Tulum from Calica

lucyjohnz

We're on the 2/12 cruise on Ecstasy and wanted to go to Tulum (4 of us) while in Calica on Tuesday from 7-4. On the online list of shore excursions from the Calica port, there was no Tulum excursion listed. So, I originally thought we'd take a taxi to Tulum (supposedly 30 miles south of Calica) and see if the driver would wait for us and maybe stop by Cenote (underground caves) on the return trip or even drop us off in Playa Del Carmen for shopping. The other options are to rent a car at the port or to take a $3 bus from Playa Del Carmen to Tulum.

Has anyone taken a taxi to Tulum and how much did it cost? I've heard we can rent a car for around $60 with insurance. This might be a better idea but I'll have to talk my husband into driving.

Thanks for your input - I've posted this same question on the Playa Del Carmen site but I don't think it gets as much traffic as this site.

Last week (Feb 2nd) we did exactly what you are thinking about doing - we went to Tulum and stopped at a cenote on the way back to Calica. We rented a car from Executive (Jeep $70; there were less expensive cars as well) at the pier in Calica. If you decide to do this, you must have a credit card and drivers license with you (sounds obvious I know, but we did see people who were denied because they wanted to pay with cash). Advance reservations are not required. We drove to Tulum, spent about 2 1/2 hours there, then started back toward Calica. On the way we stopped for lunch at Oscar y Lalo's (between Tulum and Akumal) which I HIGHLY recommend, especially for atmosphere; quite possibly the coolest beachside restaurant I have ever visited. They have a beautiful beach with tables just feet from the waterline, gorgeous grounds, good food and margaritas, attentive polite wait staff, and their own cenote. You won't be disappointed. After lunch we stopped at a park with several cenotes. There are quite a few of these parks between Calica and Tulum. If you do this, remember to get pesos in Tulum (there's a money exchange and an ATM machine) because there are no ATMs between Tulum and Playa del Carmen, and the restautrants and cenote parks don't take credit cards.

Hope this helps. Have fun whatever you decide to do.

How much money would you recommend to get for the restaurant - in pesos for 4 people? Is there an entrace fee to Tulum - can you pay by credit card? Also, we'd probably be happy just doing a little swimming at the Cenote at the restaurant - is that allowed? Was Tulum or your recommended restaurant hard to find?

Finally, last trip, we found good shopping in Playa Del Carmen - would you recommend trying to drive there in the rental car and trying to find parking? Or, should we just turn in the car and take a $10 taxi ride to and from PDC?

Thanks for the great information we are also planning on doing this March 16 on the Holiday. We are going to be a big family group so I am going to rent a large van with excutive. The restaurant you stopped at what kind of menu was it? DH and I love Authentic Mexicain food (not TexMex) however my Mom and Dad are not nearly as adventurous. I would also like to know how much money to bring.

Did you see Akumal Bay, that is where we are thinking of visiting to go swimming and snorkeling. We are also thinking of stopping in Playa Del Carmen to do some shopping. How was the driving? Was the road between Calica and Tulum very busy? Anything else you can add would be appreciated.

Allison

How much money would you recommend to get for the restaurant - in pesos for 4 people? Is there an entrace fee to Tulum - can you pay by credit card? Also, we'd probably be happy just doing a little swimming at the Cenote at the restaurant - is that allowed? Was Tulum or your recommended restaurant hard to find?

The dishes at Oscar y Lalo's ranged from about 70 pesos to 350 pesos (350 was a multi-course meal for two). My chicken fajitas were 80 pesos; my husband's barracuda steaks were 70 pesos; margaritas were 40 pesos (To do a rough conversion, divide by ten and you'll have the rough dollar amount, so 80 pesos ~ $8). The restaurant has a beautiful beach with lounge chairs, hammocks, etc. We didn't swim in the cenote there, but I would imagine they allow it since they advertise it on their sign.

You can't miss Tulum, just head south on 307 to kilometer marker 230 (Calica is KM 280) - there's a huge sign directing you to a large parking area. Oscar y Lalo's is a bit trickier. It is located at Soliman Bay which is around KM 240. Approaching from the south, you will turn right (left if approaching from the north) onto a bumpy dirt road. Head east toward the water until the dirt road forks. At the fork will be a sign for Oscar y Lalo directing you to bear left. Oscar y Lalo's is a at the end of the left prong of the fork - you can't miss it since it's the only place there.

Finally, last trip, we found good shopping in Playa Del Carmen - would you recommend trying to drive there in the rental car and trying to find parking? Or, should we just turn in the car and take a $10 taxi ride to and from PDC?

We did drive to Playa at the end of the day (after Oscar y Lalos, we stopped for a couple of hours at the cenotes at Katun Chi - KM 267) but it was already dark when we got there. The main road from 307 to the downtown area was very busy with traffic and pedestrians - I'm from Boston, so I'm used to busy, and it was busy by my standards. We didn't park, we just took a quick (or what we thought would be quick) drive around before heading back to Calica. The rental car had to be back by 7:00, so we were limited. I would have tried to park somewhere if we had gotten there earlier and had more time. We could have taken a taxi back to Playa after returning the car, but we were pretty tired. I recommend checking the shopping area when you are in Tulum - there is a pretty good-sized shopping areas adjacent to the parking area. We got our gift shopping done while we were there early in the day and didn't have to worry about it after that. The prices there seemed reasonable, but I can't compare them to Playa. It seemed more reasonable than Cozumel.

Any more questions, I'll check back...

How much money would you recommend to get for the restaurant - in pesos for 4 people? Is there an entrace fee to Tulum - can you pay by credit card?

Almost forgot - the entrance fee and parking at Tulum requires pesos. They do not take credit cards. You pay the parking as you leave. There is a money exchange if you have dollars already and an ATM that dispenses pesos or dollars. We had both pesos and dollars. The merchants in Tulum took either. Make sure you have enough pesos for Osacr y Lalo's! :)

Thanks for the great information we are also planning on doing this March 16 on the Holiday. We are going to be a big family group so I am going to rent a large van with excutive. The restaurant you stopped at what kind of menu was it? DH and I love Authentic Mexicain food (not TexMex) however my Mom and Dad are not nearly as adventurous. I would also like to know how much money to bring.

Allison

Allison, we were also on the Holiday. You'll have a long day in Playa, so it is well worth renting a vehicle. The menu was authentic - a lot of seafood. definitely not TexMex. Mom and Dad might like enjoy the fajitas, lightly seasoned with veggies - yummy. I'd estimate about 200 pesos per person for the restaurant, but it really depends on what you chose to eat, how long you stay, and how many margaritas you drink. They'll let you sit there all day if you want, and it is tempting :p

Did you see Akumal Bay, that is where we are thinking of visiting to go swimming and snorkeling. We are also thinking of stopping in Playa Del Carmen to do some shopping. How was the driving? Was the road between Calica and Tulum very busy? Anything else you can add would be appreciated.

Allison

Unfortunately we didn't see Akumal bay. It was recommended and I've heard great things, so we have it on our "next time" list. The driving from Calica to Tulum was fine - fast moving, but not busy. Highway 307 is sort of like a 4-lane highway here, except that each side has about 1 1/2 lanes rather than 2 full lanes. They cruise in the left-most (inside) lane which is the wider one. When a faster vehicle approaches from behind, the slower drivers pulls into the right-most (outside) lane to allow the faster driver to pass. You never see anyone passing on the inside. Left turns are a bit weird - if you have cars behind you, pull to the right, allow them to pass, and then turn left. This keeps traffic moving steadily. Not a problem, just something to get used to.

The traffic in Plays was busy - read my above posts about money, shopping, etc.

Glad to answer any other questions you have

:)

You never see anyone passing on the inside.

Oops! I meant you never see anyone passing on the OUTSIDE - meaning right side of the road. They pass on the left the way we're supposed to, but don't always. Important difference!

Thanks so much SoxFan!!!!

Can you tell me about tha shopping at Tulum. Specifically I am looking for Hammocks, lace (tablecloths, cute dresses etc.) chess sets and silver jewlery? What did you do in Cozumel? Did you like the Holiday? Did you already write a review, I don't remember seeing anything from you but I may have missed it.

Thanks again for answering our questions :).

Thanks so much SoxFan!!!!

Can you tell me about tha shopping at Tulum. Specifically I am looking for Hammocks, lace (tablecloths, cute dresses etc.) chess sets and silver jewlery?

They had everything - it was a large area with quite a few shops - probably 20 or more. I saw lots of jewelry, marble chess sets, woven blankets, wooden toys, hammocks and lots of cute dresses & clothes - I bought an adorable dress for my two-year old; a light gauze material with a lace crochet bodice. The shops sold similar items. Since they were competing with each other, you could definitely haggle a good price if you wanted to. I paid $19 for the dress - probably could have done better but didn't think the initial price was bad. Also on 307 between Calica and Tulum I saw a shop that had a lot of hammocks. I don't remember the kilometer marker, but it was on the west side of the highway.

What did you do in Cozumel?

We did the mexican cooking excursion (through Carnival) at Playa Mia. It was a lot of fun. The chef (Pepe) was an absolute character! We weren't going to do an organized excursion, but changed our minds because it sounded interesting - and it was. Back at the pier (we were docked at Punta Lagosta - not Carnival's usual pier), we stopped at Carlos & Charlie's :p Beware of the margaritas there!

Did you like the Holiday? Did you already write a review, I don't remember seeing anything from you but I may have missed it.

Yes we enjoyed it. I haven't written a review yet, but I am planning on it. Another member on our sailing did write a good review - Mrs. Connie - look in this forum for Holiday and/or her name and you should find it. I'll try to get mine out soon.

Archived