QM2 to New England/Canada?

JAMESCC

Thanks guys I'll try and make Sept. 3rd. I'm supposed to be starting a new job the last week in Sept. but no confirmation just yet. I figure when I get confirmation we should take a nice long cruise cause I won't get vacation for a year so why not take one before I start. When I finally get full confirmation I'll book something and the QM2 is still in the running and may match up best for us time wise and overall cruise wise. We will see. JC

When does the 3 Sep sailing dock in Bar Harbor? I want to drive down and see. I am on the 19 Oct sailing into NY and will return to BOS by train and drive to Bar Harbor to meet QM 2 on the 25th.I could not afford to stay on which would have been more fun.

On the September 3rd voyage, the QM2 will be in Bar Harbor on Monday, September 6th. She arrives at 8:00am and departs at 6:00pm. It's a tender port, so your view of her will be at sea not at the dock.

Folks going to Halifax: thought you might be interested in this story about the Seaport Farmer's Market at Pier 22 in Halifax http://www.thecoast.ca/RestaurantandBarNews/archives/2010/08/07/seaport-farmers-market-is-open-to-huge-crowds

From the photos shown there, it looks like the market has been expanded quite a bit from when I was there in 2009.

Bon voyage,

Salacia

Well don't get me wrong I don't mind getting dressed up for dinner on a cruise but when its over the top strict or rules involved I'm not too keen on that.

I don't think Cunard is 'strict' per se - their definition of 'formal' just does not seem to match your definition. :)

I mean you have to have respect for the tradition.

And Cunard's tradition for formal is tux or dark suit. ;)

Me I just love the ships,the ships are the destination. The technological marvel that are modern day cruise ships just twists my mind. I check out ever aspect of the ships I sail on because they are beyond impressive. I try to take in every detail these ships have to offer. I suppose I am MUCH different from most cruisers that just want to have a good time. I want to have a good time but I more want to marvel at the ship itself. JC

QM2 is a ship to experience and if you are that into ships I would recommend going, even if it means wearing a dark suit a few nights. and you can have a very good time dressed up. :D

We will be on the September 3rd sailing- we, meaning 6 people, including a 1 year old, a 3 year old, two 32 year olds, a 62 and a 64 year old. Therefore, just our family encompasses a number of age groups. Likewise, we are not formal people, as you just cannot be with the tiny ones along, but my husband now has a dark suit, and I have a black dress. On most formal nights we plan to just go to the buffet, which is officially "elegant casual" every night, but we are hoping that we can go to the dining room on one formal night. We are a little scared of the formality of the QM2, having sailed RCCL, HAL, Norwegian, and Princess previously, all of which are less strict in their formality. Still, the worst thing that can happen is that people will disapprove of our "elegant casual" attire- that's not going to mar our experience. Looking forward to the cruise!

All your husband now has to do is buy a cheap black bow tie (and black shoes) and instantly he meets the formal code.

Similarly as long as your black dress is not too short then with some nice looking jewellery you will comply.

I would suggest that going to the Kings Court on a formal night is a waste and you will lose out on an experience. From what I can gether your children will be well looked after, so do not worry about that.

I expect that your voyage has some semi-formal nights. For those your husband needs to remove his bow tie and wear a normal tie.

It is not that Cunard is strict about dress codes it is merely that you will get the most out of your experience if you go with the flow. I fully understand your point but if you wear casual dress of formal nights then it is more likely that it will mar your holiday more than other people's holiday.

Peter

Frpm all I read now I really want to go on this QM2 cruise now and just get a dark suit. I can deal with a dark suit but do not want to do a tux at all. As I said I'm waiting on a job offer that the job is "supposed" to start the last week in Sept. so I'm a bit paralyzed till the offer officially comes. Hopefully soon for 2 reason,1 because it means I start a new job and 2 because I can then make plans to go on this QM2 cruise. I love old time ocean liners so this would be a HUGE treat. Hopefully all things work out. Thanks guys for all the info and sorry if I came off as a bit stupid for my concerns over dress codes. JC

Frpm all I read now I really want to go on this QM2 cruise now and just get a dark suit. I can deal with a dark suit but do not want to do a tux at all. As I said I'm waiting on a job offer that the job is "supposed" to start the last week in Sept. so I'm a bit paralyzed till the offer officially comes. Hopefully soon for 2 reason,1 because it means I start a new job and 2 because I can then make plans to go on this QM2 cruise. I love old time ocean liners so this would be a HUGE treat. Hopefully all things work out. Thanks guys for all the info and sorry if I came off as a bit stupid for my concerns over dress codes. JC

Hi JamesCC. Best of luck on that job offer! You're not alone in your concern about the dress code. I'm sure you'll find plenty of occasions to wear your new dark suit if you decide to go on a QM2 cruise. (My dad always said a good suit was a good investment.;) )

Anyway, I hope things work out well for you with the job and the cruise :)

Regards,

Salacia

Hi JamesCC. Best of luck on that job offer! You're not alone in your concern about the dress code. I'm sure you'll find plenty of occasions to wear your new dark suit if you decide to go on a QM2 cruise. (My dad always said a good suit was a good investment.;) )

Anyway, I hope things work out well for you with the job and the cruise :)

Regards,

Salacia

Thank you very much. JC

Archived