)

PS - Disclaim by the above definition I'm NOT truly moral :P

I took a sip of DW's fountain Coke once(one of the drink card variety)...there were extenuating circumstances. I was choking on a pill. Maybe the judge will let me off with a warning or a suspended sentence.

It depends on who your judge is...someone on THIS board and you're going to the pokey for a long time..... ;)

..Back on topic, I'll leave it to Celebrity to decide how to handle the sharing situation but I agree with Alsmez these are gray areas and I have to laugh at how many people think they are right and others are wrong when there are so many variables...

Celebrity did decide how to handle the sharing situation. The package information simply says: no sharing. Just because they don't have inspectors and drink police doesn't meant that "no sharing" actually means that a shared drink now and then is OK.

Of course a "sip" is perfectly acceptable, that is just common sense. But if someone says "will you get me a drink" or "let me get you a drink" and the "purchaser" uses a card that isn't for the consumer to get the drink then that is not OK. At least in my book it isn't. If anyone beleives there is some confusion over this topic maybe they should email Celebrity and ask if by "no sharing" they mean "no sharing" or "not a lot of sharing but a little is OK" - I think I know what their answer would be.

By the way, your example about someone lost in the wilderness not taking food and shelter from a ranger station is ridiculous. I'm sure you wouldn't teach your child to steal a soda from the 7-11 every month or two just so they'd be prepared to take life saving measures in drastic situation and to compare it to the drink sharing/stealing discussion doesn't make any sense.

I'm sorry if I offended you. I raised four of mine plus a few that needed a little help along the way and have 7 grandchildren. Fortunately for me, they all turned out very well.

I think you'll know what I was talking about some day; at any rate I wish you many wonderful times with your precious baby.:)

Thanks Ma, I'm sure I will change my mind a lot as I learn my way with raising my new babe(s). I appreciate the kind wishes. :)

I disagree; we must agree. Wait. That means that we do not agree. If I agree to disagree, do we agree? Wait. If we agree, that means that we disagree. Wait. If we disagree, and you say we can agree to disagree, I'm saying we cannot agree to disagree, and therefore must disagree. Or is it agree?

I need something from the drink package.:rolleyes::D

I agree. No wait, I'm pregnant, I must disagree. :(:D

Celebrity did decide how to handle the sharing situation. The package information simply says: no sharing. Just because they don't have inspectors and drink police doesn't meant that "no sharing" actually means that a shared drink now and then is OK.

Of course a "sip" is perfectly acceptable, that is just common sense. But if someone says "will you get me a drink" or "let me get you a drink" and the "purchaser" uses a card that isn't for the consumer to get the drink then that is not OK. At least in my book it isn't. If anyone beleives there is some confusion over this topic maybe they should email Celebrity and ask if by "no sharing" they mean "no sharing" or "not a lot of sharing but a little is OK" - I think I know what their answer would be.

By the way, your example about someone lost in the wilderness not taking food and shelter from a ranger station is ridiculous. I'm sure you wouldn't teach your child to steal a soda from the 7-11 every month or two just so they'd be prepared to take life saving measures in drastic situation and to compare it to the drink sharing/stealing discussion doesn't make any sense.

My comparison was not ridiculous if you read the post I was responding to. But Ma Bell and I have worked out our differences so all is good. But I don't mind if you call me ridiculous I've been called many worse names on the Carnival board by people who are in favor of smuggling rum runners but think entering your cabin at 1:29 is a cardinal sin. This place is much more civil. :D

Actually some of the "truly MORAL" people would say - don't drink in the first place. ;)

PS - Disclaim by the above definition I'm NOT truly moral :P

I will be a saint by the time I give birth... no drinkie-drinks for me for more than seven months. :rolleyes: Actually it's not that big of a deal but just knowing I can't drink makes me want to. Must be the rebel in me. :D

... But I don't mind if you call me ridiculous ...

I certainly wasn't calling you ridiculous - just the analogy. Hey this particular thread is a "debate" thread more or less, so we're debating.

I wish all a great cruise!!

Can someone explain to me why there are (a lot of ) people on the Celebrity board who continually mock people who take Carnival cruises?

Jerry/Shelly, I'll answer for myself only. Having been on 4 Canival cruises (which was 3 too many) I really didn't/don't fit in with the average Carnival cruiser. On most of those Carnival cruises people were concerned with Party, Party, Party....Drink...Drink...Drink...LOUD....LOUD....LOUD!!!

I know who I am and what I want and that is to NOT be around the typical Carnival passenger. Call me snooty, a snob, etc., but I'm honest about it. I have totally different standards that most of the Carnival passengers that I encountered and I don't care if you GAVE me a FREE Carnival cruise - I wouldn't go....

Now back to your regular programming....

What if maybe I did not take just a sip. DW got the drink for herself-that was her intent. When she lay down on the lounge, she put the drink down to get her book. I pounced and drank half of it (being the inconsiderate and selfish DH that I am). I even complained that there was no lemon in the Coke after being found out (in an unsuccessful attempt to change the subject).

Would she have to do the time because she did the crime or would lack of intent let her off the hook? Don't forget, we could be in international waters.

Jerry/Shelly, I'll answer for myself only. Having been on 4 Canival cruises (which was 3 too many) I really didn't/don't fit in with the average Carnival cruiser. On most of those Carnival cruises people were concerned with Party, Party, Party....Drink...Drink...Drink...LOUD....LOUD....LOUD!!!

I know who I am and what I want and that is to NOT be around the typical Carnival passenger. Call me snooty, a snob, etc., but I'm honest about it. I have totally different standards that most of the Carnival passengers that I encountered and I don't care if you GAVE me a FREE Carnival cruise - I wouldn't go....

Now back to your regular programming....

Raising hand... I'll take it. :D Even with their lack of non-smoking balcony cabins you can't argue with a free cruise.

Hint for you: If you don't like Party, Party, Drink, Drink.. get up before the sun rises and go to bed by 11ish. And avoid the pool with the contests. If you follow those simple rules you can have a great time on a Carnival cruise. Well... unless you're a HUGE snob, then I can't help you. But the thing I like about Celebrity snobs, is they have the money to back it up. Royal Caribbean you find more faux snobs. They don't earn any more than Carnival guests but they think they're better. :D JMO, of course.

Archived