Astoria & Customs

• 3 weeks later...

I just saw this thread, hopefully I'm not answering after your trip. Anyway, we stopped in Astoria on the Sapphire Princess Pacific Coast cruise at the beginning of the Alaska season in May, going south to north, having only been to US ports. There was absolutely no delay at all in disembarking.

We LOVED our stop in Astoria. We had never been there before and were so impressed. It's such a scenic waterfront walk into town and the people were SOOOOOOOO friendly. If you even think about crossing the street, everyone stops for you and waves. We were greeted by the "Homecoming Queen" and her court, and more volunteers helping visitors than I've ever seen anywhere. The volunteers were at the port, all along the walk into town, and downtown.

There is a free trolley into town, or you can take the shuttle bus for $7.

We hope you enjoy your stop there. We really enjoyed ourselves and hope to return again.

• 1 month later...

You'll only go though Customs in Astoria if you've come from a Canadian port. This happened to us a few years ago on the Oosterdam - it took about an hour or two for the whole process to be completed. While it was a major pain, it didn't really detract from our time in Astoria since it occured at 7am - so if anything, it gave us more time in port because we had to be up early!

Archived