Help!! The Carnival Mastercard,I'm So Confused?

GranysT

I would like to use some of our accumulated points on the Carnival MasterCard, before we lose them,but I need some help. I have more than enough points to get a free upgrade from inside to OV,plus $200 off,plus champagne or fruit.

1. Do I pick a cruise and book the inside cabin 1st?

2.Do I have to book it directly with Carnival?

3. Is it best to book it directly with Carnival? ie:easier?

4. Then do I call Capital One and request the 3 certificate's that I will need?

5. Then do I call Carnival and tell them I have the certificate's and request the upgrade and the discounted rate?

6.Do I get to pick what OV cabin I would like,or just take whatever they give me?

7. Is there anything else that I need to know about how this whole process works?

If anyone can help me,I will be eternally grateful. :D

Hey There,

We've only done it for a cash amount off a cruise, like $500 or $1000 off.

I usually call My Travel Agent and book the cruise. Then Call Cap. One and cash in the points.

There is no 'certificate' they just give you a long number that you give to your Travel Agent.

Have never tried the fruit basket or any of that....

x

I always call Capital One first, then get the confirmation number. They tell you to wait 1 or 2 days so that the information will be in Carnival's system. Then you can call Carnival directly, get the best price you can on the sailing, then tell them you are also using the reward certificates.

Did you read all the responses to the other thread you started a few days ago? Quite a few people shared their experiences with redeeming points through Capital One.

Rowan555,do you mean you call Capital One and get the confirmation # before you actually book the cruise? I thought someone had said that you "must" have a cruise booked,before you can get the conf#? Yes, I thought I had read all the postings from before.I'll go back and double check that again tho.Thanks. I had some more questions this time tho. Like do you book directly with Carnival,or can you use a TA? And, do they give you a choice of OV cabins to upgrade to?

If I read it right, if you open up the new Sea Miles credit card, your points will be automatically transferred in June to the new card. I did the thing to get the new card and there are alot more reward opportunities at reasonable points.

Thanks hill6,but I'm not interested in another credit card. I already have one from RCL,and it's much more convenient than the old Carnival card.I just want to use as many points as I can,so not to just lose them,and then cut up that particular card.

Capital One points will accrue through 2-28, and you can redeem them through May.

Yes, you can call Capital One BEFORE booking the cruise - just tell them what you want to redeem the points for, and they will give you a long confirmation number for each reward. Then wait a day or two before booking.

I book directly through Carnival b/c they never give me a problem about using the rewards. Some TA's will give you less of a discount if you are using the cash rewards, and some TA's won't let you use them at all. It's easier for me to just book through Carnival, and I have always gotten a great price.

Rowan,you are so helpful.I really appreciate it. One more question. How long are the rewards good for,once you have the conf #? I may not be cruising until toward the end of Aug.If I call now will they still be good in August?

It is my understanding that you need to REDEEM the points by May 31st. Now I'm not clear on what "Redeem" means exactly, but to be SURE I plan to call Capital One this week and get my $1000 reward confirmation number, and I will BOOK before the end of May, just to be on the safe side. I would hate to call in August and learn that the points are no longer good!

I just redeemed my points for a $1,000 voucher. Capital One told me the redemption must be applied toward the payment of a cruise by 5/31/05. I know in the past the confirmation number was good for one year, but I don't think that applies now, since Carnival is severing ties with them. My final payment on my September 2005 cruise isn't due until July, but I had them go ahead and apply the $1,000 off my balance now. My TA called to confirm that it's been taken care of, and I now owe $1,000 less on my final balance. Since they've been known to give erroneous information, I would go ahead and try to use it and apply it by the 5/31/05 deadline to be on the safe side.

Ok everyone,lets see if I have this right?(1) I call Capital One and get my confirmation # for the points I want to redeem. In this case,I want an upgrade to Ocean View.$200 off cruise price,and a fruit basket,so I need to get 3 different confirmation #'s,right so far? (2)THEN I can go online directly to Carnival's cruise site,and book the sailing I want,and at this time I book an inside cabin (4A). I give them my credit card,for the deposit,and the cruise is set to go.(3) A couple of days later,I call Carnival direct and give them the 3 conf #.(4) Carnival then upgrades me to an OceanView cabin,takes $200 off bottom line cost of my cruise,and will have a fruit basket in my cabin when I get on the ship. Have I missed anything,or do I have this down pat? (Finally?) Sorry to be so obtuse about all this.I just want to be absolutely certain that I'm following all the right steps and doing it all correctly. :D

Granys, I believe what you stated is correct on how you go about redeeming your points. However, I would be sure they have inside cabins available to book before you go ahead and get a confirmation number. Is there any reason you aren't just going ahead and booking your cruise first?

Rowan, the reason I said that is because the OP mentioned she wanted to use some of her points for an upgrade from an inside to an OV. I just wanted her to be sure they actually have insides available to book for the sailing she is interested in. I'd hate to see her redeem her points, get her confirmation number, and then find out they don't have available what she is looking for. They always say the least expensive and most expensive cabins sell out first.

Ok everyone,lets see if I have this right?(1) I call Capital One and get my confirmation # for the points I want to redeem. In this case,I want an upgrade to Ocean View.$200 off cruise price,and a fruit basket,so I need to get 3 different confirmation #'s,right so far? (2)THEN I can go online directly to Carnival's cruise site,and book the sailing I want,and at this time I book an inside cabin (4A). I give them my credit card,for the deposit,and the cruise is set to go.(3) A couple of days later,I call Carnival direct and give them the 3 conf #.(4) Carnival then upgrades me to an OceanView cabin,takes $200 off bottom line cost of my cruise,and will have a fruit basket in my cabin when I get on the ship. Have I missed anything,or do I have this down pat? (Finally?) Sorry to be so obtuse about all this.I just want to be absolutely certain that I'm following all the right steps and doing it all correctly. :D

1.Right

2.WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3.Sort of

4.Right

Call Cap1 and get your confirmation numbers.Look on CCL site and find what you want with prices then call them because internet sales our handled by internet sales dept, so call and get a PVP so you always have someone to call that is not on the end of an email.

You MUST book a Cat 4B and the ship you want must have 6Bs on it so this eliminates the Spirit,Pride,Legend, and the Miracle and the ship you want to book must have 6Bs available so this is why you call and book and apply the rewards all in the same call. Do not let them hang up and tell you to call promotions, call during regular hours and tell them to bring promotions on the line with you as they are your PVP and let them personally handle your redemptions.Insist they FAX your confirmation over right away so if you don't have a fax,find someone who does and use theirs.Since the program is ending you don't want any screw up that results in your points being credited back.

Steve

Me again, Wow,now I have question's again. I was told earlier that you book a 4A and get upgraded to a 6A,now Steve says a 4B and upgraded to a 6B,which is CORRECT Please? I am trying to book on Triumph,5 nights out of NYC. I have checked the website,and there are several 4A rooms avaliable. I didn't think to check for 6A's avaliable tho. Or should I be checking 4B's and 6B's avaliability? Also, what is the number I should call at Carnival to get this PVP. (Does that stand for "Personal Vacation Planner"?) Help :D

I'm still working on this,I'll let you know how it all turns out. Checked Carnival's website,and got the cruise date picked.Checked for both 4B's and 6B's avaliability,and picked cabin #'s. Husband got that date ok'd at work,for vacation.Called Capital One,but credit card is in my husband's name,and they wouldn't work with me,even tho I'm an authorized user.:) Waiting for hubby to get home and tell me how it worked out with him calling Capital One. Then I'll call Carnival and see how that works out. Checked airlines for flights,still have to book a hotel room for 1 night in NY. Am I getting there yet? :D

Archived