QM2 Best Spot for Morning Coffee

scoobydu33

We'll be embarking on our first Cunard cruise in September on the QM2 and so looking forward to the adventure. We've previously cruised on Princess and Celebrity and have purchased the coffee card for that morning cup of adrenalin. Where do you recommend I go for the best cup of morning coffee? Or does the QM2 offer a coffee card? Appreciate all your guidance.

We'll be embarking on our first Cunard cruise in September on the QM2 and so looking forward to the adventure. We've previously cruised on Princess and Celebrity and have purchased the coffee card for that morning cup of adrenalin. Where do you recommend I go for the best cup of morning coffee? Or does the QM2 offer a coffee card? Appreciate all your guidance.

Hi Scoobydu. Last time I checked, Cunard did not offer a coffee card. My recommendation would be to sample the coffee in various venues during your voyage, including the main restaurant of the category you booked, Sir Samuels as previously suggested, as well as Kings Court, Room Service and (after 11 am weather permitting) the Boardwalk Cafe. Of course, the best coffee is a matter of personal taste and I'm sure you'll find your favorite. (Full disclosure: the last cup of coffee I drank was on QM2 two years ago; been drinking tea ever since :))

Hope you have a wonderful adventure and a great voyage!

Regards,

Salacia

Perhaps not exactly 'morning' coffee, but after 10:00 am it is beautiful to be at the Commodore Club, specifically just in front of the bar. From there you have wonderful views over the ship's bow while enjoying your coffee - or anything else you like.

The only setback is that it needs a great amount of luck to get a place there. The number of seats is extremely limited.

my husband and i are early risers, and like to have our coffee before we venture out. one of us will go to the king's court and get two cups of coffee to bring back to the cabin and, depending on the weather, enjoy our coffee on the balcony or indoors.

if you are in the grills, there is the concierge lounge, but that coffee is not available until 9h, to the best of my recollection. that's where we have our after breakfast coffee.

Thank you for your suggestions. I tend to get up earlier than my partner, so I head out with my book and my travel mug for coffee. We are booked in a Grill Suite and it sounds like I can get some coffee in the lounge. If they're not open, head up to the buffet. Sir Sammel's sounds terrific as well.

Thank you for your suggestions. I tend to get up earlier than my partner, so I head out with my book and my travel mug for coffee. We are booked in a Grill Suite and it sounds like I can get some coffee in the lounge. If they're not open, head up to the buffet. Sir Sammel's sounds terrific as well.

I can't beleive that a Grill's passenger cannot get a cup of coffee before 9am without having to tram up or down to the Kings Court and suffer their lukewarm offerings along with the rest of the rowers. If I had paid what it costs to travel Grills I would expect to be awakened at a time of my choice by the sound of Kenyan Blue Mountain beans being hand-ground outside my bedroom door by the butler. Or doesn't he start until after 9am either.

An Amazed Gari

one of us will go to the king's court and get two cups of coffee to bring back to the cabin and, depending on the weather, enjoy our coffee on the balcony or indoors.

Why not use room service which is available 24 hours - much easier!. The only exception to this is on the final (disembarkation) morning of your voyage.

I can't beleive that a Grill's passenger cannot get a cup of coffee before 9am without having to tram up or down to the Kings Court and suffer their lukewarm offerings along with the rest of the rowers. If I had paid what it costs to travel Grills I would expect to be awakened at a time of my choice by the sound of Kenyan Blue Mountain beans being hand-ground outside my bedroom door by the butler. Or doesn't he start until after 9am either.

An Amazed Gari

Dear Mr. Goun,

For your information, I would reliably inform you that one's Butler is at your service for 24 hours each day, and will either serve your chosen morning beverage at the pre-requested time, or alternatively within a short period of being contacted on his direct line telephone.

On the other hand, one's Concierge does not arrive at his desk until 0900h, but during his absence guests ringing his direct line telephone will be invited to leave a message, which will receive his attention at the earliest possible convenience.

Incidentally, the hand grinding of the Blue Mountain beans outside one's stateroom door was discontinued some while ago, when the original hand-cranked grinder (dutifully rotated by one's Assistant Butler) finally gave up the ghost when it was irreparably damaged by said operator's pocket watch being inadvertently dropped into the mechanism.

Regards,

David

An Amazed Gari

I will certainly be putting this to the test on my next trip - me wandering the halls sans coffee first thing in the morning is not something that Cunard should encourage!!!

Why not use room service which is available 24 hours - much easier!. The only exception to this is on the final (disembarkation) morning of your voyage.

Dear Mr. Goun,

For your information, I would reliably inform you that one's Butler is at your service for 24 hours each day, and will either serve your chosen morning beverage at the pre-requested time, or alternatively within a short period of being contacted on his direct line telephone.

On the other hand, one's Concierge does not arrive at his desk until 0900h, but during his absence guests ringing his direct line telephone will be invited to leave a message, which will receive his attention at the earliest possible convenience.

Incidentally, the hand grinding of the Blue Mountain beans outside one's stateroom door was discontinued some while ago, when the original hand-cranked grinder (dutifully rotated by one's Assistant Butler) finally gave up the ghost when it was irreparably damaged by said operator's pocket watch being inadvertently dropped into the mechanism.

Regards,

David

Phew! I'm glad you cleared that up for me David. I was extremely worried as I will be winning the lottery this week and I did not want to be disappointed in my choice of future cruise accommodations.

An Expectant Gari

I will second Sir Samuels. Most days on the cruise my son would get me up early, and we'd head down there around 7:30 AM. There was one other person in there every day -- very peaceful with a great view of the sea. The one thing I would add, though, is that you can't get regular drip coffee, as far as I know, only espresso drinks. Their Americano, though, is a lovely substitution, and you can enjoy it with some great complementary mini-pastries.

I am an avid fan of Sir Samuels (though not a coffe drinker my "poison " is tea)

I think however that I had better point out that all passengers have to pay for their beverage in Sir Samuels, but of course they do get to munch free on the lovely croissants and muffins

Early morning, outside, a book and coffee! Heaven. On QM2 my favorite early spot is the small Grill deck aft on 11. Too, have your Butler bring in coffee to your suite just before you rise. A fine way to "ready for the day". En route, replenish in the Concierge Lounge on 9 Deck if the pots are working, if not re-fill @ Kings Court on 7 Deck ... then, up to your lair overlooking the wash!

Hi Scoobydu. Last time I checked, Cunard did not offer a coffee card. My recommendation would be to sample the coffee in various venues during your voyage, including the main restaurant of the category you booked, Sir Samuels as previously suggested, as well as Kings Court, Room Service and (after 11 am weather permitting) the Boardwalk Cafe. Of course, the best coffee is a matter of personal taste and I'm sure you'll find your favorite. (Full disclosure: the last cup of coffee I drank was on QM2 two years ago; been drinking tea ever since :))

Hope you have a wonderful adventure and a great voyage!

Regards,

Salacia

Definately agree, the tea is better. If you travel in the Grills, they have a tea menu to choose your favorite. Still wish they would do loose tea, such as in some of the finer restaurants. I would gladly pay extra for that service.

Definately agree, the tea is better. If you travel in the Grills, they have a tea menu to choose your favorite. Still wish they would do loose tea, such as in some of the finer restaurants. I would gladly pay extra for that service.

Yikes Keithm...you're already paying for Grille accomodations! Extra for a pot of traditional English (loose) Tea ---shouldn't that be offered to you inclusive of what you are already paying? :confused: Regards, Salacia

Archived