Bay of Fundy form Nova Scotia, bestplace? Mona?

hi all! especially those from the area, i could use some help! Mona? since we will not be going to new brunswick, we really wanted to see the tides in the bay of fundy. we have a car rented and plan to get going ASAP and head up the #101, is that the best? and where is the best area to view, wolfville, canning or further west??? thanks for any and all help, martha

Drive from Wolfville to Hall's Harbour to see the Bay of Fundy. (Drive is less that two hours from Halifax.) Check with Google Maps, but yes you take the 101. They have you going from Kentville, but I would do it from Wolfville via Canning because it is a nice drive.

While you are there if it isn't too late in the season you can enjoy lobster fresh caught and cooked at the wharf.

http://www.hallsharbour.org/attractions.html

Sorry catergirl, busy weekend, but looks like maryann has given you the best advice. I haven't been to Hall's Harbour yet but I understand you do get some good views of the tide there. I would still stop in Wolfville, it's a nice little town and there is a boardwalk around the waterfront where you get some good views of Cape Blomidon and the mudflats when the tide is out. Last time I was there we saw a bunch of the university students playing out in the mud, quite funny to watch. No doubt people pay big money for the same kind of mud "treatments" at a spa LOL.

I fully agree with the reports that Hall's Harbour will give you the best views of the Bay of Fundy tides. (I live about 10 minutes from there).

You will need Several hours to see both the high and the low tides, but if you don't have that much time, and you arrive at low tide, you will be able to imagine the difference in the tide heights, since the fishing boats will be sitting on dry rocks, some 30 feet below the top level of the wharf.

Take the 101 highway to the First Wolfville exit (#10) then follow the #1 highway WEST through Grand Pre, Wolfville,up to Greenwich, where you will turn right (NORTH) just past the Irving Station and take Highway #358 North through Port Williams to Canning, where you will turn left (West) onto Highway 221. Travel along the 221 until you get to the community of Centreville, and turn Right (north) onto Highway 359. That road will take you over the "North Mountain" to Hall's Harbour!.

When you are "done" in Halls Harbour, follow the 359 SOUTH back down the mountain go through Centreville, and all the way to the end of the 359, that will bring you into Kentville, where you can get onto Highway #12 South, and travel to Chester (about 50 KM) then follow Highway #3 East along the Atlantic coast back to Halifax, and your ship.

I should warn you to be carefull going through Wolfville though. They had SNOW there yesterday:eek: (August 9 2010). Yes there WAS SNOW EVERYWHERE.:eek: It was not all bad though... it was still 27 degrees C (81 degrees F) and the snow was all fake - they are filming a movie there this week - lol:rolleyes:.

hi - we will be in halifax in early october and wanted to walk on the ocean floor as well as see the tide come in - i was told that the best place to do this was at burnt coat head light house - is that right? - how long would it take to drive there from halifax - or is it better to go to hall's harbour? - thanks in advance for any help

hi - we will be in halifax in early october and wanted to walk on the ocean floor as well as see the tide come in - i was told that the best place to do this was at burnt coat head light house - is that right? - how long would it take to drive there from halifax - or is it better to go to hall's harbour? - thanks in advance for any help

Either trip would be do-able from Halifax. I've personally never been to Burntcoat Head, but I googled it, and the best way to get there would be to take Highway 101 as far as Windsor (about 1/2 way to Wolfville) then take the highway 14 north to the junction with highway 215, then follow highway 215 around the Noel Shore side of the Minas Basin. I've done this drive as far as Summerville, but never any farther. It is "pretty country" out there, lots to look at. The "park" is on the oppoite side of the Minas basin froom Wolfville, so you would not be able to do BOTH on one port day from a cruise ship.

Either way, enjoy your day in Nova Scotia. We love it here.:)

Either trip would be do-able from Halifax. I've personally never been to Burntcoat Head, but I googled it, and the best way to get there would be to take Highway 101 as far as Windsor (about 1/2 way to Wolfville) then take the highway 14 north to the junction with highway 215, then follow highway 215 around the Noel Shore side of the Minas Basin. I've done this drive as far as Summerville, but never any farther. It is "pretty country" out there, lots to look at. The "park" is on the oppoite side of the Minas basin froom Wolfville, so you would not be able to do BOTH on one port day from a cruise ship.

Either way, enjoy your day in Nova Scotia. We love it here.:)

Thanks so much for the helpful info.

Archived